Tonbo Karasu

Imperial Cycle Spoilers

2 hours ago, KerenRhys said:

Looks like the clans who got a third card are those with Keeper/Seeker only cards. Maybe to ensure there are at least 2 usable cards per clan per pack?

If that's the case, it would imply that Crab and Dragon are the ones that will get a third card in For Honor and Glory.

This logic is sound.  Though how does that divide out amongst the 6 packs?  Does this mean some packs will 3-4 clans with more than 2 cards in them?

I'm guesstimating that Clans will receive 15 or fewer cards per clan per cycle, allowing for neutrals.  We can see that there will be at least 5 new neutral provinces (more likely 10 - Keeper/Seeker).  That leaves 5 additional neutrals.  So 14/clan/cycle gets us 10 provinces and 12 misc neuts?  That could be right.

1 hour ago, Mirith said:

This logic is sound.  Though how does that divide out amongst the 6 packs?  Does this mean some packs will 3-4 clans with more than 2 cards in them?

14 = 2 per pack + 1 Keeper & 1 Seeker.  Good reasoning @KerenRhys!

Edited by Duciris

7 hours ago, Matsu Jacksu said:

As a Lion player, the new holding, gifted tactician, and (if we stay with a Keeper Role) Disdainful Remark are all going in.

I think i AM missing something.

The Lion province says political conflicts cant be declared here, and is unique, theres something Else?

How this card os usefull?

10 hours ago, Tebbo said:

Yeah. the lion holding seems kind of like a stupidly obvious pick. Makes me wonder if there will be some anti-holding stuff coming.

I dont get It.

The opponent cant declare a political conflict against that unique province.

So he cant just brake the 3 others and Go to the stronghold? 

15 minutes ago, L5RBr said:

I think i AM missing something.

The Lion province says political conflicts cant be declared here, and is unique, theres something Else?

How this card os usefull?

Just what does the Lion holding do? (am assuming that you are summarizing the text on the card???) 

If it does state that Political Conflicts can’t be declared at that Province, then I’m assuming there will be another Province stating a Military Conflict can’t be declared at that given Province,.... right? And to which Clan would that be given to, Crane? 

1 hour ago, LordBlunt said:

Just what does the Lion holding do? (am assuming that you are summarizing the text on the card???) 

If it does state that Political Conflicts can’t be declared at that Province, then I’m assuming there will be another Province stating a Military Conflict can’t be declared at that given Province,.... right? And to which Clan would that be given to, Crane? 

Honestly I'd be fine with this not getting a "mirror" card for political. 

2 hours ago, L5RBr said:

I dont get It.

The opponent cant declare a political conflict against that unique province.

So he cant just brake the 3 others and Go to the stronghold? 

Can he though? And, who is to say the other available provinces don't have abilities he wants to deal with? Especially if this flips on a province whose reaction may have already gone off!

For a military clan like Lion, forcing a military conflict anywhere is a plus. Which means if your opponent is running a political deck, and for whatever reason they need to make a military swing there, it's sub-optimal for them.

As a "Limit 1 per deck" holding, I can't think of a single reason Lion shouldn't run it; even as their 41st card.

The Lion province seems terrible.

Stop refilling a province Just to make some decks choose the other prov to attack, when You dont even control were It Will appear? What about flipping on art of war? Is worth risk one turn to get this on? In swarm the provinces slots are precious.

To be a usable card at least It should have the ability: action: change this card with another in one of your provinces.

It's a card that won't be attacked, focus on the other three and play them, you can leave that one alone until you need it.

Making your opponent playing around your other three provinces is a plus, more when you have one that makes you draw three cards (as long as they don't share element, which I don't know xD).

I got It! Now I see the true potential of this card, If you dont use ancestral Lands Under the stronghold, If It Flip on other province It can be Very usefull.

Still i think It needed to be province-changeable to be really good.

As a Phoenix player, right now the only times I see myself attacking into the new Lion holding is if I have an honored Tsukune (and card support to keep her honored), or  I'm going in with Isawa Atsuko for a Void conflict. At the very least that holding has a great psychological impact on less military focused opponents. 

Yeah, without a way to control which province you're defending I don't see it being very good. The advantage of forcing your opponent into three other provinces is great, but without the ability to control which one you're blocking off, you're still probably not sending them to a better province.

Then again, unless it randomly ends up on your 'best' province, it forces them to encounter your best province, so it's a net gain. I guess it can also encourage people to poke new provinces if it is sitting on a face-up province, which is usually a beneficial thing. I think these upsides are outweighed by the fact that it's possible to make military attacks at the province anyways, and even the military-strong lion deck is not immune to them.

Overall, I wouldn't be surprised if decks run this card, but don't expect it to perform particularly well. Too many things that could go wrong that defeat it.

Full list of cards from the 1st pack:

1. Blood of Onnotangu: neutral Fire province (seeker)
  2. Tears of Amaterasu: neutral Void province (keeper)
  3. Staunch Hida: Crab dynasty character
  4. *Karada District: Crab holding
  5. Doji Representative: Crane dynasty character
  6. *Kitsuki Yaruma: Dragon dynasty character
  7. Gifted Tactician: Lion dynasty character
  8. *Hito District: Lion holding
  9. *Isawa Kaede: Phoenix dynasty character
  10. Swift Magistrate: Unicorn dynasty character
  11. Windswept Yurt: Unicorn holding
  12. Seal of the Crane: Crane attachment /
  13. Disdainful Remark: Crane event (keeper) /
  14. *Jade Masterpiece: Dragon attachment //
  15. Time for War: Lion event (seeker) /
  16. Embrace the Void: Phoenix attachment //
  17. Meek informant: Scorpion conflict character /
  18. Smoke and Mirrors: Scorpion event //
  19. Goblin Sneak: neutral conflict character
  20. Finger of Jade: neutral attachment

Cards still follow the same order as in the core set: provinces first (I'll bet they'd come after strongholds if there were any), then dynasty cards by clan and type, then conflict cards by clan and type.

Edited by Khudzlin

4 hours ago, Khudzlin said:

Cards still follow the same order as in the core set: provinces first (I'll bet they'd come after strongholds if there were any), then dynasty cards by clan and type, then conflict cards by clan and type.

I suspect Strongholds will only be released with expansions.

It really does look like we're getting a full cycle of 5-cost Characters.  We have three confirmed already:  Yasuki Taka for Crab; Kakita Yoshi for Crane; Isawa Kaede for Phoenix.  So, I think it's time to start taking calls on the others:

• Dragon - this is kinda hard, as there is no-one obvious.  Mirumoto Masashige perhaps?  Only named Daimyo and last seen considering heading to Imperial court.
  • Lion - the obvious thing is to say Matsu Tsuko, but this is the Imperial Cycle, not the War cycle, so I'm going to suggest Ikoma Anakazu
  • Scorpion - if it's not Bayushi Kachiko, I'd be most surprised
  • Unicorn - there's a number of options here: Ide Tadaji, Iuchi Daiyu, but the fun option could be Iuchi Shahai :)
  • Neutral - Hantei Sotorii.  I don't think the Emperor will ever be a card (other than the Favour), but his heir is up for grabs.
  • Conflict - Yoritomo as a 5-cost Mantis Conflict character?  Maybe.

Any other opinions?

For Dragon, I'd guess it's between Mirumoto Masashige and Togashi Mitsu. Mitsu may not be Imperial related but the Monk theme of the Dragon is a bit lacking currently I think so it would make sense. Moreover, it may be a coincidence but the 3 5-cost characters we have seen revealed are old fan favorites so if it's the same for the 4 others, Mitsu have quite an edge on Masashige. ^_^

For Lion, I'd stay on Tsuko. Anakazu is basically an unknown (only mentionned by his wife) and Tsuko is currently very important storyline-wise so I think she should be in this cycle.

For Scorpion, Kachiko is almost garanteed, being Imperial Advisor and the most iconic Scorpion character there was.

For Unicorn, it could be Tadaji since he's an old favorite too and Imperial-related, but do the Unicorns needs a champion-size courtier currently? Daiyu and Kamoko are also possible and would go well for some budding subthemes. I don't really see Shahai as a 5-cost character as she is currently in the storyline. Later, on a second card, when she'll have grown, sure, but not yet. Unicorn may be the less obvious, if I had to bet on one, I'd go with Tadaji.

Edited by KerenRhys

13 hours ago, Kakita Shiro said:

I suspect Strongholds will only be released with expansions.

I wouldn't bet on it. There is precedent for similar cards in packs for other games (agendas for AGoT, identities for ANR, warlords for Conquest). Conquest even had a whole cycle with each faction getting a new warlord.

Also, FFG tends to focus expansions on 1 faction (2 in asymmetric games) and I'd hate to see a stronghold imbalance last too long.

9 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

I'm pretty sure I've said it somewhere before, but I REALLY hope we get some sort of imperial stronghold with this cycle. Way of the Chrysanthemum gives me a little hope that it just might happen. 

On the one hand I agree, it would be nice. On the other hand, I fear that it might be too soon to introduce another playable faction. I'd rather have more time to get familiar with the existing seven clans.

7 hours ago, Yakamo no Oni said:

On the one hand I agree, it would be nice. On the other hand, I fear that it might be too soon to introduce another playable faction. I'd rather have more time to get familiar with the existing seven clans.

I'd consider sub factions as fine since they're not getting full support or just use existing cards. If imperials did get a stronghold, it wouldn't be that they would overshadow the clans. Not by a long shot.