Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tvboy

Should VPs for kills be abolished entirely?

7 posts in this topic

What would happen if victory points were only scored off of mission objectives and card abilities? Would it make individual games more interesting? Would it make different units stronger or weaker than they are now? Would list building change drastically? Would anything be broken (like Jabba)? 

I feel like the kills=vp rule contributes to most missions devolving into team deathmatches and the objectives get rightfully ignored, at least for the first few turns, although that's not true for all skirmish missions. After all, why put my figures at risk to run for an objective, if I can instead just kill your figures that are going for the objectives to prevent you from getting those points, and all the while be scoring vps for doing so? I've noticed that only the missions where objectives are 10+ vps are the ones where its actually worth considering taking objectives over just murdering everything for the whole game.

Shohet likes this

I still think there would be a lot of death match going on. For the simple reason your opponent needs figures to win objective points. You can deny them that by eliminating units. 

I'd like objectives to play a bit more into the calculation. ISB headquarters I think was nicely balanced in this regard. It could be a bloodbath, but the camera mission also gave you a lot of points potentially for good unit placement. 

nickv2002 likes this

Just make tie-breakers rely on mission-derived VP's first, rather than points killed. I think that wouldn't fundamentally change things that much, but might encourage people to not get too far behind on mission points.

This would make killing machines like ig or vader so useless. All you need is a lot of people to put in each strategy point.

Tvboy likes this

9 hours ago, naitsirk said:

This would make killing machines like ig or vader so useless. All you need is a lot of people to put in each strategy point.

All of a sudden Hired Guns is the S-tier.

Lame.

Edited by caseycheesecake
Tvboy likes this