Boomer_J

The "POSITIVE STAR WARS LEGION I WANT THIS GAME SO BADLY THREAD"

49 posts in this topic

Also excited with this game. And I plan on using the minis in Imperial Assault and my RPG games... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was about to hop onto the 40K bandwagon when Legion was announced.

Then came Gencon and Legion was announced. I watched the demo and thought this looks interesting, then came Then Covenants demo video and it filled in more information

But it was the last few minutes that sold me with the objectives and deployment choices. I thought this is great and it just begs for campaign to set it free.

So my 40K money is going to legion and scenery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been saying for years I've wanted a game like Legion, so I'm very happy. Played the demo at GenCon and it's fairly fast and simplistic. Not as deep as other wargames like Warmahordes, 40K, etc but it works and some of the more advanced features weren't be talked about during the demo (the guy didn't even know). Totally buying in and forcing my friends to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, VictoryLeo said:

I've been saying for years I've wanted a game like Legion, so I'm very happy. Played the demo at GenCon and it's fairly fast and simplistic. Not as deep as other wargames like Warmahordes, 40K, etc but it works and some of the more advanced features weren't be talked about during the demo (the guy didn't even know). Totally buying in and forcing my friends to play.

there is plenty of time for more testing.  i would expect it to gain some more depth either on purpose or accidently by release time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BergerFett said:

there is plenty of time for more testing.  i would expect it to gain some more depth either on purpose or accidently by release time

Sometimes less is more. It's easy to pick up and seems to have some nuance to it. I'm looking at this as a good gateway drug to other tactical games. You play Legion, you enjoy it but want more depth you can go to a 40k or Warmahordes. My buddy who did the demo with me was really not interested in another mini game but the simplicity really intrigued him. I honestly think the long game problem FFG will have is the limitations on factions. There's only so many Imperial or Rebel factions you can have before you're scraping the bottom of the barrel and pulling stuff from Galaxies (*cough*X-wing*cough*). I like Warmahordes, 40K and Infinity due to multiple factions to meet your play style. Variety is the spice of life!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Disneys new Movie release schedule, you can be certain they will not run out of possible units any time soon.

 

I personally think they will lean less towards factions, and more towards "light, dark, grey" type alignments as they have with Destiny.

Omegaclone likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JoeVandal49 said:

With Disneys new Movie release schedule, you can be certain they will not run out of possible units any time soon.

 

I personally think they will lean less towards factions, and more towards "light, dark, grey" type alignments as they have with Destiny.

I really hope there's variations in what the commanders bring to the table. You can easily change the play style of the Imperials and Rebels by giving something unique to what commanders you use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, VictoryLeo said:

I really hope there's variations in what the commanders bring to the table. You can easily change the play style of the Imperials and Rebels by giving something unique to what commanders you use. 

This has pretty much been confirmed. Luke and Vader each have a card pool of three i believe. So even a single commander can have totally different impacts from one game to the next even with the same units. Multiply those options with various commander options, and i like where this is going. A simple clean system, with lots of variation from one command unit to the next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeVandal49 said:

This has pretty much been confirmed. Luke and Vader each have a card pool of three i believe. So even a single commander can have totally different impacts from one game to the next even with the same units. Multiply those options with various commander options, and i like where this is going. A simple clean system, with lots of variation from one command unit to the next.

Awesome, I haven't heard that. Warmahordes does that so you can bring 2-3 "commanders" and play the one that suits the army you're matched up with. Works really well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VictoryLeo said:

I like Warmahordes, 40K and Infinity due to multiple factions to meet your play style. Variety is the spice of life!

In theory, in terms of playstyle variety, the only difference between six factions and two factions is how much of the variety is contingent on you during listbuilding, and how much is forced on you by faction delineations.

A core set list that spams Stormtroopers isn't going to play the same as a core set list that takes three units of Speeder bikes, after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, svelok said:

In theory, in terms of playstyle variety, the only difference between six factions and two factions is how much of the variety is contingent on you during listbuilding, and how much is forced on you by faction delineations.

A core set list that spams Stormtroopers isn't going to play the same as a core set list that takes three units of Speeder bikes, after all.

To an extent, absolutely. At the end of the day if the Imperials have X amount of units, you're still hemmed in by the limitations of those units. A stormtrooper squad will always only be a stormtrooper squad. Now to some people, they can be absolutely fine with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VictoryLeo said:

To an extent, absolutely. At the end of the day if the Imperials have X amount of units, you're still hemmed in by the limitations of those units. A stormtrooper squad will always only be a stormtrooper squad. Now to some people, they can be absolutely fine with that. 

That's what I meant by "in theory" - it's not necessarily the case unless the developers specifically make it so; it's contingent upon how many options those factions have.

Stormtroopers can only ever be stormtroopers, with a limited number of possible upgrade options - but there will certainly someday be other Corps rank options, which will have their own different stats and playstyles unto themselves. If you have, say, six distinct Corps choices, whether they're split between six factions or all contained within one isn't that important. In fact, fewer factions actually increases the number of possibly playstyles, since you can mix and match in more ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sirdrasco said:

I was about to hop onto the 40K bandwagon when Legion was announced.

Then came Gencon and Legion was announced. I watched the demo and thought this looks interesting, then came Then Covenants demo video and it filled in more information

But it was the last few minutes that sold me with the objectives and deployment choices. I thought this is great and it just begs for campaign to set it free.

So my 40K money is going to legion and scenery. 

You'll still have money left over!! haha

 

I am looking forward to this greatly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, The Black Man said:

I've mentioned my love with this elsewhere but here I'll go again with no shame.

(Lays prostrated before Legion) 

Be gentle with my wallet.

Heck no! Don't be gentle! I want the rough and tough stuff, the kind you pay extra for. 1Q 2018? Plenty of time to wean myself off my other interests and to start stocking up on ramen noodles and cans of vienna sausages. Hey kids only need to eat once or twice a week, right? As for my wallet? Master Card made plastic for a reason. Skid marks baby! Run 'em deep!

Cade Bulkin and The Black Man like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm selling off what I have left of Dust Tactics/Warfare, Konflict 47, All Runewars and Armada to invest in this. The wife really wants to play to so I'lll have my Rebels and probably her Imperials vs my Imperials..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Omegaclone said:

I'm selling off what I have left of Dust Tactics/Warfare, Konflict 47, All Runewars and Armada to invest in this. The wife really wants to play to so I'lll have my Rebels and probably her Imperials vs my Imperials..

 

I have often thought so many marital problems could be solved with miniature wargaming. . .

Omegaclone and Jedirev like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, VictoryLeo said:

Sometimes less is more. It's easy to pick up and seems to have some nuance to it.

I much rather games that are simple to play, it means you spend less time on rules and issues and more time playing. But being simple doesn't mean that you and your opponent operate at a simple level, there could be some very interesting and involved tactical and strategical decisions. Simple to play but hard to master! So, I don't see that having 100's of pages of rules alone gives rise to a good play experience, by itself.

Armada was announced two years ago, and released in a comparable time frame, it has survived for 2 years with 2 factions. However, the commander of the fleet often works with different types of ships and thus creates fleets that behave in a different manner to another fleet of the same faction. Time will tell if Legion can achieve its' differences via mission choices, commanders and such to create the variety of experience. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Amanal said:

I much rather games that are simple to play, it means you spend less time on rules and issues and more time playing. But being simple doesn't mean that you and your opponent operate at a simple level, there could be some very interesting and involved tactical and strategical decisions. Simple to play but hard to master! So, I don't see that having 100's of pages of rules alone gives rise to a good play experience, by itself.

Armada was announced two years ago, and released in a comparable time frame, it has survived for 2 years with 2 factions. However, the commander of the fleet often works with different types of ships and thus creates fleets that behave in a different manner to another fleet of the same faction. Time will tell if Legion can achieve its' differences via mission choices, commanders and such to create the variety of experience. 

 

I played 40K for a time with my friends and it is simple to play but has TONS of rules. I rather have something simple, fast to learn/teach and doesn't hinder game play. My worries are that over time everything becomes very same-y. FFG has a problem with power creep in X-wing and I don't even feel like I'm playing fun, cinematic dogfights anymore but what new ships/cards have the best stats now. At the heart of the game, it should be about tactics. Putting your squads into the best position to win the battle. The day I walk to a table and see my opponent has a full army of ewoks or ugnaughts or whatever was released new and super overpowered compared to old releases, my worst fears for this game has come true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first saw the announcement; I was at work and starting flipping out. Best news I had seen in forever. I then saw the scale and was extremely disapointed (I was hoping for something very close to X-wing scale), but still open to checking it out, and would have purchased at least the core for the models. After watching the demos I'm sold, still would have preferred, and will continue to hold out hope for, a smaller scale. Ignoring the scale though the game looks like it is going to be a blast to play, my only gripe is that I am going to have to figure out how to get better and faster at painting. FFG has clearly decided that my money is not my own.

TL:DR - I was initially super excited, then disappointed, and now super excited again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I read and think about this game, the more I want to play it!  I have a train table that is almost 6x3 that I can use for a ready built table.  

Omegaclone likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Honestly in my mind I was already looking to make this game out of SWIA. I had already begun work on a small Bespin 3D skirmish map. I am in the midst of a large scale Tattooine 3D skirmish map and I have created all the Walls, Corridors and Blast Doors for a large Death Star/Empire Space Station.

Seeing the trailer for Legion made me so happy because I dont have to create new custom cards. I absolutely can not wait to get my hands on this game!

My kids are smart and will probably get college scholarships so they wont mind if I dip into their accounts :lol:

Edited by C3POFETT
misspelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now