Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

New Dreadnaught and Walker Reveal

125 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Visovics said:

Could be. Everything here is speculations, and all we have is 1 trailer and reveals. They wouldn't just give away stuff like that so easily. Even on TFA, the marketing was directed to make believe that Finn would be the force wielder because all campaigning had him with the lightsaber, and then once we watch we discover that it's Rey.

I'm fairly certain we'll discover that Finn and Poe are also Force Sensitive (possibly with Kylo having been the catalyst that "awoken" their dormant powers).  Each of them, like Rey, do some incredible feats well beyond what should be their capabilities or the capabilities of any mortal.  Would also explain why it was called "The Force Awakens."  If it wasn't Kylo, then Luke's "research" probably had something to do with waking them all up.

5 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Snarky associate just looked at my screen, read that line and said, "If you loved it, you should have put a 5 billion dollar ring on it.

Ask snarky associate if he has an aircraft carrier lying around I can have.

1 minute ago, GiledPallaeon said:

Ask snarky associate if he has an aircraft carrier lying around I can have.

"If you can arrange a 5 billion dollar ring, I'll get at least a through-deck cruiser for you."

8 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I'm fairly certain we'll discover that Finn and Poe are also Force Sensitive (possibly with Kylo having been the catalyst that "awoken" their dormant powers).  Each of them, like Rey, do some incredible feats well beyond what should be their capabilities or the capabilities of any mortal.  Would also explain why it was called "The Force Awakens."  If it wasn't Kylo, then Luke's "research" probably had something to do with waking them all up.

Poe absolutely but i think he's just force sensitive, able to channel that into his piloting ability. I have no clue what they're doing with Fen, he almost feels tacked on in the first film but I hope they do something decent with him because i like the actor. I actually really like most of the cast in TFA aside from Ron's angry brother/mini hitler. I EVEN like Kylo and think his temper is pretty standard in the star wars universe for young sith, they're bullies. 

12 minutes ago, GiledPallaeon said:

I understand I'm applying reason to Star Wars, but I hate that. That's not there because it would be reasonable, but because it generates plot tension. If that's not true, it's definitely the way it comes across to me. I hate crap that does that. Much of the EU is guilty of that, but a hilariously large portion of the new AU timeline does this too. LSG isn't building a universe, they're building a franchise on the backs of a universe that let them have that chance, and destroying the universe to do it. Sorry, I love Star Wars dearly, and I know I see the EU with rose-tinted glasses, but it's driving a wedge between me and a dearly beloved universe. Rant over

Well I mean look at the new canon overall, the GCW ends one year after Endor, which I think is more them just going we need to set up for TFA then dealing with the war actually petering out and having the treaty signed for peace. Luke builds a Jedi academy and after one bad students kills them instead of trying to stop said psycho or trying again he just leaves the known galaxy to go be a hermit for years on some world (which was just to remove him from the events of TFA so the audience would care about the new characters). R2 goes dormant after Luke leaves instead of trying to help find him or do anything (again because we needed to introduce new characters without having the old ones take attention away from them) After the GCW and Han and Leia are married (I think they are married) he just goes and leaves to coach star fighter racing and they have an estranged relationship before he ends up going back into smuggling and loses his ship and is effectively a poor smuggler by the time TFA rolls around. Leia never explores her force abilities beyond what we see in ROTJ and is stuck in a relationship where Han is never around and her son is off and gone somewhere with Luke while she works in the Senate until her father is revealed to be Vader and she begins building the Resistance. Wedge is pretty much no where to be seen, which I suspect is due to his actor choosing to show up in TFA for a very short cameo (apparently he is a busy actor in England and only wanted to come back if he could get something to do more than just being a cameo). The New Republic forms and is basically a loose mess that is so ineffectual it is a joke, apparently it was only able to do stuff while Mon Mothma was leading them, and is mostly there to keep the Resistance a small movement like the Rebels to fight against a better equipped power, though for that much I think if part of the political landscape was established in the text crawl it would have helped not make it feel that way, as it is the New Republic was born, did little, and then went boom. Hopefully The Last Jedi tries to touch on the political landscape that is going on in the galaxy since I imagine there would be a whole bunch of issues with losing a central government.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, GiledPallaeon said:

What do I look like, a Russian commander? I said aircraft carrier, not failure.

"You do sound like another Ukrainian Australian I know."  (which would be me)...  "In that light, you could probably take HMAS Canberra or Adelaide off the RANs hands for that price."

Edited by Drasnighta

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Well I mean look at the new canon overall, the GCW ends one year after Endor, which I think is more them just going we need to set up for TFA then dealing with the war actually petering out and having the treaty signed for peace. Luke builds a Jedi academy and after one bad students kills them instead of trying to stop said psycho or trying again he just leaves the known galaxy to go be a hermit for years on some world (which was just to remove him from the events of TFA so the audience would care about the new characters). R2 goes dormant after Luke leaves instead of trying to help find him or do anything (again because we needed to introduce new characters without having the old ones take attention away from them) After the GCW and Han and Leia are married (I think they are married) he just goes and leaves to coach star fighter racing and they have an estranged relationship before he ends up going back into smuggling and loses his ship and is effectively a poor smuggler by the time TFA rolls around. Leia never explores her force abilities beyond what we see in ROTJ and is stuck in a relationship where Han is never around and her son is off and gone somewhere with Luke while she works in the Senate until her father is revealed to be Vader and she begins building the Resistance. Wedge is pretty much no where to be seen, which I suspect is due to his actor choosing to show up in TFA for a very short cameo (apparently he is a busy actor in England and only wanted to come back if he could get something to do more than just being a cameo). The New Republic forms and is basically a loose mess that is so ineffectual it is a joke, apparently it was only able to do stuff while Mon Mothma was leading them, and is mostly there to keep the Resistance a small movement like the Rebels to fight against a better equipped power, though for that much I think if part of the political landscape was established in the text crawl it would have helped not make it feel that way, as it is the New Republic was born, did little, and then went boom. Hopefully The Last Jedi tries to touch on the political landscape that is going on in the galaxy since I imagine there would be a whole bunch of issues with losing a central government.

I sincerely hope you're right. TFA got me all excited that I would get a proxy war plot line for the film, good political machinations and generally a stellar film. Instead I got gorgeous ANNH.

3 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

"You do sound like another Ukrainian Australian I know."  (which would be me)...  "In that light, you could probably take HMAS Canberra or Adelaide off the RANs hands for that price."

I will settle for fully operational Ukrayina. I have experiments, and she can handle them.

Edited by GiledPallaeon
Link

11 minutes ago, GiledPallaeon said:

I sincerely hope you're right. TFA got me all excited that I would get a proxy war plot line for the film, good political machinations and generally a stellar film. Instead I got gorgeous ANNH.

I won't quote everything, but sometimes I feel like the fans would have written much better films than the writers.

One thing that just strike me as odd.

Why classify the new ISD as an Dreadnaught, in the first place?

When HMS Dreadnaught was launched in 1906, it rendered all other capital ships in the world obsolete, by being the most powerfull battleship afloat, its mission profile was to outgun and outshot other warships, in other words it was meant for ship to ship combat.

So when you use the term "Dreadnaught" you think of a vessel meant for ship to ship combat.

Now look at the new ISD, its mission profile is... well to bombard planets, not ship to ship combat.

So it should more be classified as a mobile Siege Weapon or Monitor rather than a Dreadnaught.

Anyway just a stray thought that passed by at light speed :P:P:P

Wait wait wait there are people who hate the resurgent class? Of everything to complain about in TFA I feel like this one is silly.

As for the new ship I like it, I just worry because of its size it's going to be a set piece that replaces what could have been a massive capital ship battle.

I just want to see Resurgent and Starhawks duking it out. 

6 minutes ago, Kiwi Rat said:

One thing that just strike me as odd.

Why classify the new ISD as an Dreadnaught, in the first place?

When HMS Dreadnaught was launched in 1906, it rendered all other capital ships in the world obsolete, by being the most powerfull battleship afloat, its mission profile was to outgun and outshot other warships, in other words it was meant for ship to ship combat.

So when you use the term "Dreadnaught" you think of a vessel meant for ship to ship combat.

Now look at the new ISD, its mission profile is... well to bombard planets, not ship to ship combat.

In Legends, size was a major factor. While unusually undergunned or overgunned ships could move down one category or up one category respectively, the standard borderline between "battlecruiser" and "dreadnought" was 5km - anything over 5 km was a dreadnought by default.

Given that this is a Mandator (IV), and Mandator I-III were Dreadnoughts in Legends - it may be a case of carrying over the size concepts from Legends to Newcanon.

cynanbloodbane likes this

10 minutes ago, Forresto said:

Wait wait wait there are people who hate the resurgent class? Of everything to complain about in TFA I feel like this one is silly.

As for the new ship I like it, I just worry because of its size it's going to be a set piece that replaces what could have been a massive capital ship battle.

I just want to see Resurgent and Starhawks duking it out. 

Here's the thing.

To a lot of people, my highlighted line above applies to the Resurgent being that its already so much bigger than an ISD.  The game itself, in its current format, just won't handle it well at all if its done with any semblance of propriety...

Of course, it could be hamfisted in both scale size and capability, and then its a different story (and quote often bordering on the 'why bother'. then)

36 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Here's the thing.

To a lot of people, my highlighted line above applies to the Resurgent being that its already so much bigger than an ISD.  The game itself, in its current format, just won't handle it well at all if its done with any semblance of propriety...

Of course, it could be hamfisted in both scale size and capability, and then its a different story (and quote often bordering on the 'why bother'. then)

I just don't really understand why "BIGGER!!!" is better. I would KILL for a ship like the interdictor that didn't have so many bells and whistles so it's cost wasn't crazy. a 70ish point ship with 5/4/3 guns, 3/3/2 shields and 8 or 9 hull sounds FANTASTIC. it seems like it would encourage people to play the game trying to line up shots. /shrug, dreams. 

Darth Sanguis likes this

23 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

I just don't really understand why "BIGGER!!!" is better. I would KILL for a ship like the interdictor that didn't have so many bells and whistles so it's cost wasn't crazy. a 70ish point ship with 5/4/3 guns, 3/3/2 shields and 8 or 9 hull sounds FANTASTIC. it seems like it would encourage people to play the game trying to line up shots. /shrug, dreams. 

Bigger means more hull, bigger means you can fit more guns, bigger means better in many occasions!

Darth Sanguis likes this

7 hours ago, Ironlord said:

In Star Wars Rebels, the Empire's logo is even more on the nose, being red, black and white:

REB_IA_5982-1536x864.jpg

I fly that flag on my house once every few months, and Only a fellow Star Wars fan has ever given me $hit about it. ;)

Well, we had talked about how the FO learnt from the Empire's mistakes and fixed the shield generator problem... so they do have them exposed on the dreadnought... They are just too small to be noticed (thanks @Crabbok for pointing it out)

Posted (edited)

Bigger isn't better. According to the only true cannon - the movies....

Death Star 1 destroyed a City, an Imperial Outpost and Alderaan.

Death Star 2 destroyed a couple of capitol ships.

SSD didn't really destroy anything.

The Falcon protected Luke so he could blow up DS1 and the Falcon directly destroyed the DS2. 

Therefore, the Falcon is arguably responsible for more deaths than the DS1, DS2 and SSD combined.

But....

Starkiller base for the 1st order tips the balance in their favour several planets to 1.

FWIW I think the big announcement will be sequel ships.

Edited by Gallanteer

1 hour ago, Gallanteer said:

FWIW I think the big announcement will be sequel ships.

Unfortunately I think you're right.

56 minutes ago, Gallanteer said:

Therefore, the Falcon is arguably responsible for more deaths than the DS1, DS2 and SSD combined.

According to the new canon books.... the destruction of original death star killed anywhere from "nearly a million" to "nearly two million". Presuming the worst case at 2 million people, and the death star 2 being staffed by roughly 2.5 million people at the time of destruction, and adding a generous modifier for possible variations as the DS2's stats are taken from a non-canon source, lets say the falcon killed 6 million with the destruction of both death stars....

How is that more than the destruction of Alderaan which is believed to have been populated by billions?

Megatronrex likes this

20 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

According to the new canon books.... the destruction of original death star killed anywhere from "nearly a million" to "nearly two million". Presuming the worst case at 2 million people, and the death star 2 being staffed by roughly 2.5 million people at the time of destruction, and adding a generous modifier for possible variations as the DS2's stats are taken from a non-canon source, lets say the falcon killed 6 million with the destruction of both death stars....

How is that more than the destruction of Alderaan which is believed to have been populated by billions?

They were Rebels and Traitors. They're deaths don't count.

Darth Sanguis likes this

19 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Alderaan had an approximate population of 2 billion. Death Star I/II/SSD > Millennium Falcon by a factor of almost 1000.

Darth Sanguis likes this