Matrim

Preview for first Dynasty pack is up! - Tears of Amaterasu

5 hours ago, KerenRhys said:

Tsukune doesn't claim the remaining rings, she only resolves their effect. So, if there's no RoW remaining, her power doesn't especially help with the Imperial Favor.

You are correct. I don't know why I thought she helped with the favour, must have been her Glory. 

Just now, Bayushi Nono said:

She can help with the favor sometimes. Ready her with unclaimed Ring of Water and add 4 to the Glory Count. :P

The favor is done before she can activate rings - I think what someone was saying before about her is that if she is dishonored, you are basically guaranteed the favor with her glory, so she isn't useless even at 0/0

8 hours ago, Anemura said:

You are correct. I don't know why I thought she helped with the favour, must have been her Glory. 

We didn't get the full Rules Reference and learn that you contest for honor before the end of the conflict phase until some time after her card was previewed.

17 hours ago, TheItsyBitsySpider said:

Having Tsukune and a Meddling Mediator out on the same turn is just fantastic. You just defend and not bother swinging, then just cashing in on rings all game, if your opponent swings twice you punish him with the Meddler.

Its all the choice for the opponent and all of them are bad.

I feel that it's a good indication of the pacifist nature of the clan: everyone is happier not attacking anyone.

7 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

We didn't get the full Rules Reference and learn that you contest for honor before the end of the conflict phase until some time after her card was previewed.

True, but it's more about the claim vs. resolve. Tsukune's ability does not claim the rings, so they can't factor into the Favour count. 

I think I made that leap because I often end up with the Favour playing Phoenix. High Glory characters make it easier. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:31 AM, Anemura said:

Tsukune is a 'stronger' (+2M/+1P) Serene Warrior until she executes her ability at the end of the round. When that happens, she does something on the level of what other Champions do, but she does it without having to lift a finger. That's very strong.  

"Win-more" implies that the player is already winning, or has just won something. Hotaru executes her ability after a win. That's win-more. She has already won the battle and is generating effects to alter the remaining board state. Tsukune executes her ability win or lose, battle or no battle, honoured or dishonoured, bowed or unbowed. That's not win-more. That's 'win regardless'.

The Favour goes to the player with the highest readied Glory + Rings. Tsukune all but ensures that the Phoenix have an advantage here by claiming the remaining rings and having high glory. Also, the type of ring doesn't matter here, just the number. 

A defender can claim a contested ring if he/she wins said battle. 

Granted, having 2 rings to resolve at the end of the round is not guaranteed. Nor is the quality of the remaining ring(s) assured. At worst, the RoW would have to be avoided by both players for 'quality' to be an issue. Further, if less than 2 rings remain, then it means that both players claimed 4 rings. Hopefully, the Phoenix player claimed 1 or 2 using Tsukune in the conflicts. She still helps in that regard. In other words, things have to align very well against Tsukune for her not to have been effective each turn.

Aside: More often than not, I see the RoE and RoA executed by her. A net effect of about 4 honour points every round. 

Tskune/Serene Warrior: She's also a more expensive of the same type of character: a middling or below skill character that requires resources to become effective. Serene Warrior has the advantage of being cheaper and possibility allowing the player to use fate for other things.

Win-more cards can be described  anything that require either more resources than necessary, misuse resources, or otherwise are cards that perform well under very limited circumstances. Reid Duke's article is a good read about the idea. Yes, a different, game but similar concepts can be found across others too. With Tsukune, you're looking at the ability as powerful when it requires rather restricted requires to meet that goal. 

Ring Claiming: No, the player who wins the conflict claims the ring. Where is this may claim reading from? The learn to play and rules pdfs also say the player, either attacking or defending, claims the ring. 

Ring Claiming 2:I'm still not sure how Tsukune ensures that the Phoenix player gets the favor.

I'm glad you see Rings of Earth and Air in every game you've played with her. I usually see rather lackluster effects or players using way too many resources to get rings they want and end up setting up losses because of it. 

@Tonbo KarasuThe problem with that combo and the pacifist goal, although flavorful, is that the Phoenix player is letting the other player dictate the flow of the game, where they could potentially punish you. There's also the problem of the ability only doing something on a second conflict and that the effect is relatively minor. The extra fate can be a good swing but you're more likely to get honor. It's sort of like Levy, but there's at least a courtier body attached to it. 

Edited by Kubernes

8 hours ago, Kubernes said:

Serene Warrior has the advantage of being cheaper and possibility allowing the player to use fate for other things.

Serene Warrior is one of the worst phoenix personalities by a long shot, entirely because its far easier to dishonor then honor currently and he does nothing for you. His 3 fate cost is a waste when compared to other 3 cost characters, the slot should always be given to Shiba Yojimbo or Fire Wizard who actually do things. 

He shouldn't be compared with Tsukune, the only similarity they share is that they want to get honored, which every phoenix currently does. Tsukune gives you the ability to defend and ensure rings, then has complete synergy with Way of the Phoenix and Know the World, two of phoenix's best cards. Her being honored is irrelevant to why you would run her most of the time.

8 hours ago, Kubernes said:

Tonbo KarasuThe problem with that combo and the pacifist goal, although flavorful, is that the Phoenix player is letting the other player dictate the flow of the game, where they could potentially punish you. There's also the problem of the ability only doing something on a second conflict and that the effect is relatively minor. The extra fate can be a good swing but you're more likely to get honor. It's sort of like Levy, but there's at least a courtier body attached to it. 

In phoenix dishonor, the ability to steal honor is very important, so the knowledge of them swinging and losing an honor can very easily force them to only attack once, guaranteeing the Air or fire ring. When they hit that dangerous 4-6 honor mark, swinging twice becomes to risky. Its not letting the opponent dictate the flow of the game, its the opposite, your dictating what they want to do by controlling them with punisher effects. THATS the power of Tsukune and Meddler.