Tonbo Karasu

Imperial Cycle Spoilers

Waning Hostilities might be the biggest swing card yet. At the right time, the economy swing of simply passing, playing this, letting your opponent break a single province and watching a tonne of fate's worth of characters disappear will make even Ujiaki look like a sane card.

Who needs a thread ;)?

7 minutes ago, GKZhukov said:

Waning Hostilities might be the biggest swing card yet. At the right time, the economy swing of simply passing, playing this, letting your opponent break a single province and watching a tonne of fate's worth of characters disappear will make even Ujiaki look like a sane card.

Who needs a thread ;)?

It is also AMAZING for high glory clans.  Only 2 rings max, so claiming the favor just changed up a bit.

Juro is not nearly as good as he was hyped to be.  Only moving self in and out is neat, but, the Unicorn already have plenty of neat.  They need some straight up gas, but he ain't it.  He'll be in because he has to be, but Altansarnai is still the best 5 drop for Unicorn and that's not a good thing.

Edited by Ishi Tonu

1 minute ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Juro is not nearly as good as he was hyped to be.  Onlying moving self in and out is neat, but, the Unicorn already have plenty of neat.  They need some straight up has and But I ain't it.  He'll be on because he has to be, but Altansarnai is still the best 5 drop for Unicorn and that's not a good thing.

I think you are underestimating how big retreating is. Informed decisions like that are gmae changers, especially for a clan who needs to spend their conflict cards judiciously.

His low Political value is his bigest weakness, you cand really use his full benefit without Captive Audience.

13 minutes ago, codegnave said:

We'll have to start paying attention that specific reaction window and player order haha, I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't always include Waning Hostilities.

Dragon often wants to use both of their conflict declarations, and so probably wouldn't want to use it (and might dread seeing it from their opponents).

Things Juro can do:

1. Guarantee both Spyglass triggers a turn.

2. Trigger Ide Trader

3. Move in, Rout, Move out.

4. Have Watch Commander in ALL 4 CONFLICTS

5. Allow you to over commit to an assault with a jettison for itself.

6. Charge into a fight, then move out, allowing you at attack with him later.

And these were just off the top of my head. He exists to unlock a bucket of synergy from the Unicorn, he is pretty amazing.

5 minutes ago, codegnave said:

I think you are underestimating how big retreating is. Informed decisions like that are gmae changers, especially for a clan who needs to spend their conflict cards judiciously.

His low Political value is his bigest weakness, you cand really use his full benefit without Captive Audience.

No I'm completely aware of how important retreating is.....that's why I refuse to remove Favorable Ground from most of my decks.

The rumors about this card have turned out to be overblown, and even though Juro is good he's not great in an environment where the best way to play big people is to Charge them into a conflict.  I would have liked to see an ability that impacted a battle, preferably the rumored ability to move a character with equal or lower military skill.

This guy still feels like an overpriced 4 drop, no matter how good retreating is in general.

9 minutes ago, TheItsyBitsySpider said:

Things Juro can do:

1. Guarantee both Spyglass triggers a turn.

2. Trigger Ide Trader

3. Move in, Rout, Move out.

4. Have Watch Commander in ALL 4 CONFLICTS

5. Allow you to over commit to an assault with a jettison for itself.

6. Charge into a fight, then move out, allowing you at attack with him later.

And these were just off the top of my head. He exists to unlock a bucket of synergy from the Unicorn, he is pretty amazing.

Yes all those things are amazing.....but you still have to be able to win the battle, and the current crop of pONI need Juro's military stats in the battle to win.  

11 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

No I'm completely aware of how important retreating is.....that's why I refuse to remove Favorable Ground from most of my decks.

The rumors about this card have turned out to be overblown, and even though Juro is good he's not great in an environment where the best way to play big people is to Charge them into a conflict.  I would have liked to see an ability that impacted a battle, preferably the rumored ability to move a character with equal or lower military skill.

This guy still feels like an overpriced 4 drop, no matter how good retreating is in general.

I agree with the affecting battles thing, Unicorn doesnt have enough of those types of abilities, and the ones we do have are weak. But Juro fits the design space we have so far, and is pretty good at what he does.

And this is why I never listen to rumors, even if many wind up being true.

11 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Yes all those things are amazing.....but you still have to be able to win the battle, and the current crop of pONI need Juro's military stats in the battle to win.  

Nothing speaks against that. Most of those tricks work just as well with a bowed Juro.

The holding uni needs to be a great deck:

Action: after a character move in or out of a conflict, destroy this holding, ready the character.

Edited by L5RBr

1 minute ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Juro's ability is what every old guard Unicorn has been asking for since day one. He enables tricks that are ingrained into old pony bones that have, so far, been lacking in this game.

I'll take this random guy... Wish it was Kamoko, though.

What's really interesting to me is how Waning Hostilities interacts with Breakthrough. I know I *should* take the worst case scenario and live with it, but I feel like Breakthrough tells you to declare a second conflict despite Waning's restriction.

I generally don't buy into rumors either.........but this one I was really hoping for so the pONI players would have field some "zomg broken!!!" troll threads.

I've already got Juro slotted into my updated decklist, and I know he'll give my opponents fits. I just don't know that he it the kind of character that can swing a battle into you favor the way so many of the other 5 drops and champs can. 

Faith restored. The rumour was just a rumour!

Juro is pretty great as is. I like him a lot, and I think many Unicorn players will be overjoyed when he gets released later this week.

Also, Waning Hostilities is incredible. One of my favourite cards to be released ever.

3 minutes ago, JolOfNar said:

Juro is great. Unicorn will benefit more from starting to get solid characters, than from one OP character. Hopefully is the start of a trend, several solid cards are better in a deck than one killer card you auto win with, or lose without. 

This both explains why I like Juro and why I don't like Waning Hostilities (even though it's good for Unicorn) all at once.

6 minutes ago, GKZhukov said:

This both explains why I like Juro and why I don't like Waning Hostilities (even though it's good for Unicorn) all at once.

Waning is another one of those auto include cards. Thing is there are now so many they don’t all fit. Balance and choice is being restored by adding too much strong stuff. 

5 minutes ago, GKZhukov said:

How is Waning Hostilities good for Unicorn? The whole blurb from the preview seemed backward as can be to me. Unicorn have two cards that allow them to exploit declaring multiple conflicts in captive audience and breakthrough. On top of that, their whole move in and out trickery becomes that much less useful when Waning Hostilities is played. "Hey, I tricked you into committing to a fight and then left, now your open for another attack...... oh."