Hockeyzombie

Thrawn confirmed

10 minutes ago, Rocmistro said:

This goes without saying and is always true.

You'd really have to have messed something up to not be able to deploy your ship.  Like...you'd have to have agreed to a game where your opponent got 12,000 fleet points to your 400.  It also bears mention that if you REALLY think there's no POSSIBLE way to avoid your opponent's snare...you just don't put a ship in hyperspace.  I literally cannot imgaine a game where that would happen.

Again...if that's your ONLY option, you JUST DON'T DEPLOY THERE.  I'm just saying i  can't imagine a game where I couldn't get a CR90b sneaking around someone's flank to deploy my Raddus ship in a position where, even if it must be deployed at speed 0, it's still not going to take VOLUMES of enemy fire. 

It's most certainly not insurmountable, but I'm saying there are difficulties. If you deploy your ship out of effective range, you'd be better off deploying it normally. If you do so, you've bypassed the whole point of Raddus and Profundity, and wasted the points spent on them. It's not a matter of not being able to deploy your ships, but of being able to do so effectively. You want to place it somewhere it won't be instantly killed, and where it can fire on something when it activates. As that means you want to place it in at least red range of an enemy ship, outside of distance 3 of the Grav Token, out of the main arcs of the enemy ships, and in such a way that it has a clear path in which to move, after which it should also be safe, there are a lot of things to consider, and it may actually be harder to balance all of them than you might suppose (or at least, I think it is).

4 hours ago, Eggzavier said:

It says you get three of each ship card - so with one pack you can three of them if you wanted.

Unless you specifically want two of that paint job ;)

But also only two Gauntlet fighters... not to mention the upgrade cards packed within.

2 hours ago, Norsehound said:

But also only two Gauntlet fighters... not to mention the upgrade cards packed within.

I only see one new card that isn't unique. Early Warning something or other, Defensive Retrofit. I'm suspecting the Gauntlets might be a pair of unique squadrons but it's more likely that they aren't. 

Just now, Hockeyzombie said:

I only see one new card that isn't unique. Early Warning something or other, Defensive Retrofit. I'm suspecting the Gauntlets might be a pair of unique squadrons but it's more likely that they aren't. 

I'm reasonably confident it'll be Fenn Rau, from Rebels, plus a non-unique Gauntlet fighter. A really cool addition, always fun to get new squads!

1 minute ago, ceejlekabeejle said:

I'm reasonably confident it'll be Fenn Rau, from Rebels, plus a non-unique Gauntlet fighter. A really cool addition, always fun to get new squads!

Well, its not Fenn Rau, its Gar Saxon.  HIs portrait is unmistakeable

In the Two-faction state we have, Fenn Rau will be considered more a Rebel than an Imperial.

An unexpected announcement especially after a no-show at Gen Con just last week, but I'm glad the cat is finally out of the bag.

Really excited about this wave.....

...but also pretty disappointed that they just did a repaint of the current ISD model for the Chimaera exp set. WHY!? I explicitly made my case to FFG that we need a new ISD-1 mold for this. There's enough new detail on the ISD-1 that is distinct from the ISD-II to justify a new mold. If they could do it for TFA Falcon(X-Wing), why not this? What a huge missed opportunity, and to think I put the effort to portray the Chimaera in the ISD-I class, as it appears in Rebels, on the cover. Sigh....

My only hope at this point is that the actual physical model is of an ISD-I and the one in the preview article is just a graphical error, but that seems unlikely:(

Sorry for the rant.

I'm not gonna leave this on a sour note so I will say that aside from my disappointment with the repainted ISD, the rest of this wave looks friggin sweet! Thrawn ability is different from what I imagined but still awesome; 2 dials 3 times per game for every ship sounds powerful. Time will tell if his cost is justified but at the moment it seems fair.

The 2 new ISD variants are great! Kuat refit is a fiercer close range brawler that can carry ordnance(APT or ER) and has a defensive slot. Cymoon is pretty much what I expected, an ISD with a fleet command slot. Its also a long range beast which is amazing. Lack of defensive slot is not an issue with Tua around. Oh and is that an extra mystery Commander? Oh my.....

Mandalorian sqds is just icing on the cake. Looking forward to see what they do.

The Profundity model looks amazing and Raddus' ability sounds pretty sweet. Would be really interesting to see a Surprise! Raddus/Profundity fleet at work with Hypersapce Assault; set 3 ships aside to come in later. Shame that we didn't get to see the MC75 variants.

Edited by Wraithdt

1 hour ago, Wraithdt said:

An unexpected announcement especially after a no-show at Gen Con just last week, but I'm glad the cat is finally out of the bag.

Really excited about this wave.....

Look at this guy. Could have said "a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one." Bet he doesn't know the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise either. 

34 minutes ago, Hockeyzombie said:

Look at this guy. Could have said "a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one." Bet he doesn't know the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise either. 

Personal preferences aside I'm still excited for the Chimaera. I'm just bummed out I won't be getting an ISD-I miniature to go along with my ISD-II.

1 hour ago, Wraithdt said:

Personal preferences aside I'm still excited for the Chimaera. I'm just bummed out I won't be getting an ISD-I miniature to go along with my ISD-II.

I was really just after you for not using the meme in your first sentence. I don't really have an opinion on whether or not the Chimaera should have a different model than the ISD, it make no difference to me either way. 

On 8/25/2017 at 7:29 PM, cynanbloodbane said:

Two of each for me! I want 2 MC75, and while one of the Chimeras will be the first ISD I don't repaint, I need all the ISDs I can get. Besides, I already have 5, so two sets of cards are required. ;)

And a side of Mandolorian gravy please!

I'll still put a rebel symbol on my Chimera, so as to match all my other "Imperial" ships!:D

1 minute ago, Admiral Theia said:

I'll still put a rebel symbol on my Chimera, so as to match all my other "Imperial" ships!:D

Heresy!!! The emperor will be informed of such disrespectful acts against the Empire and it's Navy!

On 8/25/2017 at 5:41 PM, Wraithdt said:

I remember you suggesting a few weeks (maybe months at this point) that some new art had been commissioned from you?

Are we blessed with any of it in this expansion? (Other than the adapted Thrawn?)

42 minutes ago, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

I love it, except for the fact that it's not a Chimera. . . looks more like a Hydra to me.

Well, the Star Wars galaxy isnt our Galaxy, why would we assume the mythology is the same?

Even then, a Chimera is simply a beast with a multiple of different animal components...  And it legally fits that definition.  its just not the "Goat, Lion, Dragon" of classic fantasy...  Instead, its probably at least 3 Star Wars beasts...  Zillo, Sarlaac and Dianoga, maybe...

Edited by Drasnighta

On 28/08/2017 at 10:44 PM, Eggzavier said:

I remember you suggesting a few weeks (maybe months at this point) that some new art had been commissioned from you?

Are we blessed with any of it in this expansion? (Other than the adapted Thrawn?)

I did the box art for both Chimaera and Profundity sets, plus they reused my art for Thrawn, Intensify Forward Firepower and the Profundity title. There might be more with those unrevealed cards but I won't know until we get our next preview.

Great point Dras - a similar thought (that it didn't look much like a Chimera to me) had been floating around in the back of my mind for a while I think, but after seeing your post I went to look at the paint scheme and darned if that doesn't look like a cross between three Star Wars monsters! Indeed, since goats, lions, and dragons don't exist in Star Wars (as such) - it probably would've been stranger the other way!

13 minutes ago, Kadorak said:

Great point Dras - a similar thought (that it didn't look much like a Chimera to me) had been floating around in the back of my mind for a while I think, but after seeing your post I went to look at the paint scheme and darned if that doesn't look like a cross between three Star Wars monsters! Indeed, since goats, lions, and dragons don't exist in Star Wars (as such) - it probably would've been stranger the other way!

Heck, I was wondering what the heck a Centicore would be when they released that one, anyway.

28 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Heck, I was wondering what the heck a Centicore would be when they released that one, anyway.

You see when a giant centipede and a manticore love each other very much, they do some special hugging and several months later a baby centicore is born!

Just now, Snipafist said:

You see when a giant centipede and a manticore love each other very much, they do some special hugging and several months later a baby centicore is born!

You know, it  was in another thread where I was lamenting that crushing one dream at a time was completely ineffective, and I needed a more efficient dream crusher...

That Nightmare isn't going to be a serial offender for some...  Its going to be Massively Parallel, and I love it.

Thank you for it :D

2 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

You know, it  was in another thread where I was lamenting that crushing one dream at a time was completely ineffective, and I needed a more efficient dream crusher...

That Nightmare isn't going to be a serial offender for some...  Its going to be Massively Parallel, and I love it.

Thank you for it :D

Giant_Centipede.jpg

manticore_by_kikicianjur-d384nro.jpg

"It's date night, time to melt the eyeballs of anyone who catches us in flagrante delicto!"

200.gif

13 hours ago, Wraithdt said:

I did the box art for both Chimaera and Profundity sets, plus they reused my art for Thrawn, Intensify Forward Firepower and the Profundity title. There might be more with those unrevealed cards but I won't know until we get our next preview.

Fantastic work, as per usual.

14 hours ago, Wraithdt said:

... Can I bother you for a PM regarding your commission rate?