Jump to content
Tonbo Karasu

Imperial Cycle Spoilers

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Adeptus_Momarus said:

How is Waning Hostilities good for Unicorn? The whole blurb from the preview seemed backward as can be to me. Unicorn have two cards that allow them to exploit declaring multiple conflicts in captive audience and breakthrough. On top of that, their whole move in and out trickery becomes that much less useful when Waning Hostilities is played. "Hey, I tricked you into committing to a fight and then left, now your open for another attack...... oh."

If there's only one conflict you can potentially get the perfect attack and defence with movement abilities. Alternatively, in a situation where you can only do Military effectively, you make sure your opponent doesn't get to do two Conflicts back. Unicorn also have economy and recursion tricks, but lack character control - which means in a situation where your opponent has spent a lot of fate and has problem characters running out of fate, you're buying yourself time whilst the board wipes itself (and you get a big economy swing). Meanwhile, even if your flop is dicey (the turn after this) you can cavalry reserves etc. on the refreshed board.

It's not an auto-play out of Unicorn, but at the right time the impact could be huge.

Edited by GKZhukov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JolOfNar said:

Juro is great. Unicorn will benefit more from starting to get solid characters, than from one OP character. Hopefully is the start of a trend, several solid cards are better in a deck than one killer card you auto win with, or lose without. 

While I agree with this in theory, I don't know that Juro fills this role.  I think a 4 or 3 cost non-unique that had this kind of ability, even is just once per round would have been a bigger boost to the clan.  Juro requires a heavy fate investment or needs to be Charged into a conflict.....

Having a guy that can move around is great, but, if that's what you want you're putting at least 6 fate on him.  Is this guy someone that can carry you as your only personality, like some of the other 4 drops can?  I don't think so. If have preferred him to be stated better or cost less......but this seems to be a recurring thing for Unicorn.

I don't feel he solves anything for the Unicorn.  He gets a spot because the clan lacks cards that do good things, not because he is a game altering card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honored, and he's a threat in either. But yeah, would have liked more political stats, like Altansarnai. It's frustrating that Unicorn are the best at threatening each conflict, but they don't frequently have great balanced stats. Makes that fire ring all the more important, as well as keeping their guys in play longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kaigen said:

Dragon often wants to use both of their conflict declarations, and so probably wouldn't want to use it (and might dread seeing it from their opponents).

Depends on how many SEEKER OF ENLIGHTNEMENTS are about to hit the board...fate on rings = stupid good 2 drop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adeptus_Momarus said:

How is Waning Hostilities good for Unicorn? The whole blurb from the preview seemed backward as can be to me. Unicorn have two cards that allow them to exploit declaring multiple conflicts in captive audience and breakthrough. On top of that, their whole move in and out trickery becomes that much less useful when Waning Hostilities is played. "Hey, I tricked you into committing to a fight and then left, now your open for another attack...... oh."

Waning Hostilities gets the most of Captive Audience against political clans. They can only declare one conflict, and you’re gonna make it a MIL one whatever they choose. So good for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GKZhukov said:

If there's only one conflict you can potentially get the perfect attack and defence with movement abilities. Alternatively, in a situation where you can only do Military effectively, you make sure your opponent doesn't get to do two Conflicts back. Unicorn also have economy and recursion tricks, but lack character control - which means in a situation where your opponent has spent a lot of fate and has problem characters running out of fate, you're buying yourself time whilst the board wipes itself (and you get a big economy swing). Meanwhile, even if your flop is dicey (the turn after this) you can cavalry reserves etc. on the refreshed board.

It's not an auto-play out of Unicorn, but at the right time the impact could be huge.

I see what you're saying, but to me being able to control your personality commitment more better than any other clan matters more when you're balancing up to four conflicts versus two. I still don't really see it as a great card in unicorn, but maybe I'll play someone who proves me wrong. It's also possible my evaluation is off since I play lion mainly and letting them blob for massive stronghold/honored general/greater glory plays is probably going to be a bad time. It might be better against other clans.

 

19 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

Waning Hostilities gets the most of Captive Audience against political clans. They can only declare one conflict, and you’re gonna make it a MIL one whatever they choose. So good for you. 

True enough, but on the reverse side of this it's likely to be dead weight when you're facing another military clan. With another possible conflict you can try to draw them to over-commit and then exploit that to get around their otherwise superior ability to affect battle math and/or bring military to the table for cheap.

While we don't have the cards for honor and dishonor to be highly reliable quite yet, we're fairly close for a few clans. Once that happens, I see Waning Hostilities as a pacing card for those decks and traditional breaking decks are going to need to keep the double break threat alive as much as they can. Maybe FFG will control those decks a little better than AEG did though, so fighting decks won't need to be crazy fast to stand a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AradonTemplar said:

In case anyone misunderstood Waning Hostilities, you have to play it at the start of the conflict phase. There's no opportunity to take away someone's second conflict on the surprise (and thus waste some portion of their resources).

You waste their resources because they may have played stuff in the dynasty phase that you just made over-priced or even useless. (But it's probably good to clarify in case anyone did misread it).

Edited by GKZhukov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Notorious I.D.E. said:

Reactions to new article.

Phoenix have better monks than dragon?

Yeah. I feel Dragon really need a good 3 cost monk, and probably a good 5 cost monk as well.  We currently have only one 3 cost monk, and she's a conflict character. This new Phoenix monk is excellent, and continues the trend of them getting the types of mechanics I wish Dragon had 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Togashi Gao Shan said:

Yeah. I feel Dragon really need a good 3 cost monk, and probably a good 5 cost monk as well.  We currently have only one 3 cost monk, and she's a conflict character. This new Phoenix monk is excellent, and continues the trend of them getting the types of mechanics I wish Dragon had 

Dragon needs 5 cost Togashi Mitsu.  I think the reason Dragon didn't get him is that he wouldn't be an Imperial. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, HirumaShigure said:

I think we didn't see him cause he'll be in an evergreen deluxe box. 

Nothing prevents him from having different versions during the game's life, you know. But from a debut point of view, a deluxe could imply some prestige.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wintersong said:

Nothing prevents him from having different versions during the game's life, you know. But from a debut point of view, a deluxe could imply some prestige.

True, and I expect a dynasty version of Kachiko in a deluxe as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

Pretty sure Itinerant Philosopher is #85. Even with the blurry image, there are only two numbers on that card.

 

A good point, thank you.  I'll update the spreadsheet, but leave the OP until I have more to change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swordbreaker said:

Pretty sure Itinerant Philosopher is #85. Even with the blurry image, there are only two numbers on that card.

Itinerant_Philospher.jpg?w=231&h=308&cro

That’s the coolest ****ing card I’ve come across..... a tad cooler than Kazue and Tsukune. 

I don’t care what the action or stats do on this character. All I know is that I’m gonna run 3 in every deck I play; even if the deck isn’t a Dragon deck. :D 

Swordbreaker - I love you man! ?

?

Edited by LordBlunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LordBlunt said:

That’s the coolest ****ing card I’ve come across..... a tad cooler than Kazue and Tsukune. 

I don’t care what the action or stats do on this character. All I know is that I’m gonna run 3 in every deck I play; even if the deck isn’t a Dragon deck. :D 

Swordbreaker - I love you man! ?

?

Can't really take credit for it. It was one of the first spoiled cards in the cycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LordBlunt said:

That’s the coolest ****ing card I’ve come across..... a tad cooler than Kazue and Tsukune. 

I don’t care what the action or stats do on this character. All I know is that I’m gonna run 3 in every deck I play; even if the deck isn’t a Dragon deck. :D 

Swordbreaker - I love you man! ?

?

I'm glad you like the art.

The card really is kinda poop, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Togashi Gao Shan said:

I'm glad you like the art.

The card really is kinda poop, though.

The card is terrible. Canceling an event with Censure doesn’t require discarding the favor, but this actively impedes the use of multiple copies. Plus it further requires the target to have an attachment for no good reason. Incredibly restrictive and practically useless. 

The art seems fine though. 

Cards like this, High Kick, and Centipede Tattoo make me very worried about the Dragon Monk deck, which is sad because it was my go-to deck in old L5R. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LordBlunt said:

That’s the coolest ****ing card I’ve come across..... a tad cooler than Kazue and Tsukune. 

I don’t care what the action or stats do on this character. All I know is that I’m gonna run 3 in every deck I play; even if the deck isn’t a Dragon deck. :D 

Swordbreaker - I love you man! ?

?

Funny, because in CCG this art was for shugenja/alchemist Personality. And honestly it fits much better there than in Monk spot.

jpeg

 

Edited by kempy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kempy said:

 

jpeg

 

If you look closely, they took off that fire ray, and changed it with some liquid (water? Sake?). Or maybe this one is the original picture and was altered in the CCG. So he look less like a Shugenja  

Itinerant_Philospher.jpg?zoom=2&w=196&h=

Edited by Tabris2k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fact he's holding a bottle suggest it was still alchemist (shugenja), but maybe there were two versions because of different ability they were thinking about. As they decide to make ranged attack they choose fire liquid (as for other various tamori alchemists from ccg). Another important fact, that in CCG most times monks were potrayed as bald, half naked guys with visible tattoos. 

3741Oxf.png dIUVG7R.png

http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Tamori_Alchemist

Of course easiest way is to ask Sergio personally about story behind this artwork.

 

Edited by kempy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...