Big Tom Casual

Carcosa Gencon Reactions?

7 posts in this topic

No one who picked up the new material has anything to share? You've all had your minds broken and are drooling in the corner trying to will yourself back into your body so you can warn the rest of us to stay away?

CEOWolf likes this

I haven't dug into the Carcosa scenarios yet, but I have messed around with Lola and Akachi decks vs. older scenarios. Here are the notes for an Akachi deck I will publish on Arkhamdb once the Carcosa box goes "live."

This is designed for multiplayer games. In solo, I would suggest including Scrying in the early campaign for reasons described below.

I picked up Akachi at GenCon and have tried her a few times now against the core scenarios. I've found that under the current card pool, her role changes significantly throughout a campaign- going from a strong investigator to a decent combat character.

With Shrivelling as the only current attack spell, Akachi is reliant on that to engage in any combat beyond fighting rats. Even with 2x Arcane Initiates and 2x Shrivelling in the deck, I often found it difficult to have Shrivelling on the board at the right time and with enough charges to take on multiple bigger enemies. My current solution is to turn Akachi into a heavy-investigative character for the early campaign, and picking up 2x Song of the Dead as the first experience buys. The Holy Rosary are good starting cards, but can be replaced with the Spirit Athame (one of the new Carcosa mystic weapons) if you find your Relic slot getting competitive after you add the Jewel of Aureolus.

As new 0-xp combat spells are released into the game, her role will change.

Big Tom Casual likes this

Posted (edited)

I have been playing around with a Lola Hays deck, and so far I found she works best as Seeker/Survivor/Guardian, though she is less combat and more about playing Teamwork and True Grit while in her Guardian role than shooting things. She just does not have the health or sanity for surviving combat. 

I tried her with Mystic but the sanity hits were too hard. She also did not work well with the Rogue Cards as they have a lot of 'succeed by 2 or more' effects and she often can just succeed and misses out on the added bonuses.

After a few more tests, I may publish my deck build on arkhamdb, but that will depend on how well I feel she plays the next few times. She is interesting to build around but she just may not be useful in groups or solo. The jury is still out. 

Edited by AsahinaMaebure
Big Tom Casual and Ompakim like this

89 Scenario Cards, some duplicates as per the norm.  I'm liking the story more than the start of Dunwich.  Is this a spoiler-free zone?

I should amend myself.  I really like the full depth and breath of the Dunwich Legacy, but for the most part we've seen Dunwich represented in the other Arkham lines.  Dunwich is a common first major expansion to FFG's Arkham Files games, but as a result of this, it has become a touch too familiar to me.  As with Dunwich, when we see the King in Yellow or Carcosa, they are brushed with broad strokes only.  Eldritch Horror is almost certainly the best at covering those themes, having devoted an entire small-box expansion to it.  This story, by contrast, is starting with intimate settings and small vantages of the people affected, wittingly or not, by the darkness.  It has so far felt, to me, much more personal than anything I've played the Arkham lineup and am loving it.

Soakman likes this

Agreed. I have now played through the Carcosa box twice with different investigators and groups. Without spoiling anything, this campaign already has a very different feeling to it than Dunwich. It has a lot of promise and I'm looking forward to the rest of the cycle.

Big Tom Casual likes this