Sign in to follow this  
NeonKnight

So Vader Boarding Now! Glee

When reveal a Command Dial you may discard a [SQUADRON] dial or token and this card to choose 1 enemy ship at close range. Choose and Discard 1 non-commander upgrade card assigned to that ship.

Big question, as I cannot see. Is the [?] icon a Commander Upgrade (i.e. the Admiral) or an Officer Upgrade?

If the Admiral...that is a powerful 3 point card.

Edited by NeonKnight
Updated to reflect text.

Just now, NeonKnight said:

When reveal a Command Dial you may discard a [SQUADRON] dial or token and this card to choose 1 enemy ship at close range. Choose and Discard 1 [?] upgrade card assigned to that ship.

Big question, as I cannot see. Is the [?] icon a Commander Upgrade (i.e. the Admiral) or an Officer Upgrade?

If the Admiral...that is a powerful 3 point card.

Its actually Non-Admiral.

Vader's ability is actually how I originally imagined boarding parties would work if/when introduced into Armada (before Boarding Troopers and Engineers were revealed). One-time use, gets rid of an upgrade card. I'm glad to see this incarnation coming to Armada. And it's Imperial exclusive to boot!

So I pulled up the photo and shouted "ENHANCE" at my screen until I was seeing a blurry pic of Vader's card.

While I'm loathe to directly contradict @Drasnighta, the character is not oriented correctly for a regular officer.  Officer symbols in the upgrade tray are oriented facing to the right side of the card, and slightly tilted to the right.  Commanders are oriented facing to the left, and standing straight up.  The figure in the image is definitely not tilted to the right, and the facial features appear to be on the left.

Now, this could just be the result of a tiny pic being blown up to the point where the graphics almost look like an 8 bit video game, but if that's true then Vader is a Commander Assassin.  Given that all the boarding parties so far are super powerful in exchange for taking up two very useful slots I can totally believe that a unique character who is a popular squadron chocie and a commander would have a single use card capable of knocking a commander out of the fight.

Also, Rieekan is now toast in the meta.  Gotta love it.

1 minute ago, thecactusman17 said:

So I pulled up the photo and shouted "ENHANCE" at my screen until I was seeing a blurry pic of Vader's card.

While I'm loathe to directly contradict @Drasnighta, the character is not oriented correctly for a regular officer.  Officer symbols in the upgrade tray are oriented facing to the right side of the card, and slightly tilted to the right.  Commanders are oriented facing to the left, and standing straight up.  The figure in the image is definitely not tilted to the right, and the facial features appear to be on the left.

Now, this could just be the result of a tiny pic being blown up to the point where the graphics almost look like an 8 bit video game, but if that's true then Vader is a Commander Assassin.  Given that all the boarding parties so far are super powerful in exchange for taking up two very useful slots I can totally believe that a unique character who is a popular squadron chocie and a commander would have a single use card capable of knocking a commander out of the fight.

Also, Rieekan is now toast in the meta.  Gotta love it.

You;re not directly contradicting me.

I believe the image there is of the Admiral symbol, as you do.... :)

I just also believe that there is a " non- " before it.

Edited by Drasnighta

2 minutes ago, thecactusman17 said:

As in "now that Vader is here, you are the non-Admiral"?

No, as in, "Raddus gives him the two-fingered Salute as Vader instead pulls a Kylo-Ren on all of his Defensive Retrofits, because he can't touch the Fishman.  Who then gets into a CR90A and Flies away, making Vader wish he trashed the Title instead."

Edited by Drasnighta

Just now, Drasnighta said:

No, as in, "Raddus gives him the two-fingered Salute as Vader instead pulls a Kylo-Ren on all of his Defensive Retrofits."

Ha!  True, Raddus definitely wins that race.  Yanking Rieekan out of the command chair and sending him back to Hoth just before removing a ship or squadron is very appealing though.

All in all, big effects are good and all...  But an immedaite ~30 off points trade just isn't on.

I mea, even Chamming a big ship, you can prepare or do something about that, if you're the recipient...  Losing your Admiral?  Nope.

100%, its non-Commander upgrades...  Crew, Retrofits, Titles, they're all 100% allowed to be airlock'd... But not the Dude hoggin' the Throne.

3 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

With first player, you can now remove Demo, Yavaris, Avenger, or Admo. In some cases that can neuter your opponents fleet. Pretty good on a Raider.

It's especially nice against Rieekan fleets because you can neuter the zombie ship, even if you can't remove it entirely.

17 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

All in all, big effects are good and all...  But an immedaite ~30 off points trade just isn't on.

I mea, even Chamming a big ship, you can prepare or do something about that, if you're the recipient...  Losing your Admiral?  Nope.

100%, its non-Commander upgrades...  Crew, Retrofits, Titles, they're all 100% allowed to be airlock'd... But not the Dude hoggin' the Throne.

Ah, I see what you mean.  Yeah, definitely will make certain ships cry for sure. 

Maybe it's just me, but I... really don't like this upgrade. Not because I think it'll be super duper good or something, it just kind of feels like a ****-you upgrade. You can really ruin somebody's day with basically zero recourse with this. Like, what counterplay is there to that?

"Lol look at that sweet build you've got there that all works together like clockwork. Would be a shame if I took out the middle cog there giving you no opportunity to defend it."

I mean, you can counterplay it, kind of, but it's gong to require investment of very significant tactical capital to do, for a plug-and-play 3-point upgrade... Meh.

4 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

Maybe it's just me, but I... really don't like this upgrade. Not because I think it'll be super duper good or something, it just kind of feels like a ****-you upgrade. You can really ruin somebody's day with basically zero recourse with this. Like, what counterplay is there to that?

"Lol look at that sweet build you've got there that all works together like clockwork. Would be a shame if I took out the middle cog there giving you no opportunity to defend it."

I mean, you can counterplay it, kind of, but it's gong to require investment of very significant tactical capital to do, for a plug-and-play 3-point upgrade... Meh.

The counter play is to literally try to prevent the Vader from getting close range/blowing him up to space dust

Just now, Visovics said:

The counter play is to literally try to prevent the Vader from getting close range/blowing him up to space dust

Yeah, I get that. But again, like I said, that's a significant impact to my tactical plans, to counter a three point, completely turnkey, upgrade.

I'm not salty about it or anything, and I get the opportunity cost and what have you. It just feels heavy-handed and unsophisticated to me.

These concerns may also be addressed by some other heretofore undisclosed upgrade. So, we'll see.

5 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

Yeah, I get that. But again, like I said, that's a significant impact to my tactical plans, to counter a three point, completely turnkey, upgrade.

I'm not salty about it or anything, and I get the opportunity cost and what have you. It just feels heavy-handed and unsophisticated to me.

These concerns may also be addressed by some other heretofore undisclosed upgrade. So, we'll see.

It means your Admo is no longer safe in the front of an ISD.

Or you put him on a Raider and turn it into a living rocket. Speed 4 all the way to its death.

1 minute ago, Undeadguy said:

It means your Admo is no longer safe in the front of an ISD.

Or you put him on a Raider and turn it into a living rocket. Speed 4 all the way to its death.

Admo alone was never safe in close range of the front arc of anything other than a barebones ISD anyway.

Edited by Ardaedhel

Just now, Ardaedhel said:

Admo alone was never safe in close range of the front arc of anything other than a barebones ISD anyway.

Heh better tell @Caldias that. I've seen Admo face down Ackbar80s and ISDs and pulling Projector Misaligned. Then Admo giggles and flies away. I'm not saying it's without risk, but I've seen it happen a lot.