Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KungFuFerret

Replicating Scion/Exalted level of powers in Genesys?

9 posts in this topic

So to anyone familiar with the old White Wolf game lines, there are two that have a particular place of joy in my little gamer heart.  Well, Scion more than Exalted, as I've yet to actually play Exalted, but I've read a lot of the books.   But, the power level in those games are quite literally epic level.  Like mythological levels of cataclysmic powers and events that shake the pillars heaven Wang!    For those not familiar, if you've ever played the God of War video game series, or are at all familiar with the various pantheon mythologies (Norse, Greek, etc.)  It's generally on that scale.  In Scion, you are literally the children of the gods, and have divine powers that grow with time.   With Exalted, well, basically any insane anime you've ever seen, with crazy power levels, and shooting 5 bajillion arrows while running along a vertical surface, while simultaneously dodging 5 bajillion arrows being shot at you, is pretty much Standard Operating Procedure.

I'd really love to use the Narrative Dice system to play these, as the rules for those game can be very....clunky.   But, I'm just not sure if they will be able to effectively replicate the insane levels of power you can eventually aspire to in those systems.

So, anyone have any ideas on how to replicate those with the Genesys system?  I know most of the rules are pure speculation, but with how the rules work that we do know of,  how, if at all, do you think you could replicate it?

DarthDude and Rrok007 like this

35 minutes ago, KungFuFerret said:

So, anyone have any ideas on how to replicate those with the Genesys system?  I know most of the rules are pure speculation, but with how the rules work that we do know of,  how, if at all, do you think you could replicate it?

I hope they will come up with some universal scaling system not only for the difference in size but also taking super heroes into account. Scion 2nd does this with adding dice to the pool depending on the difference in power level. Would be quite interested how Genesys will manage this as well. My son wants to play a Power Ranger and I'd love to use Genesys for a Power Rangers setting.

"Super in relation to what?"

If you play a game like this, do you have to be able to create everyone from Average Joe to Ashura? That's where game scaling gets spotty, when a system tries to account for every power level simultaneously.

So a successful combat check in Star Wars means you shoot the stormtrooper with your blaster. A successful combat check in Exalted or Scion means you smite your foes with heavenly wrath. It's just a matter of how you narrate it.

Well, in SW there is already a kind of scaling between ship armor/weapons and personal armor/weapons (eiter divided or multiplied by 10). I don't see why such a scaling won't work for othere differences in power level. You could maybe insert some intermediate steps inbetween, et voila, there you have an easy scaling mechanism for all kind of power level differences.

TheSourceHD likes this

4 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

"Super in relation to what?"

If you play a game like this, do you have to be able to create everyone from Average Joe to Ashura? That's where game scaling gets spotty, when a system tries to account for every power level simultaneously.

So a successful combat check in Star Wars means you shoot the stormtrooper with your blaster. A successful combat check in Exalted or Scion means you smite your foes with heavenly wrath. It's just a matter of how you narrate it.

It's not just how you narrate it though.  At the starting, "low level" game, yeah your Scion/Exalted characters aren't too OTT, but by the time they get into the upper echelons of power, they are quite literally forces of nature.  The get so powerful, that at the very top levels of abilities, the game basically stops using dice, and basically says "These guys are so insanely powerful at this point, that you and the GM just need to narrate what he does."   As the living embodiment of Earth, for example, he can quite literally reshape continents.  As the embodiment of Fire, he can cause every volcanic chain on the planet to erupt in geysers of molten lava, etc etc.   

That's on the high end, and there is a large scale of gradient between "Newbie Scion" and "God in their own Power".  But aside from say, the Move power with the FFG system, allowing you to move objects on the size of kilometers, there isn't anything else in the system scale to reflect this.  These are people who could pick up an air craft carrier, and with the right powers, hurl it around the planet   That's not an exaggeration by the way, that's a printed example of some of the things that can be pulled off if the PC takes the right combination of powers.    With that dice system, it works out fine, but I'm not sure how to replicate that kind of stuff with the Narrative Dice system as is.

My thought would just be to "start big, think big". In Star Wars, a starting level character can shoot a blaster with decent accuracy and finesse, or swing a laser sword around and kill someone. If you're playing a starting level godling, and everybody else is a godling, then you're hurling cosmic powers at each other. Same dice, vastly greater described effects. But, effectively, you'll be competing against other godling characters, so the mechanical numbers of hurling a building at someone is the same as, say, throwing a grenade.

For it to work, though, you'd have to exclude the mortal characters. You couldn't just take your godling from one setting and put it into SW and expect everything to scale appropriately, and you couldn't justify a party with dashing-but-mundane rogue and a laser-spitting nebula child. One or the other, but not both.

Basically, the mechanics, with just pure numbers and dice, can handle it, but its the meaning assigned to those numbers that work.

kaosoe likes this

9 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

My thought would just be to "start big, think big". In Star Wars, a starting level character can shoot a blaster with decent accuracy and finesse, or swing a laser sword around and kill someone. If you're playing a starting level godling, and everybody else is a godling, then you're hurling cosmic powers at each other. Same dice, vastly greater described effects. But, effectively, you'll be competing against other godling characters, so the mechanical numbers of hurling a building at someone is the same as, say, throwing a grenade.

For it to work, though, you'd have to exclude the mortal characters. You couldn't just take your godling from one setting and put it into SW and expect everything to scale appropriately, and you couldn't justify a party with dashing-but-mundane rogue and a laser-spitting nebula child. One or the other, but not both.

Basically, the mechanics, with just pure numbers and dice, can handle it, but its the meaning assigned to those numbers that work.

No the idea isn't to mix these godlings with other people.  To give it a SW comparison, it would be everyone being Force Unleashed potential Force Users (and beyond really), and no non-Force sensitives, and never the two shall meet.   You play as a band of godlings, tasked with doing Legendary Deeds at the behest of your parents, to thwart the machinations of the Titans to destroy the world.  

No, I get the concept.

Let me explain what I'm getting at this way. In this system, characteristics normally run from 1-6. We call 2 average human adult. 1 is below average, while 3+ is above average. 4-6 Brawn is really, really strong, compared to an average human.

So in a setting like this, just change those meanings. 2 is average... for a superhuman being. So, descriptively, you're throwing lightning around in a way that makes Palpatine look like a chump, but on a pure mechanical sense the numbers are all the same as a blaster rifle.

You can't just take Unleash with its numbers and dice as it is currently, then go bigger. You take the narrative description of Unleash--shooting lightning from your fingertips)--make that your light blaster pistol, and then scale upwards. So the mechanical 

kaosoe and TheSourceHD like this

I know what you mean, i was commenting to your part about not mixing them.  Since you mentioned it, I figured you thought it was somehow a possibility.  I mean you specifically say things like "dashing but mundane rogue and laser spitting nebula child".  I was explaining that that stuff isn't what happens.  It's not even a possibility.  Every PC is a Scion of a god.   Or in the case of Exalted, which uses similar scale systems, a crazy insane powerful anime character.