Tonbo Karasu

Imperial Cycle Spoilers

Coming back on the idea of an imperial stronghold, I guess it would start with highest honor or produce one extra fate. In any way it should have a high value of Influence and/or eventually allow influence from more than one clan. 

With regards to an imperial stronghold. It would be interesting if the dynasty deck was constrained by keywords more than clan association. The conflict have like 20 influence, 10 from each of any 2 clans

Edited by Molinext
Clarity

Seeing that Crane and Scorpion seals give secondary traits (and that neither gives Courtier), I doubt a little that Bushi, Shugenja and maybe Monk will be given by the other seals. I think we should look into other less common traits.

My bet would be :

- Crab : Scout or Berserker.

- Dragon : Tattooed? Nothing based on it for now, but some tattooes could come.

- Lion : Commander maybe. There's Akodo Tashiro power that's based on it.

- Phoenix : Scholar? Yojimbo? Not much use for either of them currently. Maybe they could go another way with the Phoenix and allow the player to choose any of the 5 elemental traits?

- Unicorn : Cavalry

1 hour ago, KerenRhys said:

- Dragon : Tattooed? Nothing based on it for now, but some tattooes could come.

Ascetic visionary calls out the monk and tattooed traits separately, so if it did give tattooed that would just mean more valid targets for his unbow ability, even if we don't get tattoos any time soon; however given that there are currently two conflict cards that call out monk in addition to the ascetic, and thus far not much else exists that benefits the monk trait (which is very different compared to courtier, bushi, and, to a lesser extent, shugenja), so I wouldn't rule monk out (which I see that you didn't entirely).

Also, given that the crane and scorpion seals both give out traits that they have some conflict cards that call them out, but a very limited pool of characters that have them, I do think monk is a likely choice for dragon, possibly even over tattooed, because it fits with that pattern (two conflict cards that call out monk, and one dynasty card, versus four dynasty characters, one of which is crap so is unlikely to run unless we're trying to build a monk focused deck, which we don't have the support to do so atm, and two conflict characters/attachments) better than tattooed (every single one of the existing monks is also tattooed, thus arguing that there might be more dragon monks than crane duelists or scorpion shinobi [I don't know either of those clans well enough to know if that is true] also applies to the tattooed trait, the only difference is the amount of existing support for said trait on the conflict side, and monk support is more in line than tattooed).

12 hours ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

The rumor circulating the internet is Reprieve on a holding for Crab.

Considering that Iron Mine was a source of resource  in O5R, it can possibly be a version of Imperial Storehouse for Fate just for Crabs.

Edited by Yogo Rye X

On 8/27/2017 at 10:03 PM, PhoenixInferno said:

Nothing exists/matters until it does. The speculation will only lead you to sorrow. Let go of your attachments!

And in AGoT, Iron Mine is a Greyjoy holding that saves a character from dying. 

Looking over the chart in the first post, I see that there are 20 role-specific cards in the cycle.  That's a full pack worth, or 1/6 of the cycle.

Does that seem excessive to anyone else?

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the role system to begin with, but having a full 6th of the cards in the cycle be ones whose usability is determined by one tournament that only a fraction of players will attend seems like a questionable decision to me.

I would much rather have regular cards without such a restriction, especially this early in the life of the game.  All the role-specific cards taking up space in the packs seem like they slow the growth of the card pool.

1 hour ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

Looking over the chart in the first post, I see that there are 20 role-specific cards in the cycle.  That's a full pack worth, or 1/6 of the cycle.

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of the role system to begin with, but having a full 6th of the cards in the cycle be ones whose usability is determined by one tournament that only a fraction of players will attend seems like a questionable decision to me.

I would much rather have regular cards without such a restriction, especially this early in the life of the game.  All the role-specific cards taking up space in the packs seem like they slow the growth of the card pool.

I agree with all the points in terms of it slowing the card pool down, creating build restrictions etc.  And 1/6th of the pack is a good number of cards.

However I like the role system, it creates for dynamic deck building changes long term. And I have no problem with the idea somebody who has earned the chance dictating the way the clan must play in full tournaments. Casual play,  these restriction only applies within people's minds.  

So while I agree with the points I just dont see it as a bad thing in anyway. 

24 minutes ago, Isawa Tasatu said:

I agree with all the points in terms of it slowing the card pool down, creating build restrictions etc.  And 1/6th of the pack is a good number of cards.

However I like the role system, it creates for dynamic deck building changes long term. And I have no problem with the idea somebody who has earned the chance dictating the way the clan must play in full tournaments. Casual play,  these restriction only applies within people's minds.  

So while I agree with the points I just dont see it as a bad thing in anyway. 

The role system is definitely a bit of a turn-off for me to begin with, but I think the particular way in which it's being implemented makes it more obnoxious than it needs to be. 

Role cards in the core set, as well as the two initiates, don't take up a whole lot of card slots.  If they just added the element-dependent provinces in this cycle, that wouldn't be bad at all, only taking up 5 spots out of 120.  But then we also have the keeper/seeker provinces and keeper/seeker clan cards, bringing the total up to 21/120, which is a pretty significant chunk of the cards.  And even worse, some of those clan cards are dynasty cards instead of conflict cards.  The poor Northern Wall Sensei not only can't be played in clan; she can't be played by anyone until the next world championship, being effectively banned before even being released.  Later on, maybe role-specific dynasty cards for the clans wouldn't seem so bad.  But in the first cycle, I don't know why they would do that.

I realize of course that this only matters for official tournaments, and home games can be played however one wants.  But I still think a slower rollout of these cards would have been preferable instead of getting so many at once.  It definitely dampens my enthusiasm for the cycle.

I do think making Keeper/Seeker Clan-specific Dynasty cards is a mistake.  But outside of Northern Wall Sensei, every single card in this cycle is legally playable - just not always in a given Clan.

To put it another way, the vast majority of the cards in this cycle are Clan cards.  Having a Clan creates innate restrictions in regards to which decks can run these cards.  Should we complain that most cards aren’t neutral?

EDIT:  I also find it funny when people say the roles can be ignored in casual games.  Everything can be ignored in casual games.  Want to play Bayushi Shoju in your Crane deck? If you can get your opponent to agree to allowing it, go for it.

Edited by GooeyChewie

5 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

I don't mind the role-specific cards, really.  For casual play, they don't really have much of an effect, as I can choose whichever role I want.  For official play, we'll have to see how it works out, but I think the role-specific cards may be able to help ensure that the meta changes more often than would happen with new card releases alone.

I think the number of role-specific cards would probably be a bit more concerning were it not for the fact that they released the first cycle so quickly.  Getting six packs in six weeks allows us to have a fair number of role-specific cards, while at the same time ensuring that a good number of non-role cards are released, too.

43 minutes ago, GooeyChewie said:

EDIT:  I also find it funny when people say the roles can be ignored in casual games.  Everything can be ignored in casual games.  Want to play Bayushi Shoju in your Crane deck? If you can get your opponent to agree to allowing it, go for it.

Well why not? you can do anything with the cards once you get them.... how do you think highlander decks came about, or any variation of the card games over the years. People made up their own rules and just had fun. Nothing stops anybody from doing this.... in the end for most of us  play amongst a small circle of friends and maybe at a local shop...... well I hope they are having fun however they decide to play the game.