Nogan

How to fight Dengar??

Hello guys,

Ill like yo ask your ways and ideas to fight dengar back, im kinda new to the game and Dengar is pretty popular in my FLGS, and I have had some trouble fighting him, so please any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Block him. He wants you in arc, so he'll try for that white sloop. Get someone in place to prevent that, then hammer on him from outside of arc. Unless you are in a really good position or are in dire straits, don't shoot at him inside his arc. You can try to control his movement with Ion and Stress tricks as well, but both have their downsides. 

Need to avoid his arc. Blocking to deny actions/sloops, hugging asteroids so he cant turn as well, or offering him something he doesnt want to shoot at (rebel captive when hes running expertise for instance).

There is no surefire way to counter him, its mostly positional play which requires practice.

Focus fire on him early in the game, he must be the first enemy ship to go down. If you have lower PS ships than him, set up on your left side corner so that he has to choose to either get your Alpha attack or approach you doing right turns or banks.

Edited by tsondaboy

26 minutes ago, tsondaboy said:

Focus fire on him early in the game, he must be the first enemy ship to go down. If you have lower PS ships than him, set up on your left side corner so that he has to choose to either get your Alpha attack or approach you doing right turns or banks.

Best info yet on dealing with Dengar.

The nature of Dengar's ability means he wants to be shot at over many turns by a single weak attack.

To beat him you should do the opposite. Aim to kill him over 1 or 2 turns via overwhelming firepower to limit the number of times he gets to trigger his ability. I've found it best to do early, otherwise you risk not having enough ships and only slowly trickling damage through on him (exactly what he wants). Flanking one of your weaker ships also helps against Dengar by denying him an easy target to double-tap, or giving you a better board position. 

If you want to tech specifically against him, rebel captive turns off his expertise before he modifies, VI Wes Jansen with R3A2 strips TLs and also turns off expertise, and alpha strikes allow you to spike damage through and melt him quickly (although that can be counter-teched via countermeasures). Generally just kill him first, unless his support is incredibly weak and can be killed quickly whilst suffering little damage yourself (Nym can fit into this category, depending on his positioning and your squad build).

Edited by CRCL

13 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

.... What, charging him is a horrible idea. 

No one's saying you should charge him*, they're saying you should kill him first and kill him fast. How you go about achieving those objectives can vary, but they are the right objectives to have. His ability gets more powerful the longer the game goes, so you should be looking to take it out of play ASAP.

* Though occasionally it is actually the right move.

Edited by DR4CO

1 minute ago, DR4CO said:

No one's saying you should charge him, they're saying you should kill him first and kill him fast. How you go about achieving those objectives can vary, but they are the right objectives to have. His ability gets more powerful the longer the game goes, so you should be looking to take it out of play ASAP.

Yep, this is the key to understanding Dengar.

It's why Dengaroo was such a pain to fight. Unless you could catch Manaroo, it took several turns to grind down Dengar with his infinite focus + countermeasures. All the while Dengar was double tapping you with all the mods + Zuckuss stupidity.

22 minutes ago, DR4CO said:

No one's saying you should charge him*, they're saying you should kill him first and kill him fast. How you go about achieving those objectives can vary, but they are the right objectives to have. His ability gets more powerful the longer the game goes, so you should be looking to take it out of play ASAP.

* Though occasionally it is actually the right move.

13 minutes ago, CRCL said:

It's why Dengaroo was such a pain to fight. Unless you could catch Manaroo, it took several turns to grind down Dengar with his infinite focus + countermeasures. All the while Dengar was double tapping you with all the mods + Zuckuss stupidity.

Yeah... afaik going for the other stuff than Dengar is the correct move.  its also easier to get blocks and good attacks out of arc later in the game.  

Vs Dengaroo, you ALWAYS attacked Manaroo first.

20 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Yeah... afaik going for the other stuff than Dengar is the correct move.

I mean, you don't want to be giving the other stuff free shots while Dengar leads you on a merry chase, but if you have a realistic choice between the two, Dengar should die first. There is no list out there in which my preferred choice to fight against in the endgame would be the pseduo-4 action, double-tapping, 9 health, 2 agility, 3 attack, PS9 turret. I would much, much rather be dealing with Tel, or Fenn, or Nym, or Asajj, as they are all easily half the threat Dengar is and can realistically be beaten with a depleted squad.

Same applies for all Fat Turret + Wingman lists, really. If I can get given a say in the matter, I'm not saving the opponent's biggest and most dangerous ship for last.

20 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Vs Dengaroo, you ALWAYS attacked Manaroo first.

That was because the stupid Zuckuss and infinite focus abuse made taking on Dengar first all but impossible, as you would struggle to get damage through LW + infinite Focus and would get eaten alive by LW + infinite Focus + infinite Zuckuss. That's no longer the case (thank the Force). Nowadays Dengar can and should be annihilated at your earliest opportunity.

Edited by DR4CO

Do you have a Ghost?

Thane Kyrell (26)
Tactician (2)
M9-G8 (3)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

"Zeb" Orrelios (18)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Phantom (0)

"Chopper" (37)
Fire-Control System (2)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Hera Syndulla (1)
Ezra Bridger (3)
Ghost (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Set up to joust him with Chopper (most likely on the left side of the board) and move 4 forward. You'll be in Range 3 of him. You may get shot at once, but the Ghost can handle it. 

Then do a 5K to bump/stress him and yourself. This will trigger Ezra's ability. If you lined up properly, he can't white sloop behind the big base so he either has to fly straight over, or turn away.

Also have Zeb docked to the Ghost. The 3rd ship doesn't have to be Thane, just a suggestion.

Full disclosure, this list/setup I picked up from the Squad List forum a while back. It's pretty good against Jumps in general.

Don't forget to consider bombs either. But mostly, focus fire him from out of arc if possible. He's not invincible, just wily.

Edited by Force Majeure

Definitely force him to go right by setting up on your left. 

Try to mob him from multiple directions so that you can do the majority of your shooting outside your arc.

Seriously consider not taking a shot from inside his arc if you're going to come out of it worse (he has target lock and expertise and you've had to K-turn, for example)

Ultimately, he's not that tough. 9 hull behind 2 agility is good, but only a couple of hits more than a T-70 X-wing; concentrated fire is the order of the day.

Always consider who he'd like to fire his revenge shot at - and fire last with them if possible.

I've had my most successfull games against Dengar with Snap/Juke A-wings. One block and the others stay out of arc throwing a ton of attack dice at him. Just remember to rotate the Greens with "block", "snap" and "shoot" from turn to turn so Dengar only has suboptimal targets.

Also my stepson has had success with QD (Adaptability) + RAC (PtL, Kylo, Vader). Dengar is a violent pilot so you must out-violence him. In one game he killed Dengar during the first round of shooting and that was the game.

Edited by Arthur_McGuire

13 minutes ago, Arthur_McGuire said:

Also my stepson has had success with QD (Adaptability) + RAC (PtL, Kylo, Vader). Dengar is a violent pilot so you must out-violence him. In one game he killed Dengar during the first round of shooting and that was the game.

Yeah - I've seen a PS10 rebel ordnance squad do something similar. Airen Cracken Homing Missile, Horton Salm Plasma Torpedo, Wedge Antilles Proton Torpedo, and it was good night corellia. Plus, with PS10 opponents, Dengar often has trouble getting a target lock to 'arm' his torpedoes.

3 hours ago, CRCL said:

Remind me, is the " when you spend a focus token" the same as the "remove 1 of it's focus, evade, TL tokens" part of the new Jam tokens? Or is it different? Like, if you jam Dengar, does that break the Overclocked chain?

Just now, thespaceinvader said:

But Dengar Fenn Inaldra aside, most Dengars don't use OCR4 anyway...

Have they switched to Expertise? I feel like we should really revisit Flechette Cannons one of these days. Oh well, something for Wave 12 I guess.

Expertise/K4/Unhinged is the gold standard right now.  Actions are only needed for defence or if for some reason you had to do a white manoeuvre.

Flechette Cannons aren't a terrible idea, but getting them on him before he shoots, that's the trick.

I'm pretty sure the Gunboat will see a lot more Flechette Cannons in play, albeit probably no more than one per list.