Sign in to follow this  
power500500

Lucasfilm has officially revealed how many troops were in a legion. The answer is...

First off I want to say that I am not one of those people that complained about the size or scale of Legion. I am perfectly fine where it sits as is, but I did find it humorous that Lucasfilm defined a legion in the Star Wars universe so close to when Legion was announced (about a month off). Anyway, the Super Graphic book (which I recommend to any other Star Wars junkies) defines a legion of Stormtroopers as 12,800 soldiers strong. A far cry from our Legion I would say. Perhaps you can justify the game as being a small portion of a bigger battle? I know this thread is going to bring out the worst of the worst but again I didn't post this to complain just to point out facts. P.S. Gotta love that clickbait

Edited by power500500

An actual legion obviously wont happen but you bet people will do "40k apocalypse" sized games eventually.

That is, the livingroom is the battlefield (15ftby10ft typically). I've done that a couple of times in 40k and theyre insane and its amusing how transports become so important.

Why do people get so uptight about the name?

Even at 6mm you wouldn't be able to field a Legion of Stormtroopers.

Most wargamers know that  6mm is for Battalion/regiment size battles, 15mm is for Company sized, and 28+ is Platoon sized...  No one who looks at the box and buys it is going to expect to field 12,800 Stormtroopers (Plus could you imagine painting that many? :blink: )

They called it Star WArs Legion because it's a good name and sounds better than Star Wars Platoon.  

I have a question though... I know a lot of people wanted a SW game in the 6mm  or 1/270th scale size.  But did FFG actually ever say anything that really pointed at that?  Legion doesn't surprise, me but I had no idea that FFG was working on another SW game.

Star Wars is a story about heroes, so demands a heroic scale. The lowest possible scale for individually based heroes would have been 15 mm. At 6mm you can't tell Darth Vader from Boba Fett.

28 minutes ago, Extropia said:

No, FFG never so much as hinted at a differently scaled game as far as I know.

K, because I see people talking about FFG doing a epic battle game, and assuming that meant 15mm or smaller.  Which would be somewhat fair... When I hear epic battle I don't think of 28+mm scale.

8 minutes ago, Rumar said:

Star Wars is a story about heroes, so demands a heroic scale. The lowest possible scale for individually based heroes would have been 15 mm. At 6mm you can't tell Darth Vader from Boba Fett.

Of course you can, one is a small blob of black paint and the other is a small blob of green paint. :P

3 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

K, because I see people talking about FFG doing a epic battle game, and assuming that meant 15mm or smaller.  Which would be somewhat fair... When I hear epic battle I don't think of 28+mm scale.

Unless someone can prove otherwise, I'm putting that under "assumptions and wishful thinking" on the part of "people".

4 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

Not uncommon for 40k players to play on a massive battlefield, sometimes just using the entire living room floor.

Play on a 6x6ft table and field like 3000pts of stuff. Its not meant to play the same way, its just meant to be chaos lol

5 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Not uncommon for 40k players to play on a massive battlefield, sometimes just using the entire living room floor.

Sure I've seen Apoc games before.  But that's not the standard game type for 28mm or larger. :)  Although that's the reason why I got into Bolt Action and not Black Powder... Was going to build a British Colonial army, but when I realized that meant I needed around 250 28mm models, and then had to Paint 250+ models... :blink:

23 minutes ago, Rumar said:

Agree!
At 15mm we could have had AT-ATs :(

I still think we can have AT-ATs here. FFG uses a sliding scale for X-Wing ships, why not for an AT-AT? Have it be a foot long or so and restricted to epic play, which could be on a larger play area. FFG has already hinted at an epic ruleset for 1500 pt armies, compared to the standard 800 pt. 

I don't find it likely, but I wouldn't completely rule it out right now either.

3 minutes ago, shivore said:

which could be on a larger play area.

Actually it can't be on a much bigger one, it's already 6x3 and 8x4 is about the biggest table you can really manage to play on.  After that you're talking about playing on the floor.

3 minutes ago, shivore said:

FFG has already hinted at an epic ruleset for 1500 pt armies, compared to the standard 800 pt. 

When did they hint at that?  Because I didn't catch that in the videos I've seen.

7 minutes ago, shivore said:

I still think we can have AT-ATs here. FFG uses a sliding scale for X-Wing ships, why not for an AT-AT? Have it be a foot long or so and restricted to epic play, which could be on a larger play area. FFG has already hinted at an epic ruleset for 1500 pt armies, compared to the standard 800 pt. 

I don't find it likely, but I wouldn't completely rule it out right now either.

I'm pretty sure every X-Wing ship is in the proper scale.  If not, this is a very recent change.  Even the big ships were 1/270 last I checked.

1 minute ago, rowdyoctopus said:

Even the big ships were 1/270 last I checked.

Epic ships use a sliding scale.  The CR-90, Raider, and GR-75 are not 1/270 scale.  The Gonz actually is 1/270 scale as is the Ghost.

2 minutes ago, VictoryLeo said:

Definition of legion

1. 1:  the principal unit of the Roman army comprising 3000 to 6000 foot soldiers with cavalry 

2. 2:  a large military force; especially :  army 

3. 3:  a very large number :  multitude

4. 4:  a national association of ex-servicemen 

That's a real world legion. This discussion is about an Imperial legion in a fantasy sci-fi universe.

7 minutes ago, Swusn said:

That's a real world legion. This discussion is about an Imperial legion in a fantasy sci-fi universe.

I was just pointing out I don't think FFG was speaking specifically into the Emperor's "legion of best troops" in the name.

Though it would be cool to see.