Sign in to follow this  
tsuruki

Last 3 episodes of Dunwich campaign, easy? (Spoiler free)

Just a simple question, I just finished the Undimensioned & Unseen pack and Where doom awaits and was a little underwhelmed. 

Granted I was playing Standard but still, I've had enough trouble so far to have taken some negative effects in the form of negative tokens and trauma. I've beaten a few scenarios with perfect results so far though, is it possible that I'm simply snowballing through this campaign then? Is snowballing a thing in this game?

To put this in perspective, I finished Where doom awaits in the 8th round of play.

Edited by tsuruki

Depends in if you get lucky or not. Finishing WDA in 8 turns seems really fast. Did you read the main path cards correctly? They're limit once per round, and are an Investigate action, not a reaction. So you can only take 1 shot per turn at a regular Investigate check (i.e. no Rite of Seeking, no Duke, no Flashlight...), and if you succeed, then you get to spawn a location.

U&U shouldn't be easy, either. Were you only damaging the Broods with the Esoteric Formula?

8 hours ago, Network57 said:

Depends in if you get lucky or not. Finishing WDA in 8 turns seems really fast. Did you read the main path cards correctly? They're limit once per round, and are an Investigate action, not a reaction. So you can only take 1 shot per turn at a regular Investigate check (i.e. no Rite of Seeking, no Duke, no Flashlight...), and if you succeed, then you get to spawn a location.

U&U shouldn't be easy, either. Were you only damaging the Broods with the Esoteric Formula?

Well, UU can be pretty easy if you eat it on Blood on the Altar, but I agree. My first guess from the OP is some rules and interactions were missed.

Man!  Undimensioned and Unseen ate our lunch money.

Got ridiculously lucky on the placement of the story items, so I entered UU at max hurt.  What killed though, was that our characters (Jenny, "Ashcan," and Daisy) and their decks were not built to handle the increased skill test.  Then, all 4 copies of Tower Beast came into play at quick succession.  We had 2 baddies roaming in a pack and they were virtually un-killable.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:11 AM, tsuruki said:

Just a simple question, I just finished the Undimensioned & Unseen pack and Where doom awaits and was a little underwhelmed. 

Granted I was playing Standard but still, I've had enough trouble so far to have taken some negative effects in the form of negative tokens and trauma. I've beaten a few scenarios with perfect results so far though, is it possible that I'm simply snowballing through this campaign then? Is snowballing a thing in this game?

To put this in perspective, I finished Where doom awaits in the 8th round of play.

If you are running Rex on Standard with Higher Education, I imagine everything is pretty easy. A lot of player house rule Rex or ban Higher Education because it unbalanced the game.

But do note the wording on The "Base of the Path" and "Ascending Path" cards. You have to trigger the ability on the card itself and use that to investigate (rather than flashlights, Rite of Seeking, or Duke) in order to open a new location. And each investigator can only try it once per round, regardless of whether you succeed or not.

If you are trying to play without seekers, it can be a real bear.

Yeah we had Rex and Zoey, he slaughtered the clue game and I lightning gunned every threat we came across, sept the Unseen enemies who we were able to manage and kill with relative efficiency. I will say that Hard is a much more fun play experience if you like a challenging play experience.

I also greatly enjoy the huge differences in solo, duo and trio gameplay.

Also we did our second play of Where doom awaits and it was dramatically different. I guess being well read (Wink wink) really mattered the first time around.

I don't see how higher education unbalances the game. You have to both have the resources to spend and have more than 5 cards in your hand, meaning you can't be playing too many cards. It can be extremely powerful combined with other cards, but card synergy as you spend XP is kind of the point.

30 minutes ago, mwmcintyre said:

I don't see how higher education unbalances the game. You have to both have the resources to spend and have more than 5 cards in your hand, meaning you can't be playing too many cards. It can be extremely powerful combined with other cards, but card synergy as you spend XP is kind of the point.

Higher Education is not broken. Rex is not broken. Higher Education with Rex is broken.

Because with Milan he effectively has 7 intellect for each investigation and van easily win by 2. With no limits he can win scenarios in half the time it would take a whole team.

My playgroup breezed through just by having 2 investigators bodyguard him at all times.

Combined with Scavenging he can get out of hand by recurring items like Amulet and Vest.

On 8/23/2017 at 0:38 PM, Network57 said:

And keep in mind, that means no Vicious Blow, no Zoey's Cross, etc.  The damage can only be what comes from Esoteric Formula.  I think the only way to get more than one hit at a time on them is with Double or Nothing.

(Mind Wipe notwithstanding)

Edited by CSerpent
another way to kill