Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

New Dreadnaught and Walker Reveal

After TFA, I had very low hopes for Episode 8.  Everytime I see something "new" from TLJ, my hopes for it sink to an even more pathetic level. Here's hoping anthology films are all of the same caliber as Rogue One, because they're our last hope for quality Star Wars stories and things.

8 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

After TFA, I had very low hopes for Episode 8.  Everytime I see something "new" from TLJ, my hopes for it sink to an even more pathetic level. Here's hoping anthology films are all of the same caliber as Rogue One, because they're our last hope for quality Star Wars stories and things.

This. Likewise, after TFA, I completely lost interest in anything sequel related. And as far as designs go? The prequel designs of ships and vehicles are much better.

The sequels seem to not only be completely recycling ship and vehicle designs, but also storyline. Boring. 

4 minutes ago, ElSee said:

The sequels seem to not only be completely recycling ship and vehicle designs, but also storyline. Boring. 

The vehicles and design make sense, although on storyline, we have been promissed several times that it's something completely new. I don't know anything in episode V that can possibly relate to the last jedi saying it's time for the jedi to end

So you don't see the similarities between Episode 5 and what we know of Episode 8 right now?

Four legged walkers for the bad guys.

Looks like the good guys are going to take them out using land speeders of sorts.

An old Jedi master is training a young one.

Heck, they're even replicating star fighter designs as well. For TFA they could have come up with something better than a slightly modified X-Wing and TIE Fighter. Now there are rumours of a FO Bomber (which looks the same). And there are A-Wings in Episode 8 as well. Episode 7 was a rehashed version of A New Hope anyway.

At least the prequels were slightly more intuitive, new and interesting designs.

32 minutes ago, Visovics said:

I don't know anything in episode V that can possibly relate to the last jedi saying it's time for the jedi to end

It could easily just be a complaint from a bitter, jaded Luke who doesn't (initially) want to train Rey.  "I did this before, blah blah, nothing changed, Dark Side."  Let's not forget Yoda spent a decent portion of Episode 5 giving reasons why he wasn't going to train Luke.   This could be the same sort of thing.

12 minutes ago, ElSee said:

So you don't see the similarities between Episode 5 and what we know of Episode 8 right now?

Four legged walkers for the bad guys.

Looks like the good guys are going to take them out using land speeders of sorts.

An old Jedi master is training a young one.

Heck, they're even replicating star fighter designs as well. For TFA they could have come up with something better than a slightly modified X-Wing and TIE Fighter. Now there are rumours of a FO Bomber (which looks the same). And there are A-Wings in Episode 8 as well. Episode 7 was a rehashed version of A New Hope anyway.

At least the prequels were slightly more intuitive, new and interesting designs.

The "speeders" we see in the trailer for the resistance are only there to get a dust cloud as a visual cover for the troops coming

The timing on when the old Jedi master trains the young one is now at the beginning of the film, and we know that they get attacked by the old master's nephew who until not so long ago had troubles between the light and the dark and has now killed his father and he's accompanied by his happy murderous friends.

Why would the resistance spend on developing new starfighter blueprints?? They must have already spent a lot for the gigantic Starhawks, and we have already been told that the political scenario is still a turmoil, so why would they try to completely replace if they can just improve the tech they had on the old starfighters that were not bad?

The FO is literally the ashes of the empire looking to rise and re-take power but without commiting the same mistakes. Most they have is based on Imperial stuff because this is what they have the most avaible to look at. For example Starkiller base wasn't completely built by the FO, it was an Imperial plan that was found and completed by the first order, the fighters and ships are versions that don't focus on looks, but on raw firepower and dominance on battlefield as well as resistant hull to win, they literally correct mistakes from the Empire and take the good parts and improve.

2 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

It could easily just be a complaint from a bitter, jaded Luke who doesn't (initially) want to train Rey.  "I did this before, blah blah, nothing changed, Dark Side."  Let's not forget Yoda spent a decent portion of Episode 5 giving reasons why he wasn't going to train Luke.   This could be the same sort of thing.

Could be. Everything here is speculations, and all we have is 1 trailer and reveals. They wouldn't just give away stuff like that so easily. Even on TFA, the marketing was directed to make believe that Finn would be the force wielder because all campaigning had him with the lightsaber, and then once we watch we discover that it's Rey. Lucasfilm said that they were playing safe on TFA and that after Rogue One, they are more confident to take risks, and they keep saying how it's something completely new, and soI'll wait and when it comes out I'll see if it's a copy, if it is, that's a shame, if it isn't, then I'll watch it a few more times

3 minutes ago, Shazbot said:

Maybe this Star Destroyer will actually do something in this movie unlike the Ep 7 one.   Too bad it looks boring AF. 

It has 2 giant auto-cannons, I will lead a riot outside Lucasfilms if it does nothing

The dreadnaught will be the McGuffin for the entire movie, I'd imagine. Those cannons in particular. Given their size, and the fact that the planet in all the promos so far has been covered in sand, I'm going to go right ahead and say the word "glass" will be thrown around as a verb quite liberally when describing the threat.

"It is time for the galaxy to end."

When I watched The Force Awakens it felt as though both sides were crumbling. That this was their final breaths before they become nothing more than a faint memory.

The Original Trilogy, Rebels and Rogue One gave us much more life. The Empire and Rebels Alliance we're full of energy. 

So far, TFA and the leaks and trailer for TLJ just make it seem as though the Star Wars galaxy is dying. An old, wheezing elephant slowly plodding towards the water in the futile hope of survival only to collapse within inches. As the dust settles around it, the elephant groans as it slowly reaches out with it's paining, trembling trunk, only to gasp it's last breath and die as the trunk hits the surface of the water.

By the way I kinda liked The Force Awakens, and can't wait to see The Last Jedi. But not as excited as I am to see Season Three of Rebels or the Han Solo movie.

Just feels as if Star Wars beyond the Galactic Civil War is dying, whereas I'd hoped the Sequels would bring new life to the franchise.

3 hours ago, NakedDex said:

I, for one, welcome the Ork Warboss placed in charge of Imperial weapons design. I'm just surprised they talked him out of painting them red.

Well if they come to the game there is nothing to stop you from completing his masterpiece. :P

"The bigger the better" american mentality. I expected some original cool new designs, not necessarily big. New Corvettes or Assault Frigates sized ships for both factions. I see lack of creativity at every part of it. Bigger pizza slice with bigger cannons, thats all.

41 minutes ago, ISD Avenger said:

The Resugent design is growing on me. Not loving this new design.

I didn't like the Resurgent until better pictures turned up. Then when I saw it on screen I liked it. If FFG make it, I'll be very happy to buy and use it. 

Right now I'm not at all keen on the well endowed flying pizza slice, but I'm hoping it's just the picture and it'll look cooler.

44 minutes ago, ISD Avenger said:

And the monkey hands walker.... Well, let's just hope it does something cool to redeem itself for looking ridiculous.

Hopefully it won't be climbing a tall building and swiping at X-Wings.

Just how big is the First Order?  I always thought they were a small remnant of the old empire that held on after their defeat to the Rebellion.  As they get further and further in, they look like a fully funded organization.

The Force Awakens is all over the place.  The designs aren't terrible, but I'm still confused why they completely dumped all their old technology instead of refitting it.  Maybe I missed something.  I thought that big Star Destroyer was Kylo Ren's personal one and that they were still using all the old stuff.

I have no idea what's going on.  "Let's make new crap so we can sell new toys."

well.... I guess we're doing this...

UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME 3.0

I like the new ship.

9VQmP3Q.jpg
While the aesthetic design of an Imperial Class will always be the most beautiful, functionally I feel like it's firepower is always halved because the turbolasers can only face forward or arc to the side of the ship they're built on. This new designs seems to allow the majority of it's firepower to be shifted 180° by placing it's turrets upon a flat surface. Also given it's shape, may have a distinct advantage against fighters as the thin flat design means squadrons are almost always going to be in a position to fire upon....

OarQkfY.jpg
The big "*****-like" superlaser is a bit of a laugh... I never thought the SW universe would get a ship with a wang... but the over all idea I can still get behind. That said, I'd still hope for the resurgent class before this.

Because reasons.

11 hours ago, TallGiraffe said:

You could literally use just one Imperial Class star destroyer do the same bombardment for a fraction of the cost.

Maybe in the newcanon, Star Destroyers are not very good at bombardment - with them wholeheartedly rejecting EU portrayals of them as bombardment ships?

The Mandator-IV has two belly-mounted bombardment cannons:

http://www.starwars.com/news/inside-two-deadly-new-first-order-vehicles-from-the-last-jedi

Edited by Ironlord

35 minutes ago, ricefrisbeetreats said:

Just how big is the First Order?  I always thought they were a small remnant of the old empire that held on after their defeat to the Rebellion.  As they get further and further in, they look like a fully funded organization.

The Force Awakens is all over the place.  The designs aren't terrible, but I'm still confused why they completely dumped all their old technology instead of refitting it.  Maybe I missed something.  I thought that big Star Destroyer was Kylo Ren's personal one and that they were still using all the old stuff.

I have no idea what's going on.  "Let's make new crap so we can sell new toys."

Well SPOILERS FROM THE AFTERMATH BOOKS AHEAD READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

So in the last book, we learn that the SSD Eclipse is hidden in a nebula in the unknown regions, and as far as we can speculate, it's where the first order officially begins, with Sloane also arriving there with a group of brainwashed children that learn to fight brutally and obey orders from Hux (still a child) no matter what. It's not hard to assume that the Eclipse has at least a small fleet with it, and work in the unknown regions was already under work by the empire, likely the SSD was watching over the make of Starkiller base since the death of the emperor. Also as we can hear from Snoke how he isn't going to repeat the Empire's mistakes, thus why we see so many designs from the FO cover flaws in imperial blueprints- Walkers that can't be taken down by cables and have gigantic lasers, larger ships with better fighter defense for a more resisting ship as they are not expendable, which also don't have bridge shield generators sticking out exposed to easily blow up under fighter fire. The FO is improving upon what the Empire showed flaws on

Edited by Visovics

3 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

Maybe in the newcanon, Star Destroyers are not very good at bombardment - with them wholeheartedly rejecting EU portrayals of them as bombardment ships?

The Mandator-IV has two belly-mounted bombardment cannons:

http://www.starwars.com/news/inside-two-deadly-new-first-order-vehicles-from-the-last-jedi

Only time we see ISDs doing bombardment it's on the aftermath, and it's in a coordinated move of 3 ships, wish we had footage of that canon firing in TLJ to compare :(