Sign in to follow this  
Blail Blerg

Pelta builds that aren't squadron pushers

Okay, so I've got plenty of PTSD for squadron pushing Peltas.  I bought one to keep up with the meta, but I haven't found a good use for it other than clubbing baby seals with squadrons. Taking suggestions for non-squadron-oriented Pelta ideas. 

Something with the support slot? Something gunny and interesting? 

The problem is that the other cards are not that good. Entrapment with Madine is good, but the Pelta is too expensive for the extra flexibility it adds. The real issue is speed 2. With that and its charz the Pelta is always an easy target. So you should add ET only to keep it alive butat this point you are almost on the level of a cheap MC30...

2 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Okay, so I've got plenty of PTSD for squadron pushing Peltas.  I bought one to keep up with the meta, but I haven't found a good use for it other than clubbing baby seals with squadrons. Taking suggestions for non-squadron-oriented Pelta ideas. 

Something with the support slot? Something gunny and interesting? 

I haven't used the Pelta much, but I've always liked the idea of it being a host for STM!, as my fleets always need repairing. So just an Assault Pelta with STM!, and maybe ER if you want to make it a bit threatening. Especialy if you include Dolphins or 80s in your fleet, as things tend to take some hard hits, and need all the help they can get.

I don't remember who it was, but somebody wrote an article on how to use the Command Pelta (and to a lesser extent, the Assault) as a combat vessel of creditable threat for the last Article Challenge Biggs ran.

Engine Techs as standard, Assault version to hose down squadrons, maybe a tasty ordnance upgrade? Ive had fun with an Assault with expanded launchers playing wingman to my Liberty. Makes fighter balls think twice (especially in these dark, Sloanie times we live in - i know you're not the greatest fan of dem squadrons @Blail Blerg :D) and is hard to ignore with a single arc kicking out 4 blacks and 2 reds.

Yeah it comes in at 77, but you're not getting a tooled up MC30 for that, plus an MC30 cant do anti squadron duty (hello Stronghold) and doesn't want to babysit a Lib/other big ship. The Assault Pelta does.

What with the advent of "Intensify Firepower"/ what ever it is, i reckon a non-squadron pushing Pelta is going to become more of a thing, and certainly so with more hull 3 squadrons about. Not to mention with hull five and good defence token spread, the Pelta can have surprising durability. 

Edited by GammonLord

4 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

Actually, you can get a tooled up 30 for 77: OE+APT+RBDs. Pretty much all you need to successfully run a 30. 

Pretty much all you need is different from tooled up, though. :) I'd say that includes at least a title, probably H9s and an officer as well, whereas OE + APT is the bare bones build.

I haven't been able to try this yet, but it seems Shields to Maximum would work well with a pack of Antilles Hammerheads shuffling damage around to get more out of the shield regen and avoid the focus fire problem. External Racks across the board, including the Pelta. Raymus + Ahsoka for neverending tokens, or bank one + Veteran Captain + Hondo + discard for four uses. Maybe Mon Mothma so that the little buggers might actually survive a round to regen, or Leia for fun super commands.

Looking forward to seeing what the new fleet command does, too. I might have to push the Pelta up in my buy queue if it's good.

19 minutes ago, Mad Cat said:

I like Pelta with STM, Projection experts and Ray Antilles.

Send 2 shields over to a bigger ship and repair one of them for 4 repair points. Bank the token to spend on STM repairing the shield you didn't repair and another one on all ships in the fleet.

How many ships you get shot at the same time? In my experience opponets tend to focus in one, two as much, of your ships and with enough firepower to make the "shields to maximum" an overcosted cute card.

I've found STM/Proj Experts Pelta Assault in the right build worthwhile.  You need a tankish ship that can dish out damage that can go forward enough to draw your opponent's fire.  The Pelta then acts to guard a flank or key portion of the ship.  If done correctly, they should have a very hard time getting at the Pelta and a very hard time taking down the tanking ship.

This is one possible version of the assault Pelta. 78 is a lot of pts, but if you use it to say keep your kig, bad BC aline, it might me worth it.

What I do want to do, is test it with a Sato HH swarm.

Modified Pelta-class Assault Ship (56 points)
-  Raymus Antilles  ( 7  points) 
-  Projection Experts  ( 6  points) 
-  External Racks  ( 3  points) 
-  Shields to Maximum!  ( 6  points) 
= 78 total ship cost

11 minutes ago, Vergilius said:

I've found STM/Proj Experts Pelta Assault in the right build worthwhile.  You need a tankish ship that can dish out damage that can go forward enough to draw your opponent's fire.  The Pelta then acts to guard a flank or key portion of the ship.  If done correctly, they should have a very hard time getting at the Pelta and a very hard time taking down the tanking ship.

I second this. 

Projection experts and shield to max next to an mc80 spec'd to defend, hella sweet combo... I've got one that recovers 10 shields a round on the mc80... while still dealing out a decent offensive 

51 minutes ago, xerpo said:

How many ships you get shot at the same time? In my experience opponets tend to focus in one, two as much, of your ships and with enough firepower to make the "shields to maximum" an overcosted cute card.

If you have a fleet of flankers or close range ships (say, an 80 and 2 30s) it's entirely likely that all three will be taking damage, as the 80 is a threat they must take out, and the 30s are dangerous and in their rear. Given the positioning of the 30s, it's seldom possible for just 1 to be focused on.

2 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I second this. 

Projection experts and shield to max next to an mc80 spec'd to defend, hella sweet combo... I've got one that recovers 10 shields a round on the mc80... while still dealing out a decent offensive 

10?! How? 2 from the 80's dial, 1 from the token, 1 from Redundant Shields, 2 from PE, and 1 from STM! = 7. Where're the other 3 coming from? Other PE ships? I gotta try this!

Yup, thirding the StM and Projection Experts build. Raymus works wonderfully, but if you can keep the ship alive you can get around needing him. IIRC, Hondo, taking a token turn 1, vet captain, and a comms net GR will let you cheat your way through it every turn, so you CAN use it with Leia or if Raymus is needed elsewhere for things.

3 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

10?! How? 2 from the 80's dial, 1 from the token, 1 from Redundant Shields, 2 from PE, and 1 from STM! = 7. Where're the other 3 coming from? Other PE ships? I gotta try this!

I put engineering teams on the 80 and throw in a neb-b with redemption (+1) and redemption has PE as well (+2)

6 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I put engineering teams on the 80 and throw in a neb-b with redemption (+1) and redemption has PE as well (+2)

That's quite an expensive build. What else do you run? I tried it, and barely have room for 1 dolphin and 2 yt-2400 with Dodonna. If it was a CC build, it wouldn't be a problem, but at 400 points, what else do you add to make it threatening?

Just now, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

That's quite an expensive build. What else do you run? I tried it, and barely have room for 1 dolphin and 2 yt-2400 with Dodonna. If it was a CC build, it wouldn't be a problem, but at 400 points, what else do you add to make it threatening?

here, I've run it like this. A defensive deploy works well as 1st or 2nd player. 2nd Player is better for this build. Probably not a great tournament list, I'm sure a couple of Mc30s or a serious squadron fleet would cripple it, but it's survivable if nothing else. 

STM 

Faction: Rebel Alliance

Commander: Commander Sato

Assault Objective: Advanced Gunnery
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

[ flagship ] MC80 Assault Cruiser (114 points)
-  Commander Sato  ( 32  points) 
 Defiance  ( 5  points) 
-  Engineering Team  ( 5  points) 
-  Redundant Shields  ( 8  points) 
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points) 
-  X17 Turbolasers  ( 6  points) 
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points) 
= 181 total ship cost

Modified Pelta-class Assault Ship (56 points)
-  Shields to Maximum!  ( 6  points) 
= 75 total ship cost

Nebulon-B Support Refit (51 points)
 Redemption  ( 8  points) 
= 65 total ship cost

GR-75 Medium Transports (18 points)
-  Comms Net  ( 2  points) 
= 20 total ship cost

1 Tycho Celchu ( 16 points) 
3 Y-Wing Squadrons ( 30 points) 
1 HWK-290 ( 12 points) 

1 hour ago, xerpo said:

A minimum of two. If using Projection experts on a friendly ship that has just seen intense combat STM gives one to this and one to the Pelta to recover one of the shields you just gave away. Any other friendly ships that have taken damage can then be treated as icing on the cake. 5 points for this is better than spending 16 poits on 2 sets of regenerate shields.

I particularly like this when playing Dangerous Territory. Place the wreckage obstacles near your fleet and STM can recover your damage, sometimes before combat with the enemy begins.

One of our locals has been running a cheap Assault Pelta with External Racks and Shields to Max or Entrapment Formation (depending) with some means of feeding tokens (Raymus or Comms Net GR75 or whatever) and having some success with it.

Basically he runs it as a finisher ship. It lags behind his front-line swarm (Hammerheads, CR90s, Neb-Bs, MC30s) and throws harassment red dice until it's in range to deliver a mighty wallop to something that was crippled but not killed.

Prior to External Racks existing I wouldn't have been very impressed, but it does a pretty decent job this way and isn't very expensive. Not sure just yet if it's top tier but it's at least decent.

I ran a Assault Pelta at a store championship recently and had a lot of fun with it. It was a Dodonna list and I put Entrapment Formation! on the Pelta. Dodonna crits with Ozzel shenanigans is very hard for a opponent to deal with, whether you go first or second. Putting Raymus on the Pelta also allowed me to run ET! in every round but the first. I used it as a finisher to follow behind a MC30. Here is the list I ran:

Dodonna's Ozzel Shenanigans 
Author: itzSteve

Faction: Rebel Alliance

Commander: General Dodonna

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Planetary Ion Cannon
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

[ flagship ] Modified Pelta-class Assault Ship (56 points)
-  General Dodonna  ( 20  points) 
-  Engine Techs  ( 8  points) 
-  Entrapment Formation!  ( 5  points) 
= 99 total ship cost

MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63 points)
 Admonition  ( 8  points) 
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points) 
-  Assault Proton Torpedoes  ( 5  points) 
= 80 total ship cost

MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63 points)
-  Lando Calrissian  ( 4  points) 
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points) 
-  Assault Proton Torpedoes  ( 5  points) 
= 76 total ship cost

Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette (36 points)
 Garel's Honor  ( 4  points) 
= 43 total ship cost

Bright Hope  ( 2  points) 
-  Toryn Farr  ( 7  points) 
-  Jamming Field  ( 2  points) 
= 29 total ship cost

-  Comms Net  ( 2  points)