Sign in to follow this  
Pooleman

Rules regarding Integrated Astromech

Hello all,

I was playing a match with my friend this past weekend. I was flying Wedge with Integrated Astromech. I had zero shields remaining and was looking at receiving an unblocked regular damage and an unblocked Critical damage. I wanted to take the hit for the regular damage (and deal myself a face down damage card) and then trigger Integrated Astromech to avoid taking the Critical Damage. My friend took exception to this and said that I had to trigger IA to remove the regular damage and then receive the Critical since regular hits are resolved before critical hits. I argued that since the reads "When you are dealt a Damage card, you may discard 1 of your Astromech Upgrade cards to discard that Damage card (without resolving its effect)" I can choose when to trigger Integrated Astromech due to the word "MAY" in the description. I MAY discard IA to discard one damage card if I choose to do so.

Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Your friend is wrong.

You can choose on which card to use IA, including dealing any crits (in order) and deciding ona  per crit basis which one to trigger it on.

So you can be taking hit crit crit and draw weapons failure, decide not to use IA, then draw blinded pilot, and decide TO use it.

WHat you can't do is draw BOTH crits, then decide to discard the first one.  You have to choose and move on.

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

Your friend is wrong.

You can choose on which card to use IA, including dealing any crits (in order) and deciding ona  per crit basis which one to trigger it on.

So you can be taking hit crit crit and draw weapons failure, decide not to use IA, then draw blinded pilot, and decide TO use it.

WHat you can't do is draw BOTH crits, then decide to discard the first one.  You have to choose and move on.

Thanks friend. Keep 'em coming boys, I need t least three confirmations before I send this thread to my friend.

30 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

I think he was very dedicated to making sure he destroyed me. His rage blinds him. I think he's being seduced by the dark side.:D 

Ain't nothing wrong there. Except your friend's understanding of how IA works.

It also sounds like he's confusing the '(hit) results are cancelled before (crit) results' part of the Compare Results step of an attack with the damage cards themselves. By the time you're dealing cards you're out of the step where that's relevant.

Your friend was right.  You must resolve the damage before you resolve the "critical damage."  Unfortunately for him he seems to be confused about how damage is applied as it happens one at a time so you DO get to pick which specific damage card would use the AI trigger to drop the Astromech.