Silverfox13

GenCon Reference Sheet

13 posts in this topic

It says they "drastically simplified" the magic system. So there's more too it, then. It seems to imply that the strain cost won't be stuck at 2, and will instead vary per power. It also implies that magic usage is class specific. Not sure how I feel about that? Although that could be Runebound-specific.

Richardbuxton likes this

4 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

It says they "drastically simplified" the magic system. So there's more too it, then. It seems to imply that the strain cost won't be stuck at 2, and will instead vary per power. It also implies that magic usage is class specific. Not sure how I feel about that? Although that could be Runebound-specific.

We have already seen a warrior with a talent called Templar that allows magic use. That would suggest that while  magic use is locked to careers at the start there will be ways to break those rules.

I can imagine a Ranger career will have some way to use Primal magic but it won't be as good as a Druid.

It's great they set a cap on defence of 4 and simplified the rules for it

I think the simplified Magic is referring to the fact that those Spells can do more, it's just that those characters haven't learned how to. Then there's the assumed expanded spell list for all 5 flavours of magic, there could even be other magic types that simply don't exist as a PC option in Runebound but can be included in other settings. Necromancy is an obvious one, although theoretically that could fall into Arcane.

DarthDude likes this

I rather hope for Archetype than Classes/Specializations. This would strengthen a skill based developement. In Conan 2D20, you start with an archetype, but may choose any skill you like. The ability to cast "sorcery" is tied to talents. So if you like to weave magic, you have to "buy" the appropriate talent. Like the "Templar" talent allows to cast one spell per encounter, actually. In fact the choice of skills and talents decide the role you play in the group. I love this approach. I hope Genesys will show such a flexibility to some degree as well.

Posted (edited)

We have the PCs, we have the "rules",... the only thing unknown are the adversaries ?

Who will post that Vampire chick for us ??

;P

Edited by Solkar77
DarthDude likes this

2 hours ago, Solkar77 said:

We have the PCs, we have the "rules",... the only thing unknown are the adversaries ?

Who will post that Vampire chick for us ??

;P

*Looks at his copy of "The Haunted City"*

...I don't know, man.  That might be a borderline violation...

Richardbuxton and DarthDude like this

53 minutes ago, DarthGM said:

*Looks at his copy of "The Haunted City"*

...I don't know, man.  That might be a borderline violation...

You "could" always ask permission... 

In reality coming up with basic NPC's is simple now we have the skill list. Spells, gear and talents is the part where a bit of creativity and experience with Star Wars would help:

Stereotypical Blood Sucking Vampire 

WT: 20 ST:16 Soak: 5 Defence: 1R/2M

Brawn 4, Agility 2, Intellect 2, Cunning 3, Willpower 4, Presence 3.

Skills: Arcane 4, Brawl 3, Coordination 3, Deception 2, Charm 2, Cool 2, Discipline 2.

Talents and Abilities: Adversary 2, Shape Shift (Bat), Regeneration (slow), Night Dweller, Necromancy (1 Magnitude and 1 Strength upgrades to Necromancy magic requires no difficulty increase)

Attacks:

Leech Life: Brawl, Damage 5, Crit 3, Pierce 3, Stun Damage. Heal wounds equal to damage dealt, spend 2 Advantage to also heal Strain.

Sword: As normal sword, Superior quality +1 Damage and Automatic Advantage to attacks (these vampires have been around long enough to get the good stuff ;) )

Spells:

Animate corpse:

Magic Action: Necromancy

Automatic Additional effects: Strength 1, Magnitude 1.

Effect: Hard (3) Difficulty, 5 corpses within short range becomes a Zombie Minion with +1 to Strength(including wounds and Soak) until end of encounter.

Additional Effects:

Magnitude: Increase Difficulty by 1, increase the number of Zombies raised by Willpower(4)

Range: Increase difficulty by 1, can animate corpses at Long range

Enhancement: Spend 3 Advantage to reduce the Zombies Crit rating to 1 as their disease infested claws become sharper.

Persuasive Words

Magic Action: Attack

Automatic Additional Effects: Enhanced

Effect: Make an Opposed Arcane vs Discipline check against an opponent within Short range. The target suffers 3 Setback to resist any social checks made by the caster for the next 5 minutes or 2 Rounds.

Additional Effects:

Magnitude: Increase Difficulty by 1. Suffer Strain up to Willpower (4) to affect an equal number of additional targets, must use the highest Discipline as difficulty.

Confound: Increase difficulty by 1 to give the Spell Disorient 2

Range: Increase the difficulty by 1 to Increase the Range by 1 to Medium.

Talent descriptions:

Shape Shift (Bat): perform a Shape Shift Action as a manoeuvre to turn into a Bat.

Regeneration: Unless killed by specific means the Vampires body will slowly recover from and critical resulting in death. Upon the next full moon they will rise.

Night Dweller: Treat direct daylight on the skin as if Drowning.

Posted (edited)

On 8/22/2017 at 3:09 PM, DarthDude said:

I really like that the Motivations now have a mechanical impact, very nice.

I'm thinking grabbing that mechanic and incorperating it into the current NarDS system. That should be pretty easy to implement into the current engine.

On 8/22/2017 at 5:40 PM, Richardbuxton said:

It's great they set a cap on defence of 4 and simplified the rules for it

Yeah, that's a smart move. Plus it lets the GM adjust the cap up and down, depending on the power level they want to play at. Superman capped at defense of 4? More like 54.

Edited by Desslok