Jump to content
PartyPotato

Thrawns Ability...

Recommended Posts

Thrawn's ability is no doubt powerful but I think the price point is fair. He might be undercosted but not overly, but we also have to take into consideration that Imperials ship are generally more expensive than their Rebel counterparts so I think it balances out there. Still only table time will tell us if his effect matches his pt cost.

In comparison I always felt both Leia and Tarkin are way overcosted for what they do, so I definitely acknowledge that there's a disparity between those 2 and Thrawn.

Edited by Wraithdt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ImpStarDeuces said:

Just to be clear, you want to activate 8+ squadrons at once?

I want to activate 9 tie intercepter and howlrunner, while running flight controllers for a massive alpha strike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PartyPotato said:

Does this mean you can spend two of the the same dial?  Or just an additional dial of a different type?

I was just thinking of the absolute shenigans you could pull off cashing in 2 engineering dials and a token on an interdictor.

Folks really should start sending emails to FFG rules section asking this. But figure we find out more when they publish the in depth looka each ships

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mobow213 said:

Folks really should start sending emails to FFG rules section asking this. But figure we find out more when they publish the in depth looka each ships

This has already been answered in the rules forum by the card designer himself.

NO, YOU DONT GET TO SPEND TWO OF THE SAME DIAL.

You get two dials, yes, and can spend both...but not of the same command. Only one command of the same type can be spent per ship. If you have a ship squadron dial, and Thrawn assigns a squadron dial, you can turn the ship dial to a token, and then spend the dial and token togheter...but not both dials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think turns 3 and 4 Thrawn can just dole out navigates, while all combat ships spam CF and carriers spam squadron commands. Then round five give everyone some engineering. Seems pretty crazy strong. 

Every ship gets two full commands for half (and your choice of which half) of the game. That's doesn't seem super crazy to everyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tiberius the Killer said:

I think turns 3 and 4 Thrawn can just dole out navigates, while all combat ships spam CF and carriers spam squadron commands. Then round five give everyone some engineering. Seems pretty crazy strong. 

Every ship gets two full commands for half (and your choice of which half) of the game. That's doesn't seem super crazy to everyone?

Nope! Sounds awesome to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wraithdt said:

Thrawn's ability is no doubt powerful but I think the price point is fair. He might be undercosted but not overly, but we also have to take into consideration that Imperials ship are generally more expensive than their Rebel counterparts so I think it balances out there. Still only table time will tell us if his effect matches his pt cost.

In comparison I always felt both Leia and Tarkin are way overcosted for what they do, so I definitely acknowledge that there's a disparity between those 2 and Thrawn.

 

Tarkin being overcosted is kind of forgivable since he's was literally the first imperial Admiral in the game and FFG still hadn't gotten a consistant idea of pricing down yet. The same thing happened with X-Wing. Consider things like the X-Wing's cost, or the EPT Marksmanship, or TIE Advanceds.  Or any of the 4 cost EPT's that aren't Expertise.

Leia is more egregious because she came 6 waves in when Tarkin being underused due to him being overcosted was well known. FFG should have put her in at around 10 points cheaper. No less really though? I mean at a basic level Leia effectively gives every ship in your fleet Expanded Hangar Bays, so 28pts feels closer to what she should be at really.

Ultimately though, I feel the best use of Leia is still as an Officer on a Transport Flottilla with Comms Relay acting as the command tower for your AFmk2, MC80, Liberty etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Leia is unfortunately over costed. The only practical fleet I designed around her (and haven't tested yet) was a tanky Liberty with an Engineering Team escorted by Redemption and a Shields to Maximum Pelta, both with Projection Experts. You ram the Liberty down your opponent's throat, and just keep healing every round.

 

I think Thrawn on his own is not imbalanced. But in the hands of a good player he will be very powerful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sharego said:

Thrawn and persecutor you can use 3 dials in on 1 turn omg

Wait a second, how are you getting 3 dials? 

Have I been reading Pursuant wrong all this time? Crap! 

So let me get this lined up.

Thrawn reveals an engineering command, Pursuant reveals a navigate, then discards the Pursuant card and activates a full dial Squadron command, a full dial engineering command and a full dial maneuver command. And I can throw a token on those as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cynanbloodbane said:

Wait a second, how are you getting 3 dials? 

Have I been reading Pursuant wrong all this time? Crap! 

So let me get this lined up.

Thrawn reveals an engineering command, Pursuant reveals a navigate, then discards the Pursuant card and activates a full dial Squadron command, a full dial engineering command and a full dial maneuver command. And I can throw a token on those as well?

exactly!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2017 at 1:50 PM, JJs Juggernaut said:

Well let's also remember Leia and tarkin work for 6 rounds. Thrawn is only 3. That said, I think both the aforementioned admirals are overcosted...devs make mistakes too...

Related, unrelated question...was Thrawn "the something big" that FFG referred to at Gencon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

I love Thrawns ability. Its thematic. Its strong and most of all, its easy to errata in the word "different" to his wording. 

Lol

Yeah...he is surely one of the strongest Admirals off the bat. Remains to be seen just how good this is. It does so much for so many different fleet types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick point regarding Sato, because I see some folks referencing his cost vs Thrawns;

Thrawn is definetely a stronger admiral than sato, do not for a second think that what I am about to write means I think any different,

But

Thrawns ability is strong for what it does, but wll always be this. Those commands will never change, and how ships handle those commands are pretty much established. Thrawn works with pretty much everything, but there isn't really anything that uses his ability better (save maybe squadron fleets) than any other. Plus I think he pushes towards larger, higher command value ships which lead to lower activation counts, which is good I tbink.

Sato on the other hand is very platform dependent. He's the kind of admiral where the right ships/upgrades being released could make him considerably stronger. Right now its hard to make a list that allows him to work, but that may not always be true. Shoot, imagine if the rebels had access to a kuat refit? That ship could make real use of sato. Costs need to have a bit of future proofing in them.

 

 

Edited by Madaghmire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Madaghmire said:

Just a quick point regarding Sato, because I see some folks referencing his cost vs Thrawns;

Thrawn is definetely a stronger admiral than sato, do not for a second think that what I am about to write means I think any different,

But

Thrawns ability is strong for what it does, but wll always be this. Those commands will never change, and how ships handle those commands are pretty much established. Thrawn works with pretty much everything, but there isn't really anything that uses his ability better (save maybe squadron fleets) than any other. Plus I think he pushes towards larger, higher command value ships which lead to lower activation counts, which is good I tbink.

Sato on the other hand is very platform dependent. He's the kind of admiral where the right ships/upgrades being released could make him considerably stronger. Right now its hard to make a list that allows him to work, but that may not always be true. Shoot, imagine if the rebels had access to a kuat refit? That ship could make real use of sato. Costs need to have a bit of future proofing in them.

 

 

Tarkin was future proofed HARD :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/8/2017 at 1:39 AM, Tiberius the Killer said:

I think turns 3 and 4 Thrawn can just dole out navigates, while all combat ships spam CF and carriers spam squadron commands. Then round five give everyone some engineering. Seems pretty crazy strong. 

Every ship gets two full commands for half (and your choice of which half) of the game. That's doesn't seem super crazy to everyone?

You are asking this in the wrong thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that JJ made the point, that a gained dial cannot be spent to get a token. But when you read the entry in RRG the same thing applies to spending a dial to get the command effect.

"When a ship is activated, its owner reveals that ship’s top command dial and places it next to the ship in the play area. It can be spent immediately to assign the corresponding command token to that ship, or it can be spent at the appropriate time to resolve that command."

So when the "Thrawn"-card says you gain a dial and not a command, (as in the "Pursuant"-card) I would think, you can spend your dial for both benefits.

 

I don't have more data, than anyone else here, so I don't know if any card is overpriced or underwhelmed. I just made the experience, that Commander Leia doesn't work with big ships. I made her commander for 4 CR90s (with ET) and 1 HH. I could use her ability from round 1-6 on all ships nearly every time. I suppose, that the Grand Admiral will work better with high-command ships and your problem will be, that you must give all your ships the same additional dial. I can easily remember lots of cases when I needed a repair-command with ship A and a squadron-command with ship B. Leia and CR90s are foolproof. But yes, a little bit cheaper Princess had done fine for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Triangular said:

I know that JJ made the point, that a gained dial cannot be spent to get a token. But when you read the entry in RRG the same thing applies to spending a dial to get the command effect.

"When a ship is activated, its owner reveals that ship’s top command dial and places it next to the ship in the play area. It can be spent immediately to assign the corresponding command token to that ship, or it can be spent at the appropriate time to resolve that command."

So when the "Thrawn"-card says you gain a dial and not a command, (as in the "Pursuant"-card) I would think, you can spend your dial for both benefits.

 

I don't have more data, than anyone else here, so I don't know if any card is overpriced or underwhelmed. I just made the experience, that Commander Leia doesn't work with big ships. I made her commander for 4 CR90s (with ET) and 1 HH. I could use her ability from round 1-6 on all ships nearly every time. I suppose, that the Grand Admiral will work better with high-command ships and your problem will be, that you must give all your ships the same additional dial. I can easily remember lots of cases when I needed a repair-command with ship A and a squadron-command with ship B. Leia and CR90s are foolproof. But yes, a little bit cheaper Princess had done fine for me.

Developer is literally like "you can't do this" and someone is still like "but right here is says.... so maybe you can?". Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to make people laugh. And I'm okay not to produce tokens with gained tokens. It's only that I don't understand the way it has been reasoned. JJ says you can't produce a token with Thrawn-dials, because it's gained. A token must be revealed.

 

On 25.8.2017 at 6:39 PM, JJs Juggernaut said:

I will also just point out that the inverse is not true. Thrawn's dial isn't "revealed" (it is "gained") so you don't have the opportunity to tokenize it. This is functionally the same though, since as you pointed out, just tokenize your actual command, and use the Thrawn dial.

But the same reason would apply to command effects, when you read the according paragraph in RRG. You may laugh, because you understand the difference I cannot catch. May I ask, when you finished laughing, would you explain it to me?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...