Sign in to follow this  
TheWiseGuy

Tournament Gameplay

1 hour ago, Muz333 said:

I for one can't wait until we start seeing big FFG tournaments recorded. Plus it'll be far more interesting to watch than X-Wing as with four factions we'll see a lot more varied matchups.

This is kind of the reason I haven't found any desire to post anything new... there isn't good variety right now so I don't really feel any urge to make a new video... busy trying to build local scene...

11 minutes ago, jek said:

This is kind of the reason I haven't found any desire to post anything new... there isn't good variety right now so I don't really feel any urge to make a new video... busy trying to build local scene...

Crazy talk! There's not nearly enough batreps right now. Also elves just came out and I'm dying to see them played. Best of luck with your local scene too.

15 hours ago, jek said:

@jek Any advice for the cheapest, simplest way to record a game and edit it to not be boring (i.e. edit out the dial selection)

13 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

@jek Any advice for the cheapest, simplest way to record a game and edit it to not be boring (i.e. edit out the dial selection)

HDcam on a tripod...and some free editing software...record each round separately to limit cutting, don't record the command phase...

2 hours ago, jek said:

HDcam on a tripod...and some free editing software...record each round separately to limit cutting, don't record the command phase...

would a gopro work?  and what video editing software?  I have always been curious

Given how visual this game is on damage -- I wonder if just a slide show of time lapse photos from overhead would be pretty useful.  Take a picture per activation / attack / resolution.  You could review the game pretty fast that way.  You'd probably want to take a picture of the range ruler out when doing a ranged attack to signify who was being hit.

The most interesting parts of these games are going to be initial setup / terrain and then the approaches.  Watching dice roll back and forth is somewhat less interesting.  Having a collection of like 2 minute videos would be great.  ****, could even be a GIF (though you'd want to pause it)

There are a few guys in The Twin Cities X-Wing community that record and upload games to YouTube.  One of the first guys to do so pit up a good hardware guide you might find useful.  It's not an absolute list, but it seems a good place to start.

Edited by Govrek
corrected typos. stupid mobile keyboard...

11 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

Given how visual this game is on damage -- I wonder if just a slide show of time lapse photos from overhead would be pretty useful.  Take a picture per activation / attack / resolution.  You could review the game pretty fast that way.  You'd probably want to take a picture of the range ruler out when doing a ranged attack to signify who was being hit.

The most interesting parts of these games are going to be initial setup / terrain and then the approaches.  Watching dice roll back and forth is somewhat less interesting.  Having a collection of like 2 minute videos would be great.  ****, could even be a GIF (though you'd want to pause it)

Yeah videos are cool but they can drag on a bit. Battle reports with photos each round would work almost as well.

1 hour ago, Contrapulator said:

Yeah videos are cool but they can drag on a bit. Battle reports with photos each round would work almost as well.

I would be happy to start doing that type of battle report if you guys want its easier on me since I can just take photos with my phone or camera

10 minutes ago, jek said:

I would be happy to start doing that type of battle report if you guys want its easier on me since I can just take photos with my phone or camera

I'd love to see a stop-action recording of a match to see if it has any value?  I *seems* like it'd be great for discussion.  Especially if you GIF'd them up and dropped them directly into the forum post :)

Just now, Contrapulator said:

I'd rather just have the album of pictures to look through at my own pace.

I will start taking pictures of my games and being really annoying to my opponent from now on...lol as if I wasn't already annoying, have you read the comments on my videos? I'm the most annoying human being ever lol...Army lists and turn by turn synopsis and pictures! I'll get on this when!

15 minutes ago, jek said:

I will start taking pictures of my games and being really annoying to my opponent from now on...lol as if I wasn't already annoying, have you read the comments on my videos? I'm the most annoying human being ever lol...Army lists and turn by turn synopsis and pictures! I'll get on this when!

Where can I find your videos?