Sign in to follow this  
Blail Blerg

Pelta builds that aren't squadron pushers

1 hour ago, GiledPallaeon said:

The other use of StM that @Darth Veggie IIRC thwacked me with is a bunch of TFA Hammerheads. Obviously this is better with the stacking TFA interpretation, but four of those little buggers, add TFA, poof, you have four recoveries a round. Not half bad.

Yes, Pelta, StM, Raymus, projection experts, Leia (Admiral) + 4 HH with TFA can absorb an insane amount of damage (stacking interpretation presupposed). 

I run a Commander Leia Entrapment Formation Assault Pelta. I use the Pelta and a flotilla to flak and back up my Tycho/Shara/Blount screen. This frees up the TR90 and two MC30s to not bother with Navigate commands and just ConFire. Though it's fun to take Navigate on turn 2 and have the MC30s get +/- 3 speed for a turn. 

Edited by Church14

19 minutes ago, Church14 said:

I run a Commander Leia Entrapment Formation Assault Pelta. I use the Pelta and a flotilla to flak and back up my Tycho/Shara/Blount screen. This frees up the TR90 and two MC30s to not bother with Navigate commands and just ConFire. Though it's fun to take Navigate on turn 2 and have the MC30s get +/- 3 speed for a turn. 

i think come "intensify (forward?) firepower" ill be doing similar but in reverse - using permanent Manoeuvre orders (you don't get the extra click with Ent.For.) and having the Pelta give me that extra firepower. 

17 minutes ago, GammonLord said:

i think come "intensify (forward?) firepower" ill be doing similar but in reverse - using permanent Manoeuvre orders (you don't get the extra click with Ent.For.) and having the Pelta give me that extra firepower. 

This is why I use the Entrapment Formation! on my Pelta. I have found that having the speed change option makes up for the loss of yaw from a nav command. This allows me to use CF commands much more!

Edited by itzSteve

What I would run. 

Leia Gangbang 

Faction: Rebel Alliance

Commander: Leia Organa

Assault Objective: Opening Salvo
Defense Objective: Hyperspace Assault
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

Modified Pelta-class Assault Ship (56 points)
-  Toryn Farr  ( 7  points) 
-  Projection Experts  ( 6  points) 
-  External Racks  ( 3  points) 
= 72 total ship cost

Hammerhead Scout Corvette (41 points)
-  Quad Battery Turrets  ( 5  points) 
= 46 total ship cost

Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette (36 points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points) 
= 43 total ship cost

= 43 total ship cost

= 43 total ship cost

[ flagship ] CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
-  Leia Organa  ( 38  points) 
 Jainas Light  ( 2  points) 
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points) 
= 91 total ship cost

4 A-Wing Squadrons ( 44 points) 
2 Z-95 Headhunter Squadrons ( 14 points) 

Maybe Sato Doesn't Suck Anymore?
Author: shmitty

Faction: Rebel Alliance

Commander: Commander Sato

Assault Objective: Opening Salvo
Defense Objective: Fire Lanes
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

[ flagship ] Modified Pelta-class Assault Ship (56 points)
-  Commander Sato  ( 32  points)
-  Raymus Antilles  ( 7  points)
-  Shields to Maximum!  ( 6  points)
= 110 total ship cost

Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette (36 points)
Task Force Antilles  ( 3  points)
-  Assault Concussion Missiles  ( 7  points)
= 50 total ship cost

= 50 total ship cost

= 50 total ship cost

= 50 total ship cost

1 Tycho Celchu ( 16 points)
1 Han Solo ( 26 points)
1 Shara Bey ( 17 points)
1 Hera Syndulla ( 28 points)

2 hours ago, shmitty said:

Maybe Sato Doesn't Suck Anymore?
Author: shmitty

Faction: Rebel Alliance

Commander: Commander Sato

Assault Objective: Opening Salvo
Defense Objective: Fire Lanes
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

[ flagship ] Modified Pelta-class Assault Ship (56 points)
= 110 total ship cost

= 50 total ship cost

= 50 total ship cost

= 50 total ship cost

= 50 total ship cost

1 Han Solo ( 26 points)
1 Shara Bey ( 17 points)
1 Hera Syndulla ( 28 points)

Would it be worth trying to fit D-Caps onto the Hammerheads with Sato? 3 points buys you one more die on the first round of engagements, or so I'd think. I might give something like this a try, but maybe APTs and D-Caps in lieu of ACMs... 

7 minutes ago, IronNerd said:

Would it be worth trying to fit D-Caps onto the Hammerheads with Sato? 3 points buys you one more die on the first round of engagements, or so I'd think. I might give something like this a try, but maybe APTs and D-Caps in lieu of ACMs... 

That has some potential, but I really liked the massed ACM fire.  It would just chew stuff apart.  DCaps would be worth experimenting with for sure to see if that extra 1 die mattered.

My third round opponent in an SC had a Dodonna build with two MC30s, a CR90 with Dodonna's Pride, a HH with Garel's Honor, and an "Entrapment Formation!" pelta. The pelta really helps out with the placement of ships, especially with adjusting where Garel's Honor needs to go in order to ram. It also helps out the MC30s, helping them get into black dice range. The pelta also had ER, and I accidentally put my MC30 right in its front arc, where it unloaded 7 dice, allowing one his MC30s to finish off mine.

9 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

here, I've run it like this. A defensive deploy works well as 1st or 2nd player. 2nd Player is better for this build. Probably not a great tournament list, I'm sure a couple of Mc30s or a serious squadron fleet would cripple it, but it's survivable if nothing else. 

STM 

Commander: Commander Sato

Assault Objective: Advanced Gunnery
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

[ flagship ] MC80 Assault Cruiser (114 points)
 Defiance  ( 5  points) 
-  Engineering Team  ( 5  points) 
-  Redundant Shields  ( 8  points) 
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points) 
-  X17 Turbolasers  ( 6  points) 
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points) 
= 181 total ship cost

= 75 total ship cost

Nebulon-B Support Refit (51 points)
 Redemption  ( 8  points) 
= 65 total ship cost

GR-75 Medium Transports (18 points)
-  Comms Net  ( 2  points) 
= 20 total ship cost

3 Y-Wing Squadrons ( 30 points) 
1 HWK-290 ( 12 points) 

Nifty. 

Okay.  What is the point of using a Pelta, over say a MC30?  I am actually much fonder of my MC30 than I am of my Pelta, but I want to give the Pelta another chance before relegating it to Rieekan hype. 

When I evaluate these, it seems to come down to this. What do I really get out of the Pelta that I cannot get for similar returns on the MC30?  Dropping STM for ET sounds like you really just wanted speed 3.  (Unless you went ramming, which I don't think is that strategically valuable...?) 

Btw shmitty, maybe you had more success with it, but I found 3 As + Hera to be extremely wasteful and not useful.  Couldn't even kill a tie fighter with them. =/ Overwhelmed. 

@Blail Blerg surely comparing MC30s to Peltas is like apples and oranges. Of course MC30s do MC30 stuff better, they're MC30s :D The Pelta can help them do this better (all the fleet commands) and has good AS, something MC30s dont (especially w/regard Stronghold). If "Intensify Firepower!" turns out to be an AS buff the Pelta will help even more so. 

Someone mentioned earlier having the Pelta as a speed 2 finisher for MC30s. Like this idea. It can just cruise on after them and finish off anything that limps by them.

52 minutes ago, GammonLord said:

@Blail Blerg surely comparing MC30s to Peltas is like apples and oranges. Of course MC30s do MC30 stuff better, they're MC30s :D The Pelta can help them do this better (all the fleet commands) and has good AS, something MC30s dont (especially w/regard Stronghold). If "Intensify Firepower!" turns out to be an AS buff the Pelta will help even more so. 

Someone mentioned earlier having the Pelta as a speed 2 finisher for MC30s. Like this idea. It can just cruise on after them and finish off anything that limps by them.

Well.. what do they do that Mc30s don;t? If we remove some obvious answers of squadroning.  And AA flak.  (these aren't unworthy, but what else?)

Which of the fleet commands really do efficient things?  Also, I'm kind of asking due to some people saying that they'd remove the STM or Entrapment or whatever and go for ET instead, saying they wish they had that.  

Now, I actually do tabletop-exp-get that speed 2 back line is a good thing, but theoretically, why not simply have another MC30 go speed 2 there? 

I guess the point cost is somewhat cheaper, but dang, the mc30 just bring so much hp and firepower to the table. 

They do, and i can totally see the "trading down" logic of taking the Pelta (MC30 is my fav ship), but the value of the fleet commands shouldn't be diminished. It's THE reason to take the Pelta and build a fleet around it. MC30s jumping from speed 1 - 4 to position a double arc your opponent can do nothing about is priceless. The Pelta makes it happen in its support ship role.  

This is an unusual - and successful build, with TWO assault Peltas and MOTHMA!!!

(thanks to @Aresius for the tip)

France Runner up 2017 
Author: Green Knight

Commander: Mon Mothma

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Custom Objective
Navigation Objective: Custom Objective

MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63 points)
 Admonition  ( 8  points) 
-  Lando Calrissian  ( 4  points) 
= 86 total ship cost

MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63 points)
 Foresight  ( 8  points) 
= 82 total ship cost

[ flagship ] Modified Pelta-class Assault Ship (56 points)
-  Mon Mothma  ( 30  points) 
-  Entrapment Formation!  ( 5  points) 
= 100 total ship cost

= 71 total ship cost

Bright Hope  ( 2  points) 
-  Toryn Farr  ( 7  points) 
= 29 total ship cost

-  Ahsoka Tano  ( 2  points) 
= 22 total ship cost

Card view link

Fleet created with Armada Warlords

31 minutes ago, GammonLord said:

Nice build! any info on what it went up against and how the games went?

No details, except there were other ship heavy builds. The winner was Ackbar h1 with 2 cr90a and 2 cr90b and 2 flotilla, no squads.

Edited by Green Knight

3 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Which of the fleet commands really do efficient things?  Also, I'm kind of asking due to some people saying that they'd remove the STM or Entrapment or whatever and go for ET instead, saying they wish they had that. 

Entrapment Formation is pretty legit at letting your ships do whatever they actually wanted to do while changing speed for "free." Saves you a fair amount of hassle on getting nav tokens or command dials around otherwise. Shields to Max is better in practice than you'd imagine in theory and has some extra synergy with Task Force Antilles Hammerheads and Projection Experts. Keeping a ship or two alive one more turn can have cascading benefits that aren't immediately obvious.

The Assault Pelta is never going to out-MC30 the MC30 because it's just not designed to be a dedicated torpedo boat like the MC30 is. It's a VSD-I-lite ship with a strong support ability. If your fleet can utilize that, great. If not, then use something else.

4 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

With the build I listed previously in the first page of this thread, the Entrapment Formation! really helps my other 2 MC30's position themselves better to set up for their attack runs. Having the ability to go from speed 1 to speed 4 (EF!+nav command+nav token) with a mc30 is a thing of beauty and something your opponent just shakes his head at. :D

I also have ET on my Pelta, so the EF! + Raymus let's the Pelta have that speed 3 feel all the time...especially since the yaw values on it are sooooo good too!

Edited by itzSteve

10 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Okay.  What is the point of using a Pelta, over say a MC30?  I am actually much fonder of my MC30 than I am of my Pelta, but I want to give the Pelta another chance before relegating it to Rieekan hype. 

When I evaluate these, it seems to come down to this. What do I really get out of the Pelta that I cannot get for similar returns on the MC30?  Dropping STM for ET sounds like you really just wanted speed 3.  (Unless you went ramming, which I don't think is that strategically valuable...?) 

Btw shmitty, maybe you had more success with it, but I found 3 As + Hera to be extremely wasteful and not useful.  Couldn't even kill a tie fighter with them. =/ Overwhelmed. 

The squadrons in that fleet were chosen more with Sato in mind than anything else.  I've found Rogue + Grit to be really useful in to getting into position for Sato's ability to trigger which is why I included Han and Hera.  Tycho is also a no-brainer with Sato.  In play I used them to finish squadrons, but mostly tried to force my opponent to spread out to engage them.  The HHs and Pelta did most of the work against squadrons with their flak dice.  I actually managed to drop 17 Z-95s in one game with that fleet.

For my fleet at least, the interaction between TF:A, STM!, and Proj Experts made the Assault Pelta shine.  It made the HHs surprisingly tough and let them do most of the real damage.  The Pelta was there for support and flak, it rarely shot at ships.

53 minutes ago, Rettere said:

How about two command peltas with nothing but disposable capacitors for ultimate long range death???

* "ultimate long range death" defined as 3 blues, 3 red, Concentrate Fire order not included in this offer, Turbo Lasers not allowed in tandem with Pelta "ultimate long range death", some experiences may differ from the "ultimate long range death" described.

:D