Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
splad

How about compendiums for race, tech or ships!

15 posts in this topic

The FFG Star Wars sourcebooks seem to be a broadside of subjects but notably the resource material of tech and races. Which makes a search for such material arduous. With near a score of books it is high time for a collection book to make our lives easier to run games. WEG among their sourcebooks threw out a number of good ready resource books which always found their way onto the table, help us here please!

alien encounters.jpg

s-l225v.jpg

s-l225.jpg

s-l225n.jpg

Felswrath likes this

I've heard this is why WEG eventually went under, and WotC started to lose revenue.  Revenue from a compendium is hard to predict, and if you have two losers in a row the whole product line can be lost.

FFG's pattern of each book having a new species, gear, adversaries, ships, etc broadens the appeal and creates a more consistent revenue stream.  I'd rather help keep the game alive than make a fuss about looking things up.  I do think FFG could at least support an online index, but there are some sites that have taken on this chore.

Felswrath, JRRP and kaosoe like this

5 minutes ago, whafrog said:

I've heard this is why WEG eventually went under, and WotC started to lose revenue.  Revenue from a compendium is hard to predict, and if you have two losers in a row the whole product line can be lost.

FFG's pattern of each book having a new species, gear, adversaries, ships, etc broadens the appeal and creates a more consistent revenue stream.  I'd rather help keep the game alive than make a fuss about looking things up.  I do think FFG could at least support an online index, but there are some sites that have taken on this chore.

I don't subscribe to that point of view as the galaxy guides were well received and the fantastic gear guides were very popular. WEG went under for reasons unrelated to gaming funnily enough. It was to do with their parent company making bad investments.

Given that they're leveraging bigger sales of the adventures with the inclusion of rules, races, and gear, I wouldn't expect any compendiums.  If we do see them I bet it's a sign they've run their course with the genre and don't see other viable money makers, a last gasp if you will.

I've dispensed with the page flipping at the table and players can research stuff on their time, not at the table.  Solves that problem for me.  Also given everything is subject to my approval I'd rather have time to weigh items beforehand.  Point being, I don't need compendiums.

Nytwyng, Vorzakk, warchild1x and 1 other like this

Unless I'm mistaken, Galaxy Guide 4 and both of the Fantastic Technology books were 100% new material; not compilations of material printed in previous releases.  That's a very big difference.  

As others have stated; if we ever do see a compilation of previously-released crunch, it will most likely be the death knell of the line (just like the Career Compendium was for 2nd Edition WFRP and the Spell Compendiums were for 2nd Edition AD&D).

27 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

Given that they're leveraging bigger sales of the adventures with the inclusion of rules, races, and gear, I wouldn't expect any compendiums.  If we do see them I bet it's a sign they've run their course with the genre and don't see other viable money makers, a last gasp if you will.

I've dispensed with the page flipping at the table and players can research stuff on their time, not at the table.  Solves that problem for me.  Also given everything is subject to my approval I'd rather have time to weigh items beforehand.  Point being, I don't need compendiums.

Yep. I've mentioned it around here before, and I'll mention it again now. It's like Sammy Hagar's view on "greatest hits" collections. It says, "We have nothing new to offer, sonwe're making one last cash grab."

Daeglan and kaosoe like this

I would think it far more likely that they will slip a second edition at us through Genesys than they put out useful books.

Dammed if the do, dammed if they don't.*

See, the way they've done things is release a handful of player options at a time in each book. If they released a compilation now, two or three books later and you have the same problem of needing to thumb through multiple books, and people will complain with 'oh-em-gee, why didn't they just wait?'

Wait 'til "the end," and people complain with 'oh-em-gee, I already bought all of this stuff, why do I need to buy the compilation?'

A Big Book of Species/Ships/Guns only works if there is considerable amounts of new content, which I think they would rather just combine with other new material in smaller lumps.

*Yes, I am aware that it is spelled incorrectly.

It does make me wonder why more game companies dont kickstarter their books. I realize that FFG may have legal issues that keep them from doing it, but it seems to me that if they could do it, it would be a great way to tell the interest in a book before they sink the costs into production. Heck, they would get a good deal of the production costs up front.

4 hours ago, whafrog said:

WEG went under because of shoes. Really.

Rather than compendiums I'd prefer to have an index with references to which page and in what book the race/item/ship/specialization/adversary/etc can be found. Preferably in a spreadsheet for easy searching, sorting and filtering.

For WFRP 3ed someone (I cannot remember who) created an index of all the components, cards, etc and which expansion they  belonged to. That was a very useful spreadsheet to have.

1 hour ago, k7e9 said:

For WFRP 3ed someone (I cannot remember who) created an index of all the components, cards, etc and which expansion they  belonged to. That was a very useful spreadsheet to have.

FFG did.  Don't ask me where it is now but it used to be in products for free.

I would really like a compendium.  But if they don't want that, do the print on demand decks.  Those wouldn't be hard to do.  I know I saw a fan based one for vehicles.

Felswrath likes this

3 hours ago, Edgookin said:

I would really like a compendium.  But if they don't want that, do the print on demand decks.  Those wouldn't be hard to do.  I know I saw a fan based one for vehicles.

I've picked up four of these and love 'em! I'm new to the game and these are a great way of having a little variety without having to buy a ton of books.

Nytwyng, splad and whafrog like this