Sign in to follow this  
Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Still no Thrawn for X-Wing?

I'm sure that this has been discussed ad nauseum in other posts already, but with today's announcement about Thrawn being added to Armada, I can't help but wonder when we'll see Thrawn added to X-Wing, too, since he's now in almost every other Star Wars game by FFG.

I am assuming that for X-Wing he would be an Imperial Crew upgrade. And I'm assuming that we'll get him eventually. So, how long do you think it will be, and what do you think his upgrade card in X-Wing will do?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/25/the-grand-admiral-arrives/

24 minutes ago, DerRitter said:

Well Thrawn fit right into Armada's theme, not that much on X-Wing, the same as Ackbar. In X-wing he ought to be Huge Ship only.

Granted, his strategic mind lends himself well to Armada. But we do already have Tarkin, Hux, Palpatine, Jerjerrod, Vader, Mara, Kallus, Kylo, Ozzel, Needa, Chiraneau, and Isard crew upgrades.

And now we have Thrawn in Destiny, LCG, Armada, and Age of Rebellion, perhaps more that I am not aware of. I'm sure X-Wing is just a matter of time.

Edited by Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

His ability in Armada seems pretty darn good and thematic. Command dials in Armada are what actions are to X-Wing. To make an X-Wing equivalent effect it would go something like this:

"during setup place 3 focus tokens on this card. Once per round, at the beginning of the combat phase, you may assign one of these focus tokens to a friendly ship. Then, each other friendly ship may be assigned a focus token."

A bit too close to Mindlink for me but that's pretty close to how it is working in Armada. I like the idea of him giving you limited resources but your choice as to when to spend them. Thrawn should be there to affect the most critical turns of the game and do it in a big way. However, it's up to you to decide which turns are the critical ones to spend your precious resources on.

3 minutes ago, spartan1128 said:

His ability in Armada seems pretty darn good and thematic. Command dials in Armada are what actions are to X-Wing. To make an X-Wing equivalent effect it would go something like this:

"during setup place 3 focus tokens on this card. Once per round, at the beginning of the combat phase, you may assign one of these focus tokens to a friendly ship. Then, each other friendly ship may be assigned a focus token."

A bit too close to Mindlink for me but that's pretty close to how it is working in Armada. I like the idea of him giving you limited resources but your choice as to when to spend them. Thrawn should be there to affect the most critical turns of the game and do it in a big way. However, it's up to you to decide which turns are the critical ones to spend your precious resources on.

Thank you for that - sounds good. And very reactive (but for fluff, it's "premeditated")
I think the equivalent in X-Wing would more akin to, "During setup assign up to three friendly ships one Thrawn's Orders token. At the start of the combat phase, a ship may discard a Thrawn's Orders token to immediately perform a free action, even if that ship is stressed" 

I think maybe thrawn would have 3 moves assigned to him, a 2 straight, and each 2 bank. Once per game he could assign a move to a ship (regardless of what the dial said) and then discard that token. So if you did a k turn and realized you would bump, thrawn could assign you a 2 straight instead. 

I would think that Thrawn would let you change your dials after the fact.

At the beginning of the game, place 3 order tokens on this card. Whenever a friendly ship reveals a maneuver, you may spend an Order token. If you do, you may change the revealed maneuver to another maneuver.

I still think he should be like Kallus except he assigns a Condition card that as long as Thrawn is in play that ship has to place his dial face up before any other dial gets set.

If we were to go with this theme of him having tokens that can be used at key moments how about this,

During the place forces step place 3 tokens on this card, at the start of the planning phase you may spend one token to force your opponent to place all dials face up. 

Edit: this allows for Thrawn's seeming ability to know what you will do before you do it.

Edited by smccaughan
forgot reasoning

3 hours ago, DerRitter said:

Well Thrawn fit right into Armada's theme, not that much on X-Wing, the same as Ackbar. In X-wing he ought to be Huge Ship only.

And yet we have the Emperor, lol.

Plausibility at the scale of X-Wing hasn't been much of an issue thus far. 

1 hour ago, smccaughan said:

I still think he should be like Kallus except he assigns a Condition card that as long as Thrawn is in play that ship has to place his dial face up before any other dial gets set.

If we were to go with this theme of him having tokens that can be used at key moments how about this,

During the place forces step place 3 tokens on this card, at the start of the planning phase you may spend one token to force your opponent to place all dials face up. 

Edit: this allows for Thrawn's seeming ability to know what you will do before you do it.

This is bonkers. It'll lead to paralysis when you have competing Thrawns against each other. Even in the normal game, having near-perfect knowledge when planning moves is super strong, and you'd let players do it three times?

7 hours ago, DerRitter said:

4 hours ago, fok12 said:

Well, I was gonna say he is the grand admiral of the fleet, so he has no business being in small dogfights but then I remembered that Palpatine and Jabba exist, so it could be possible...

In Rebels he was chasing down the crew of the Ghost, so small-scale is not out of the question.

My preferred mechanic for a Thrawn crew would be some form of mind-game. Guess what the other guy is going to do, if you're right bonus. Make it low cost to activate, so your opponent has to play around it.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

In Rebels he was chasing down the crew of the Ghost, so small-scale is not out of the question.

Well, he wasn't really chasing down the crew of the Ghost.  The Crew of the Ghost was the means to the end of the larger Rebellion Picture...  he didn't really care about getting rid of the the Rebel base on Atollyon immediately.  It wasn't until he heard that Dodonna was also going to be there.  THAT was worth striking.

Edited by Drasnighta

6 hours ago, fok12 said:

Well, I was gonna say he is the grand admiral of the fleet, so he has no business being in small dogfights but then I remembered that Palpatine and Jabba exist, so it could be possible...

Do you mean to tell me you don't remember that time Jan Dodonna and Carlist Rieekan were in that awesome dogfight against Grand Moff Tarkin, Moff Jerjerrod, Admiral Ozzel and Rear Admiral Chiraneau?

Edited by weisguy119

2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Well, he wasn't really chasing down the crew of the Ghost.  The Crew of the Ghost was the means to the end of the larger Rebellion Picture...  he didn't really care about getting rid of the the Rebel base on Atollyon immediately.  It wasn't until he heard that Dodonna was also going to be there.  THAT was worth striking.

Who is already in XWM, I might point out. . .

On 8/25/2017 at 7:05 PM, DailyRich said:

How are we so sure we're getting a second Imperial Epic ship?  They've yet to update or FAQ the Epic rules.  I feel like we'll get the Scum Epic to balance out all the sides and then that will be that.

I think you meant "third Imperial epic ship." We already have the Raider-class corvette (now officially canon, with the new BFII video game and novel) and the Gozanti-class cruiser.