Kelvan

Scum and Villainy 57: Don’t Worry Be Happy

Kelvan, Blair, Sozin, and Starslinger try to lower their sodium intake for at least one episode and discuss some of their favorite alternatives to the 100/6 format that dominates the competitive scene. This list of alternatives is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!

https://www.teamcovenant.com/podcast/scum-and-villainy/scum-villainy-57-dont-worry-happy

Direct Download

We're recording our Gen Con Reaction tomorrow and hopefully we will have it up a bit quicker. Also GUNBOAT HYPE!!!!!!!!!

The Contest for this episode is your best original alternative format. We will try to do something to allow you to support/play that format. 

NOTE: Sorry not sorry for the format of the notes I pulled for the xwing variant types. I am not going line by line to fix these. I'm a drunken pirate lord not some sort of Bureaucrat. 

100/6 variants

Format Source Format Description, Links, Notes, etc
House Rules anyone!

Anyone can homebrew xwing and many of the alternate formats are based on this premise.

Obligatory Teaser for community edition

Dual List/Simultaneous Reveal Theorist, various Vassal tournaments Players bring two lists
Hanger Bay FFG

Standard 100pt format. Same obstacles used between both squads

2 squads must be different factions. So your uniqueness rules shouldn't come into play at all

You didn't need to both factions. It was your choice each match

Note that this was first done in by Theorist! See below

77-Plus FFG

Used in the Coruscant Invitational

“Each player in the Coruscant Invitational will bring 77 points of a squad for each faction, in honor of the 1977 theatrical release of Star Wars.

At the Coruscant Invitational, players will then draft mini-squads to complete their squads. Various members of the X-Wing community and Fantasy Flight Games staff have been selected as mini-squad creators. They will compose mini-squads, worth 23 to 28 points, using a specific ship from each faction. To ensure squad legality, when choosing their pilots and upgrades, no unique cards can be used in these mini-squads!

Most exciting of all, one of the mini-squad creators could be you! We have left the mini-squads for the B-Wing, the TIE Advanced and the Scum Y-Wing to be created and voted on by the community! See our first voting article for more details on how you can see your mini-squad in the hands of an Open Champion.”

TODO

Get the different generic ships used in the 2016 and 2017 Invitationals

Ship in a bag

Alaska Meta

(Brian Lindamood)

Basically you create a squad with a point limit between 70-75 points.  When you sign up, you get a (new) “ship in a bag”...blind...last time we did wave 11...you have to then complete your 100-point list with that ship.  More info here:
Pods Campaign Against Cancer

https://twinsunscharities.org/

From the site

“The Campaign Against Cancer is a competitive tournament played in a "pod format." After registration, players will be divided into groups of 8 players each (as evently as possible) and this wil form a pod. The players within each pod will play 3 rounds of swiss play against only those other players assigned to his or her pod. Once round three is complete, all players will break for a lunch and at that time, the software will reorganize the pods. Upon returning for lunch, players will be assigned to a new pod with peers that performed similarly to him before the lunch break. These new pods will be Division A, Division B, Division C, etc. Players will then play 3 more rounds of swiss within their pod. The winner of Division A will be the tournament champion, but the winners of Divisions B, C, D etc will also receive prizes for winning their divisions.”

Teams European Teams, Evergreen Cup, that NOVA Thing, OutRyder Cup
Shuttle T’s Narrative Format Shuttle T (heychadwick, gencon 2017)

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/250582-gencon-x-wing-narrative-event-unique-event/

Mission Pack pdf

“All uniques are…..unique!  There will only be one of every named pilot, crew, or other upgrade in the game.  We will have a draft system set up to determine who gets each unique card.  If that unique pilot/upgrade gets shot down, THEY ARE DEAD FOR THE REST OF THE EVENT!  This makes it interesting that you can lose the match, but take down their prize pilot.   Also, if a generic lives through 2 missions, he can be upgrade to a named pilot!  Just…not one already claimed by someone else (or dead).  

The event will be four rounds of unique and rigorously play tested missions.  There will be two missions per round and you don’t know which mission you will get ahead of time.  Victory points you win will go towards your team to help decide who wins the overall event, so even if you are in last place, it’s worth it to stick around to try to help the team.  Victory points also go towards your overall standing”

“Golden Age”: Wave 1-3 ? People have done wave 1-3 tournaments only, need link
Pilot drafting GSP, Us

GSP Facebook post with the rules

S&V Invitational

Pilot Auction NEVER BEEN DONE KELVAN Kelvan really wants to do this, so I’ll let him talk about it, but basically you auction off pilots until non are left
Bring a Ban Fort Wayne crew each player can ban a single card in advance of the tournament
“Balance of the Force” Don’t remember :’( Only lists of exactly 3 ships: 1 for each faction. A ship can’t equip a card that’s out-of-faction to but anything else is allowed.
Random Don’t remember :’( Use Fab squadron http://x-wing.fabpsb.net/ to generate absolutely random and totally unpredictable lists. The goal is to have fun with sub-par or even silly lists, not have an even field ^^. Should probably use a “mulligan” rule so you could re-draw in case something is really REALLY too weird or unplayable. (But things like Guidance Chips on TIE Strikers should be encouraged ^^)
Chatterton Don’t remember :’( The damage deck is replaced by a deck built with upgrade cards (no more than 2 of the same card). So there is “list building” and “deck building” combined, which is fun. Taking 1 damage = take 1 card face up. Taking 1 crit = take 1 card face down. Shields prevent crits so it’s always 1 card face up. One-time use cards are not discarded but flipped. Some adjustment have to be considered for rules, like the fact that a reference to a “face up card” in this mode has to be considered “face down”, and vice-versa (you get the idea: in this mode face up = good, face down = bad). The timing of games should be extended by 15 mins at least (there is much more information to take into account, especially in the mid game).
CCL (Custom Card League) Babaganoosh Introduce new ships / pilots / cards and play “i’m a developer now, so let’s test these out and see how difficult it is to make an entertaining AND balanced game”. Several threads dedicated on the FFG forums so i’ll just post this one and you’ll find the rest: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/219996-custom-card-league-submit-your-entries-now/
Troll Wing Suzu (One of my best friends who is totally unknown online (i guess)) Every player brings a list, with normal restrictions (100/6, etc.) BUT each match players switch lists (= you give your opponent your crazy list and you play with your opponent’s even crazier list).

pirate rules / faction mixing tournament - hothie -

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/86085-the-hothies-ugly-tournament/

<100/6, > 100/6

Epic FFG

Its really effing fun! DO IT!

Edge of Dreams excellent Epic Summary Article on TC

Escalation FFG

Escalation tournament rules

1:60, 2:90, 3:120, 4:150

League Play with Alternate Formats / Incentives Leagues everywhere

Kelvan recently flew 3 Z’s over a rock in league night to get a kill and loved it

sozin: in my league we’ve had 120 point month, epic month, generic only month, and female crew card month. GSP awards prizes for folks that can do things like kill more than 2 ships with a bomb, deal more than 6 damage on a single attack, kill a fully tokened and cloaked soontir through an asteroid, etc

Vassal League Me and Kyle Sozin: I’ll just yammer on about it.
Furball Mike Mitchell, BGG, May 2014

Master reddit thread

One ship only! Small: <= 40 points, Medium: <= 50 points, Large: <= 65 points

King of the Hill Herowanabbe (FFG forums)

Rules link

it's similar to a furball except you get points for being close to the "Hill" at the end of each round. When you kill someone you steal a point from them and they re spawn next round. Play for a fixed amount of time and whoever has the most points at the end wins.  

Hunger Games That nova dude?

Need link and a concise summary of this beast

From BGG

The GOAL is to be the last man standing – no points for second place!

Your OPPONENTS will be everyone else on the table.

OBSTACLES will be put forth by the game maker during the battle.

REWARDS can help you offensively and defensively.

ALLIANCES are encouraged. Talk to your friends before the game starts and work together to defeat your enemies. Just remember that at some point, your ally WILL turn on you. How well do you really trust him/her?

FRIENDLY SHIPS - Since you can create alliances, you can also choose who is a friendly ship. This means you can use abilities that will help other players.

Each player will get 21 points to spend on 1 Non-Unique Small Ship Pilot (as shown in the table below). Large Ships and upgrade cards are not allowed.

In the cornucopia (in the center of the map), you will have a chance to gain some really great upgrades to help you defeat your opponents. However, entering the cornucopia may mean placing yourself in a bad position. Are the upgrades worth the risk?

EPIC over multiple maps/teams NOVA Open NOVA did this awesome multi-table affair a couple of years ago. NOVA Podcast covered it in Episode 25.

Narrative/Campaign Based

Missions/Epic Campaigns FFG Here’s all the missions (X-Wing Wikia)
Galactic Civil War Rekkon

Rekkon’s Thread.

GCW is a campaign system patterned after Babylon 5 A Call to Arms.  Heavy emphasis is placed on the strategic aspects, and there is a lot of obsessive detail.  The presentation is not slick, and it may be too involved for most players, but those of comparable crazy-level may find it enjoyable.”

HOTAC Josh Derksen, in Toronto

Link

a fully co-operative, 15-mission campaign for X-wing by Josh Derksen.

Up to 6 Rebel Players, each with their own ship, act as a squadron and battle against an AI-controlled Empire.  Download the updated v0.7 components below:

Totally Different

Format Source Format Description, Links, Notes, etci
Fleet Style Brian Lindamood

Basically the idea is that if you have a four round tournament (swiss), you create a 500-point list.  Each round, before pairings are announced, you create a 100-point list from the 500-point list.  The deal is, that anything you lose, is gone for the day (named pilots, titles, unique crew, etc).  So, you may show up with Corran Horn, some other useless E-wings, a fleet of Rookie pilots, Han Solo with Rey crew, etc.  Realistically, you could have 10 Z-95’s on your list, but only bring 6...not like you are going to lose them all at once.  First round, you win, but lose Corran.  Next round, you make a new list, but Coran is gone for the day.  Kinda like a campaign, kinda like a 100/6, but potentially a lot of work for the TO.  I like it because it introduces not only list building on the fly, but resource management...suddenly your aces are more valuable to preserve.  Wanna run a tie swarm?  Maybe they are not as expendable if you are going to make it 4 rounds.  Winning the first two games may be easy unless you burn up all of your aces.

I have not tried running this tournament style yet, but I hope to by year’s end as soon as i get some of the development more refined.

X-Wing Mario Kart  

Full rules link in Reddit

Lay out a course on one or two playmats. Set a point limit (usually around 35 points), players bring a single ship and race around the board, collecting “power ups” which can either be random upgrade cards or fun things like Blue Shell (player in first is immediately ionized), if a player dies they respawn at the last checkpoint passed.

Integration with a RPG Ricky is doing this now with the SW : RPG  

Limited Build It Live Windy City Squadron Dom played in a tournament where there was an envelope for each player with a different set of pilots totalling about 200 pts base.  The pilots were bteam guys like krassis... Then you had 30 minutes or so to build a 120 pt squad from your envelope and compete

Lincoln Hey was our Anti-Fairship Rebel winner:

FSR Winner (100)

"Double Edge" — TIE Aggressor 19
Ruthlessness 3
Twin Laser Turret 6
Lightweight Frame 2
Ship Total: 30
Captain Yorr — Lambda-Class Shuttle 24
Collision Detector 0
Tractor Beam 1
General Hux 5
Ship Total: 30
"Omega Leader" — TIE/fo Fighter 21
Juke 2
Comm Relay 3
Ship Total: 26
"Wampa" — TIE Fighter 14
Ship Total: 14

Travis Gardner was the ONLY PERSON TO SUBMIT A LIST for Mindfield Mapper and he wins by default! But to be fair his list was really sweet.

Miranda: Twin Laser Turret (6), Extra Munitions (2), Seismic Torpedo (2), Homing Missiles (5), Sabine Wren (2), Bomblet Generator (3), Cluster Mines (4), Advanced SLAM (2)

Captain Nym (45) - Scurrg H-6 Bomber

Veteran Instincts (1), Autoblaster Turret (2), Extra Munitions (2), Cruise Missiles (3), Ion Bombs (2), Proton Bombs (5), Havoc (0), Long-Range Scanners (0), Minefield Mapper (0), "Genius" (0)

Thank you to our Patreons:

Andrew Cravens

Brian Lindamood

Campaigned

Matthew Williams

Gregory Nussbaum

Guido Kessels

Hasan Khan

John Gallagher

Julian Herman

Logan

Matt “The Mighty” Nute

Matt Siebert

Seth Dunlap

Steve Harvey

and The Zack Mathews

9 minutes ago, MajorJuggler said:

I have not handed out any bounties from getting 100-0'ed!

... but I also play about 1/3 the number of games as Blair, if even that much...

Blair not getting tabled with the lists he flies and the amount of tournaments he goes to is honestly extraordinary.

@sozin @Kelvan @MajorJuggler @blairbunke

I just sent an email for you guys. But thought some other posters may like to see it here in the thread. A buddy started this last year and this year I've been helping him run it again since he and his wife just had a baby.

Anyways, at each different stop on the tour there is a different obstacle ruleset that takes you to a "different place in the galaxy". First stop you're in the debris fields of Jakku, another stop you're entering in the Nal Hutta Star Fighter Competition, and the last stop you are at the Alderaan Graveyard. It is a lot of fun and the most fun is trying to come up with different lists that work best in each format. For instance, Dash may seem great in some, but he didn't even place in the Top 3 at any of the tournaments last year. 

Here is all of the different rulesets and a couple pictures from last year. Feel free to check out the website and Facebook page too. 

I didn't win Deep Core! I came in 2nd, same record, but lost on MoV. Ryan Flemming beat me out, although I did won our head to head which kept him on his feet the entire time.

The previous season I won my division and had the best record / MoV in the entire league, but that was in Core, not Deep Core.

Edited by MajorJuggler

1 hour ago, Tbetts94 said:

@sozin @Kelvan @MajorJuggler @blairbunke

I just sent an email for you guys. But thought some other posters may like to see it here in the thread. A buddy started this last year and this year I've been helping him run it again since he and his wife just had a baby.

Anyways, at each different stop on the tour there is a different obstacle ruleset that takes you to a "different place in the galaxy". First stop you're in the debris fields of Jakku, another stop you're entering in the Nal Hutta Star Fighter Competition, and the last stop you are at the Alderaan Graveyard. It is a lot of fun and the most fun is trying to come up with different lists that work best in each format. For instance, Dash may seem great in some, but he didn't even place in the Top 3 at any of the tournaments last year. 

Here is all of the different rulesets and a couple pictures from last year. Feel free to check out the website and Facebook page too. 

I saw this email and frankly this is amazing!

So the auction style.....What are the rules as far as bidding?  Does all bidding start at the normal squad points?

What happens when all but one person spends all their money and then buys all ships remaining for $1 and ends up with 300 points worth of ships?

Haven't listened yet, but from the notes (and the fact I've never seen it done) I don't think it was mentioned, but I've always wanted to do a sort of reverse team draft. It would be similar to the S&V invitational, except you draft pilots for the opposing team to use. Right before you get to the point where teams would be drafting proven top level pilots/ships, there is a cut off (because otherwise those would be the only pilots used and it would essentially have been pointless to draft this way from the start).

The idea behind this is it essentially bans the things you always see regularly in competitive play, because no one is going to pick those pilots to play against. Instead, you will get to use a lot of lesser known/seen pilots and put them on the table.

In the perfect world, there would be some type of valuable prize to assure teams put their best effort into building quality lists instead of just throwing together random wacky, just for fun squads (although there is value in that too I suppose).

Example-

Team A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H are each composed of 3 players. Each player will play 7 games- 1 against a player from each other team. There is one back up player for each team, but they must use the same squad as the player they are replacing would use. 

As the draft begins, the TO states the order of faction selection and how many rounds of selections will be made from each faction. In this example, let's say Imperials were being selected first.

Each round of the draft, teams pick which pilot they believe is the worst pilot available for that faction.  At the end of the round, the TO randomly assigns one of the pilots selected in the round to a team which did not select the pilot (alternatively, you can allow the pilot to be randomly assigned to the team that selected it for ultimate laughs). Random assignment basically ensures teams do not gang up on a specific team or "team up" with another team that may be picking for them to break the system.

An example of a round of selections-

Team A selects Fels Wrath.

Team B selects Major Rhymer

Team C selects Scimitar squadron Pilot

Team D selects Obsidian sq pilot

Team E selects "Winged Gundark" (good pick!)

Team F selects "Youngster"

Team G selects Redline

Team H selects Sienar Test Pilot

At the end of the round, the TO randomly assigns...

Sienar Test pilot to team A

Redline to team B

Winged Gundark to team C

Fels Wrath to team D

Youngster to team E

obsidian sq pilot to team F

Major Rhymer to team G

scimitar sq pilot to team H

The process is repeated through a set number of rounds, and then repeated for each faction.

Once selections are complete, teams create 3 lists from their pool of pilots, 1 from each faction. These lists must be used by that player for the entirety of the tournament (or, alternatively, allow players to use their selection of pilots however they wish each round, as long as they follow basic listbuilding restrictions). 

Winning team is the team with best overall record with highest individual player record as tie breaker.

19 minutes ago, ramy said:

So the auction style.....What are the rules as far as bidding?  Does all bidding start at the normal squad points?

What happens when all but one person spends all their money and then buys all ships remaining for $1 and ends up with 300 points worth of ships?

We, uh,  ever came up with formal rules. Or if we did, @Kelvan forgot them in a berserker glitterstim binge. 

8 minutes ago, sozin said:

We, uh,  ever came up with formal rules. Or if we did, @Kelvan forgot them in a berserker glitterstim binge. 

I can do this!

So if its team instead of Draft you would need rules that force you to keep dollars to reasonably fill out enough ships for your list (AKA you have to draft at least 15 ships or something, making this up as I go...) which would force you to leave at least a dollar for all of those picks. From there its just pure auction.

Now I want to run this with the free time I already don't have.

17 hours ago, Kdubb said:

Haven't listened yet, but from the notes (and the fact I've never seen it done) I don't think it was mentioned, but I've always wanted to do a sort of reverse team draft. It would be similar to the S&V invitational, except you draft pilots for the opposing team to use. Right before you get to the point where teams would be drafting proven top level pilots/ships, there is a cut off (because otherwise those would be the only pilots used and it would essentially have been pointless to draft this way from the start).

The idea behind this is it essentially bans the things you always see regularly in competitive play, because no one is going to pick those pilots to play against. Instead, you will get to use a lot of lesser known/seen pilots and put them on the table.

In the perfect world, there would be some type of valuable prize to assure teams put their best effort into building quality lists instead of just throwing together random wacky, just for fun squads (although there is value in that too I suppose).

Example-

Team A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H are each composed of 3 players. Each player will play 7 games- 1 against a player from each other team. There is one back up player for each team, but they must use the same squad as the player they are replacing would use. 

As the draft begins, the TO states the order of faction selection and how many rounds of selections will be made from each faction. In this example, let's say Imperials were being selected first.

Each round of the draft, teams pick which pilot they believe is the worst pilot available for that faction.  At the end of the round, the TO randomly assigns one of the pilots selected in the round to a team which did not select the pilot (alternatively, you can allow the pilot to be randomly assigned to the team that selected it for ultimate laughs). Random assignment basically ensures teams do not gang up on a specific team or "team up" with another team that may be picking for them to break the system.

An example of a round of selections-

Team A selects Fels Wrath.

Team B selects Major Rhymer

Team C selects Scimitar squadron Pilot

Team D selects Obsidian sq pilot

Team E selects "Winged Gundark" (good pick!)

Team F selects "Youngster"

Team G selects Redline

Team H selects Sienar Test Pilot

At the end of the round, the TO randomly assigns...

Sienar Test pilot to team A

Redline to team B

Winged Gundark to team C

Fels Wrath to team D

Youngster to team E

obsidian sq pilot to team F

Major Rhymer to team G

scimitar sq pilot to team H

The process is repeated through a set number of rounds, and then repeated for each faction.

Once selections are complete, teams create 3 lists from their pool of pilots, 1 from each faction. These lists must be used by that player for the entirety of the tournament (or, alternatively, allow players to use their selection of pilots however they wish each round, as long as they follow basic listbuilding restrictions). 

Winning team is the team with best overall record with highest individual player record as tie breaker.

@Kdubb tha God! Do me a solid and select all on that post and hit ctrl C and then ctrl V in your email and send that to scumandvillainypodcast@gmail.com. I love this.

Just a comment of the FSR buster list they sent in. You would be better off setting FanDev on Capt Yorr instead of Double Edge, to make the tractor beam unavoidable on any focus result to near guarantee breaking up the formation on PS 4 allowing Double Edge and Wampa to take shots afterwards at the debuffed and out of protection target. Biggs, Lowhhrick, Selflessness, DTF, Jess; just a huge chunk of that list shuts down if you can get that hit from the tractor beam and roll them far enough. 

Edited by kris40k

15 hours ago, kris40k said:

Just a comment of the FSR buster list they sent in. You would be better off setting FanDev on Capt Yorr instead of Double Edge, to make the tractor beam unavoidable on any focus result to near guarantee breaking up the formation on PS 4 allowing Double Edge and Wampa to take shots afterwards at the debuffed and out of protection target. Biggs, Lowhhrick, Selflessness, DTF, Jess; just a huge chunk of that list shuts down if you can get that hit from the tractor beam and roll them far enough. 

Excellent advice! 

On 8/24/2017 at 5:08 AM, Kelvan said:

@Kdubb tha God! Do me a solid and select all on that post and hit ctrl C and then ctrl V in your email and send that to scumandvillainypodcast@gmail.com. I love this.

Been trying to refine the idea a bit more before I send it out. Hopefully I can make the time.

I did go through the meta analyzer and I found that each faction had approximately 12 pilots which I would consider "meta" ships, so the cut off for the faction drafts would need to stop when at least 12 pilots were left on the board. And I didn't just count hyper efficient pilots like Dengar, Miranda or Nym as meta ships. Even some less seen staples like Norra or IG B get in there pretty comfortably.

While a total of 12 pilots from each faction (for a total of 36 approximately) may sound like a lot, let this sink in for a second- There are 16 Tie Fighter pilots in this game. That means there are more Tie Fighters in the game than there are competitive ships for your faction of choice.

The irony? Only one of those Tie Fighters is considered competitive by my measurement.

And he's a rebel Tie Fighter.

My measurement was by no means scientific, so I would love for anyone else to give a run through each faction and give me your thoughts on how many pilots compose a factions "meta pool", we will call it.

@sozin, @MajorJuggler, does 12 sound about right for the number of competitive pilot choices for a faction currently?

4 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

@sozin, @MajorJuggler, does 12 sound about right for the number of competitive pilot choices for a faction currently?

That probably sounds about right, although I haven't looked at the tournament data in excruciating detail since wave 11 launched.

That number is narrower than even the 'Pareto Rule', which would say that 20% of the pilots should represent 80% of those used.