Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beefcake4000

Ugnaught horde!?!?

16 posts in this topic

So I've just heard that ugnaughts took out Gencon, in the Aus meta we've never even seen one of these suckers so to me that is mind blowing.  Does anyone have the list he ran? I'm keen to actually put it down on the table and see if I can work out the hidden hotness or at least just get a sense of what everyone else is talking about! 

Around these parts it's basically all about the glories of hunters, IG88, Jedi Luke and the occasional smugglebox 

It was 6 ugnauts, Iggy, and Onar. It's pretty powerful because the ugs can mainly hide and send out the death-by-a-thousand-cuts junk droid and Iggy and Onar can take out the heavy hitters.  It's a list that can safely attack from far away but then becomes exponentially more dangerous once you come in close. A single ugnaut can get in three attacks once you're in close proximity (first with the junk droid (if it's spawned), then the ug spawns a new one and attacks, then the new junk droid gets to attack). That doesn't often happen, but if you try to come in with a melee figure it's going to get ugly fast. 

-ryanjamal 

Fightwookies likes this

Ugnaughts have been quite good basically since release, and I've said as much on the forum.

I tend not to play the list though because nobody I've played against has ever had fun playing against it.  I also don't want to see more people playing it, lol.

The consistency also suffers a bit depending on your and your opponents cards.  If you play against IG and they get Blaze of Glory and Take Init (or have init and negation), then IG can basically go wipe out all of your ugs himself and there's nothing you can do about it.

Posted (edited)

And the list depends on the mission you play. There are some missions, where the opponent can get mission points faster than the Junk Droid can kill his figures. E.g. Dianoga, ISB To your Stations, etc.

Edited by DerBaer
ryanjamal likes this

Both missions in ISB were actually fantastic for the junk droid, due to how cameras work in B and also objective placement being mostly in the middle in A.

ryanjamal likes this

18 hours ago, DTDanix said:

Ugnaughts have been quite good basically since release, and I've said as much on the forum.

I tend not to play the list though because nobody I've played against has ever had fun playing against it.  I also don't want to see more people playing it, lol.

The consistency also suffers a bit depending on your and your opponents cards.  If you play against IG and they get Blaze of Glory and Take Init (or have init and negation), then IG can basically go wipe out all of your ugs himself and there's nothing you can do about it.

I'm probably in the majority when I say that I don't play companions because I don't understand all the rules associated with them.

nickv2002, ryanjamal and dietz057 like this

Does Jabba mitigate the issue somewhat by giving you points for killing the droids??

1 hour ago, FixB said:

Does Jabba mitigate the issue somewhat by giving you points for killing the droids??

yes

On 8/22/2017 at 7:41 PM, DTDanix said:

I recall you won the Warmup tournament at Worlds Nov '16 with Uggies + Boba. I think that was most people's first exposure to what they're capable of lol. 

I played you on Vassal once and you had 6 Uggies and a Bantha I think. It was a bloodbath lol. I concur that it's not very fun to play against so I hope it doesn't catch on. But if it does, then maybe everyone will just run Jabba as a counter. 

Does it have to be 6 Ugnaughts or none? I've tried running only 3 ugnaughts and didn't think it was that great. I don't see many people buying two sets of Bespin just to spam ugnaughts. 

ryanjamal likes this

I may be in the minority because I enjoy both playing with and against Ugnaughts. I'm planning on bringing 5 of them to French Nationals this weekend because we have the droid wave but not the Jabba wave yet which makes them even more powerful. But I believe their days are numbered. Once HotE drops and people start playing Vader, they will not stand a chance because they will not be able to push damage though two black dice and foresight.

ryanjamal and ThatJakeGuy like this

Posted (edited)

Jabba only kind of counters them.

I'll happily give you even in the range of 8 or 10 points over the course of the game if I get to kill your whole army and control the map.

Edited by DTDanix
MadFuhrer and ryanjamal like this

On 24.8.2017 at 6:54 PM, RogueLieutenant said:

Does it have to be 6 Ugnaughts or none? I've tried running only 3 ugnaughts and didn't think it was that great. I don't see many people buying two sets of Bespin just to spam ugnaughts. 

I won the German nationals with two rUgnaughts (and a few other units;)) last weekend. I think 2 are perfect for the use of some board control and to finish some units with 1 hitpoint left without exposing your more important and expensive figures. Also with only 2 Ugnaughts you are not able to abuse the junk droid to win the whole game.

One Ugnaught is still good for terminal control but it is quite hard to get some attacks out of the junk droid. More Ugnaughts lead to some kind of very defensive play style and as mentioned before it is not very interesting and funny to play against them.

I also have to say that W8 was not legal for the tournament, but W9 was. I dont think I would have played Ugnaughts with all the stuff from Jabba available for my mercenary army.

I played against Seb in Semifinals (obviously lost). I had 2 rUgnaughts and 1 eUgnaught, Mission was ISB Holocams. It basically came down to whose Ugnaught goes last to place the cam. I had the Initiative so he won. But 1 Ugnaught each on both sides would have done the job for that mission.

The week before was a smaller tournament where both of us played. I had the same list and no one else had Ugnaughts. I won all games. Ugnaughts can make a difference.

But as Seb said, we don't have Wave 8 yet. So no 1 point per dead Junk Droid by Jabba. I think, I would have played only one Ugaught, if we had wave 8 yet.

ryanjamal likes this

I won French Nationals this last weekend with 2x eUgnaught, 3x rUgnaught, 2x Hired Gun, IG w/ FOTK, and Devious Scheme. As in other funny European metas, Jabba's wave wasn't allowed but the droid wave was, so it doesn't necessarily extend to the worldwide meta. Many other players had similar lists, though I somehow managed to not play against any other Ugnaughts. The junk droid was pretty ridiculous, dealing a lot of damage over the course of a game, providing a lot of map control, and even pushing a lot of damage onto units with defensive bonuses like IG with the help of Shared Experience. In the final match I did 12 damage with a Terminal Protocol, which was pretty disgusting.

I think you can find valid reasons to play just one or two Ugnaughts, but playing many of them greatly increases how much you can abuse that droid. I would consider playing a similar list even if the Jabba wave was allowed, except I'm ready to play something new now :P

Good god, I just faced two six Ugnaught hordes at US Nationals, and it was absolutely brutalizing.  We ought to renamed the junk droid to the Roomba the way it hoovers up crates in the "Raining Freight" Nal Hutta Swamps mission.

I know it can be beaten, but still ... closest thing to a Negative Play Experience I've had in IA skirmish.