Fenn Nym N'Dru

=================
[Fenn Nym N'Dru]
==================

98 points

Pilots
------

Fenn Rau (34)
Protectorate Starfighter (28), Push the Limit (3), Concord Dawn Protector (1), Autothrusters (2)

Captain Nym (41)
Scurrg H-6 Bomber (30), Veteran Instincts (1), Ion Cannon Turret (5), Bomblet Generator (3), Havoc (0), Fire Control System (2), “Genius” (0)

N’Dru Suhlak (23)
Z-95 Headhunter (17), Cruise Missiles (3), Glitterstim (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Guidance Chips (0)

=====================

The idea here is to use Nym as a decoy/range controller of sorts to allow Fenn and N'Dru to pincer the enemy, thus the Ion Cannon Turret. Fenn would flank Nym while N'Dru comes from far afield. Nym will use ICT amd BG to help create predictable movements from the opposing ships so the other two ships can easily position themselves to unleash devastating attacks- N'Dru with 6 dice glittered Cruise Missiles from range 3, and Fenn's 5 dice range 1 with TL and Focus.  

I would definitely

Change FCS to Advanced Sensors on Nym for more efficient bombing and range control.

Change Cruise Missiles to Cluster Missiles, because I rather want 2 4-dice attacks (4 dice because of his pilot ability).

Change VI on Nym to Adaptability for PS 9 for a 1-point initiative bid against other PS 9s. Its also nice they are all PS 9, so you are able to move your ships in the order you want.

3 hours ago, Everyday Ace said:

I would definitely

Change FCS to Advanced Sensors on Nym for more efficient bombing and range control.

Change Cruise Missiles to Cluster Missiles, because I rather want 2 4-dice attacks (4 dice because of his pilot ability).

Change VI on Nym to Adaptability for PS 9 for a 1-point initiative bid against other PS 9s. Its also nice they are all PS 9, so you are able to move your ships in the order you want.

Unfortunately I would not do any of this, aside from maybe the Cluster Missiles. Nym must be a 10 with a bid right now. I also don't care for Advanced Sensors w/o Engine Upgrade. 

3 hours ago, wfain said:

Unfortunately I would not do any of this, aside from maybe the Cluster Missiles. Nym must be a 10 with a bid right now. I also don't care for Advanced Sensors w/o Engine Upgrade. 

So... are you looking for commentary, or just letting us know Nym is still, after no new waves,  a good frame regardless of buildout?

Commentary is great. I didn't understand the premise of playing Nym at 9 when everyone flies him at 10? If you care to expound upon why you like that idea I'm all ears. 

Ok I will explain. The reason to run Nym at PS 9 in my suggestion is, that with the changes I suggest makes your list cost 100 points and then your Nym probably loose initiative against other Nyms anyway. But by taking Adaptability instead of VI you give all your ships a PS 9 initiative bid against other PS 9s Quickdraws, Fenns, Dengars...and when all your ships are at the same PS you decide which one to move first, second and last. This choice of which to move first can prevent bumbing and give positional advantages (especially in astroidfields) - I think everybody has experienced situations in a game, where you wished, that your ships could be moved in another order than PS order.
My suggestions is just, what I would do running your list, because I think its better - whatever you choose good luck :) 

4 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

I was too set on finagling Cad in there somehow

I wish I could figure out a decent place to play Cad Bane next to Nym. I tried Expertise Boba, but it wasn't quite good enough. Maybe if Boba took the Bomblet Generator and Nym took Minefield Mapper and R4-E1? So something like this:

Nym w/ VI, TLT, EM, Cluster Mine x2, Havoc, MM, R4-E1= 48

Boba w/ Expertise, Bomblet, Cad, Engine= 52

On 8/27/2017 at 2:04 PM, Everyday Ace said:

Change Cruise Missiles to Cluster Missiles, because I rather want 2 4-dice attacks

I've been thinking about this some but I think the 5-6 dice Cruise Missile will average more damage than the 6-8 dice Cluster Missile. On the Cluster Missile you won't get any re-rolls and you can only use Guidance Chips on 1 die throughout the two rolls whereas the Cruise Missile allows you to use the TL to re-roll blank results (past the 1 you can change with GC). A 5 dice F+TL+GC attack (equivalent to speed 3 Cruise Missile from N'Dru) against a 1 Agility ship with no tokens is expected to do something close to 4.6 damage while an 8 dice Cluster Missile attack with F+GC is expected to deal 3.3+2.6 vs a 1 agility ship. The 6 dice Cruise Missile from N'Dru with TL+F+GC is 5.6 expected damage. If we change the defender to a 2 dice ship with no tokens we get 5.2 expected from the 6 dice Cruise and 2.25+2.9 from the Clusters. A 3 dice defender with no tokens is expected to take 1.9+2.6 from 8 Clusters and 4.8 from 6 Cruise. So it looks to me like Cruise Missiles are close enough in expected damage against low agility ships, and better against high agility and/or defenders with tokens that, considering the other benefits inherent in Cruise Missiles (being able to fire from range 3, then close to range 1 for N'Dru's normal 4 dice primary vs firing from range 1 or 2 and being unable to shoot the following round, being a point cheaper, being easier to trigger N'Dru's extra dice and focus fire with another ship) I think I like sticking with the Cruise Missile.