Sign in to follow this  
Swusn

New FO ship revealed. TLJ spoilerish?

Just now, xanderf said:

It is, as with everything First Order, breathtakingly stupid looking.  And at the 7700 meters they quote, that would mean the "Ludicrous" guns underneath it are going to be large enough to fly a CR90 down (if not a Nebulon-B)...

7700? You've got to be kidding. Can they stop making these stupidly large ships!

So apparently the two absurdly sized weapons on the underside are designed specifically for planetary bombardment.  As @xanderf noted, the scale means they are easily large enough to fly a smaller warship into. 

So why the heck does the First Order need to build a superweapon into the core of a planet which then needs to consume all the energy of a nearby star when they could just build a dozen of these instead for a fraction of the price and exterminate planetary life nearly anywhere they want?

I...uh...might just be initial reactions but it doesn't look all that great. Maybe it will look better on screen but those giant cannons just kind of make it look really kind of silly, like more so than giant flying triangles. Between that and the gorilla AT-ATs, AT-M6s, I'm really feeling like this is just going to be Episode V remade but not as good. Lets look at the similar beats we have already, person being trained by a jedi, check, Super Star Destroyer, check, air speeders on a snow desert planet taking down imperial walkers. Please let me be wrong about this but if we just get another remake with a new slap of paint on it that will not make me look forward to Episode 9. Though...then again instead of Ewoks maybe this time we will get the muppets or Gonzo's race helping out, hey Disney owns both so it could happen. 

Eurgh... more silly sticky out turrets, more random holes and so on. The canons don't sound too terrible if they have a specific function for mass destruction, but you can't help but wonder why they need something so big and how they're funding this.

Still, smaller than the Executor, I guess. So I guess it isn't too crazy in size if we think of it as a scaled-down First Order Executor rather than a normal First Order Star Destroyer.

19 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

Eurgh... more silly sticky out turrets, more random holes and so on. The canons don't sound too terrible if they have a specific function for mass destruction, but you can't help but wonder why they need something so big and how they're funding this.

Still, smaller than the Executor, I guess. So I guess it isn't too crazy in size if we think of it as a scaled-down First Order Executor rather than a normal First Order Star Destroyer.

Also, would fit better as an epic ship than the executor.

Ya know, if they're actually doing epic.

1 hour ago, xanderf said:

It is, as with everything First Order, breathtakingly stupid looking.  And at the 7700 meters they quote, that would mean the "Ludicrous" guns underneath it are going to be large enough to fly a CR90 down (if not a Nebulon-B)...

Not to mention the continual 'its bigger therefore awesome' trope of star wars. 

54 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

I'd kill for the star wars movies to stop making "Super Weapons" and start focusing more on story. 

but then it would hardly be star wars, now would it? 

Edited by Darthain

11 minutes ago, ianediger said:

Also, would fit better as an epic ship than the executor.

I think the Finalizer would make quite a good epic ship; it's only double the length of an ISD...

Provided the Resistance has an equivalent, of course.

I don't see much problem with it, the FO makes bigger and more powerful ships because they need stuff to last, they need to heavily invest all they have into it. Thus bigger ships (for more resistance to attacks) and if you notice on the finalizer, that area with empty is perfect as a buffer zone to resist heavy bombing runs as turret's can't see there. The reason behind making Starkiller base and not a dozen of those is simple: the ships will need to be there, and can be fought off by the New Republic fleet and their new huge ships (forgot the name) while the super laser can take out the entire system using hyperspace technology on the weapon and so from a very safe distance. 5 times the size of an ISD is a bit absurd tho, gotta be honest