Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

New Dreadnaught and Walker Reveal

91 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, eMeM said:

This is the worst ship design in the history of science fiction.

have you seen the walker design? I think we can put down two bad designs...... and the name of the walker.... wtf LFL... wtf... 

Vontoothskie and Ladrillito like this

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

have you seen the walker design? I think we can put down two bad designs...... and the name of the walker.... wtf LFL... wtf... 

Each new thing they show in the sequels looks worse than the last, even if you believe it's not possible to go deeper into the pile of garbage. I'm considering if it wouldn't be better to experience Episode 8 and 9 in the form of audiobooks.

Edited by eMeM
Velvetelvis, Toimu, ABXY and 4 others like this

Posted (edited)

Not sure what the hate's about.  Looks like a perfectly acceptable Star Destroyer design to me.

That said, yeah, not particularly imaginative.  Another AT-AT and another ISD.  Still, they're more unique than the TIE/fo or the T-70 at least.

I like that they both have extra big guns.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Alright, alright. The new walker is just ridiculous. Just more proof that Episode VIII=Episode V.

But that dreadnought?  I'm excited to see how it looks on the Armada table next to the Finalizer and my complement of Interdictors.

40 minutes ago, eMeM said:

This is the worst ship design in the history of science fiction.

31 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

Somewhere in Disney HQ.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Frodos and Punning Pundit like this

1 hour ago, kris40k said:

Timestamp at 1:05

Edit:

I guess we know what Armada players are getting for X-Mas. Too bad the AT-M6 is too large for Imperial Assault or Legion. I'm sure @Joe Boss Red Seven will find a way.

ThE dReAdNoUgHt LoOkS lIkE pIzZa

ArbitraryNerd likes this

28 minutes ago, Celestial Lizards said:

Alright, alright. The new walker is just ridiculous. Just more proof that Episode VIII=Episode V.

But that dreadnought?  I'm excited to see how it looks on the Armada table next to the Finalizer and my complement of Interdictors.

Which interdictors? The ones imported from ImagiNation?

Celestial Lizards likes this

26 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

well there goes my enthusiasm. if their only ideas are remaking the old things bigger, they need new writers. if this movie is about big walkers fighting sand speeders before rey learns how to be a jedi from an old master in isolation.... i'll just watch Empire Strikes Back

12 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Not sure what the hate's about.  Looks like a perfectly acceptable Star Destroyer design to me.

That said, yeah, not particularly imaginative.  Another AT-AT and another ISD.  Still, they're more unique than the TIE/fo or the T-70 at least.

I like that they both have extra big guns.

8 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

well there goes my enthusiasm. if their only ideas are remaking the old things bigger, they need new writers. if this movie is about big walkers fighting sand speeders before rey learns how to be a jedi from an old master in isolation.... i'll just watch Empire Strikes Back

My problem in picture form.

This took me all of ten minutes to make.

BmSdZFm.png

The most creative thing they can make for me to see in a whole new Star Wars trilogy is another Death Star and a star destroyer with a big gun on it?

With all that Disney money this is the best they could come up with? A big gun?

My nephew could come up with "put a big gun on it", and he didn't go to collage for this or spend his whole life making models for movies.

defkhan1, Toimu, mitrandil and 6 others like this

The walker is a bit silly, but not offensive, and the star destroyer seems logical. Having worked in government, I know first hand whenever a "program" fails, usually the conclusion is that the program failed because it just didn't go "big enough. I think it's very realistic that the first Order would just keep trying to go bigger and bigger.

The Remenents of the empire didn't have much to work with resource wise, so starting with fresh new designs seems unlikely. Also, the empire relied on lots of forced labor, and historically forced labor is not known for technological innovation and creativity.

Toimu, MarekMandalore and OneKelvin like this

The Walker could probably be a mobile artillery piece.

If the original Walker was a heavy tank, this Walker  is a long range mobile howitzer.  

It's made to ravage heavy shielded or armoured fortifications.

The new Dreadnaught is 4 3/4 miles long.  It could be a specialized ship, one suited for planetary or orbital station bombardment.  I'm trying to see if there are hanger bays.

note - the reporter calls the vessel Mandatory IV.  I am certain this is an error, it's most likely designation is Mandator IV, as this is an existing Class of ship.

UnitOmega and defkhan1 like this

9 minutes ago, Stew00m said:

The walker is a bit silly, but not offensive, and the star destroyer seems logical. Having worked in government, I know first hand whenever a "program" fails, usually the conclusion is that the program failed because it just didn't go "big enough. I think it's very realistic that the first Order would just keep trying to go bigger and bigger.

The Remenents of the empire didn't have much to work with resource wise, so starting with fresh new designs seems unlikely. Also, the empire relied on lots of forced labor, and historically forced labor is not known for technological innovation and creativity.

the new star destroyer is 5 miles long and 2 miles wide! the new tie fighter is 40 feet tall! the new a-wing is longer too! bigger winged shuttles! bigger walker! bigger death star! 

for **** sake the even the new emperor Snoke is a giant dude. so absurd

Toimu likes this

23 minutes ago, Stew00m said:

I think it's very realistic that the first Order would just keep trying to go bigger and bigger.

Is that even what they're doing though?

This new Dreadnought is half the length of the Executor.

It's way bigger than a normal Star Destroyer, but if this is their new flagship, it's actually them scaling way back from the previous one.

28 minutes ago, Stew00m said:

I still don't like the rip-off walker, I don't know why you would even use artillery if you have a ship in orbit. The Republic had dedicated artillery walkers, this looks like someone made an AT-AT into a technical by putting a gun in the bay.

1444689797-ali-hassan-al-jaber-brigade.j

The big turret star destroyer is silly, and the firing arc is limited by the ship's own hull. I would have put the turret on the nose or split the nose so you don't have a massive blind spot.

539eb9035a34b8ace05830b024b856ba--star-w

That said, yours is the best explanation for the lack of vision, so you get a like for making this easier to swallow.

Toimu and Punning Pundit like this

2 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

No, no this time we will see Rey learning how to be trained as a jedi by an old master before we see the sand speeders go and take out some imperial walkers. Super original (Tm)

1 hour ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

The Walker could probably be a mobile artillery piece.

If the original Walker was a heavy tank, this Walker  is a long range mobile howitzer.  

It's made to ravage heavy shielded or armoured fortifications.

The new Dreadnaught is 4 3/4 miles long.  It could be a specialized ship, one suited for planetary or orbital station bombardment.  I'm trying to see if there are hanger bays.

note - the reporter calls the vessel Mandatory IV.  I am certain this is an error, it's most likely designation is Mandator IV, as this is an existing Class of ship.

The fact that the AT-M6 is an artillery piece at least makes it a little interesting, though I think the gun on its back would look better if it looked more cannon like than how it does now. The Dreadnaught is said to be focused for orbital bombardment but is it really all that better than a  few ISDs which can slag a planet already fairly well? And as someone pointed out in the Armada forums the barrels on it are so big that a CR90 or a Nuebulon B frigate could fly into them...which I really hope doesn't end up being how it is destroyed. Though I do get the feeling that either during this film or the next one we will find that the Resistance has to race against the clock to destroy or disable those cannons before they can be used on some resistance base or the like. 

1 hour ago, OneKelvin said:

I still don't like the rip-off walker, I don't know why you would even use artillery if you have a ship in orbit. The Republic had dedicated artillery walkers, this looks like someone made an AT-AT into a technical by putting a gun in the bay.

1444689797-ali-hassan-al-jaber-brigade.j

The big turret star destroyer is silly, and the firing arc is limited by the ship's own hull. I would have put the turret on the nose or split the nose so you don't have a massive blind spot.

539eb9035a34b8ace05830b024b856ba--star-w

That said, yours is the best explanation for the lack of vision, so you get a like for making this easier to swallow.

Is it bad that the SWTOR Star Destroyer looks better than any of those made for the sequel trilogy so far? 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, OneKelvin said:

Is that an honest question?

The reason General Veers and the AT-AT's were required to attack the Hoth Base shield generators in Empire is because the planetary shield was raised when they came out of hyperspace early and it was powerful enough to deflect orbital attacks. This has also been demonstrated in Rebels when Thrawn assaulted "Chopper Base" and is a major plot point of both Rogue One and The Force Awakens.

Mobile ground artillery units are a requirement in land war in the Star Wars Universe. Defenses against orbital strikes are a thing. 

Edited by kris40k

17 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Is that an honest question?

The reason General Veers and the AT-AT's were required to attack the Hoth Base shield generators in Empire is because the planetary shield was raised when they came out of hyperspace early and it was powerful enough to deflect orbital attacks. This has also been demonstrated in Rebels when Thrawn assaulted "Chopper Base" and is a major plot point of both Rogue One and The Force Awakens.

Mobile ground artillery units are a requirement in land war in the Star Wars Universe. Defenses against orbital strikes are a thing. 

And that looks to be why the new star destroyer has ridiculously oversized guns on the bottom - the better to put holes in planetary defenses. Using them against capital ships is probably just a bonus.

The dreadnaught bugs me for being flat. This massively increases your artillery blind spots for little appreciable advantage, given it means you essentially can't fire broadsides.

Expect the movie to feature attacks from above and below, where you get maximum firepower for shiny effects (in total contravention of sensible military tactics of avoiding the enemy killing arcs.)

Vontoothskie likes this