colvinatch

Who is Buying This? Who is sticking with IA?

IA has a ridiculous amount of replayability for me. I haven't even touched the campaign yet (I'm waiting for the app) but the quality of the minis along with the wide variety of skirmish maps and missions has kept me entertained and I don't expect it to stop any time soon. Introduced a couple of players to the game last week and they loved the skirmish (both from miniature wargaming backgrounds). I might get this but I doubt it as I don't think I'll be able to afford completing both sets and IA is just getting better and better.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:09 PM, Cade Bulkin said:

I just don't understand that mentality.  It's nice having a variety of games for people with different tastes.  Plus, I mean, I'll never complain about more Star Wars, lol

It's probably more along the lines of the games no longer give us the fix that we are wanting. 

Look at X-Wing. When you look at the competitive side of the game, it doesn't look like X-Wing anymore. If someone who had only seen the movies walked through the OP area at GenCon, on most tables, the only way they would know it's X-Wing is by the table marker saying it's X-Wing. Not from the ships on the table. 

Armada is starting to suffer the same issue. At the start it was all about pushing Star Destroyers around the table. Now its turning into a squadron game. Where squadrons should have always been a small part of the game, it's taking over now. 

Sure, you can go to events and play lists that have the look that we wanted from the games, but deep down, everyone wants to win a game from time to time, and it's becoming more and more difficult to do that without embracing the meta. 

5 hours ago, DarkTemplars said:

Armada is starting to suffer the same issue. At the start it was all about pushing Star Destroyers around the table. Now its turning into a squadron game. Where squadrons should have always been a small part of the game, it's taking over now. 

While this is very likely a gameplay issue (no clue, don't play Armada, but it sound like one), it is quite fluff accurate.

Both Death Stars and the Executor (biggest on screen 'kills') were finished off by fighters and even the ISD at Scarif was first incapacitated by Y-wings.

I might start getting into Legion if they decide to have Clone Wars era armies.

Don't know if I'll play it, but I would at least collect and buid a droid army led by Grievous and Asajj.

Either way, I have no intention to stop playing Imperial Assault, especially with the app coming.

So, Legion is releasing Spring next year with likely the basic units from the core and a few expansions following.  I dont know seems like a very long wait though to get the game to where we want it to be (And a lot of moneyz later).  Maybe Winter 2018 somewhat varied?  2019ish.  I'll see how things play out, but I have no intention of stopping IA for now as there is a HUGE library of units and jumping in only requires buying what you need.  

The problem with the IA skirmish game is that it is overshadowed by Xwing and Destiny.  

Edited by Amraam01

15 hours ago, Amraam01 said:

So, Legion is releasing Spring next year with likely the basic units from the core and a few expansions following.  I dont know seems like a very long wait though to get the game to where we want it to be (And a lot of moneyz later).  Maybe Winter 2018 somewhat varied?  2019ish.  I'll see how things play out, but I have no intention of stopping IA for now as there is a HUGE library of units and jumping in only requires buying what you need.  

The problem with the IA skirmish game is that it is overshadowed by Xwing and Destiny.  

Where I'm from the biggest issue with IA skirmish is the initial buy in. $80 to $100 for the core set and you get a lot that isn't usable for Skirmish. Make the core set models available individually. Then make a skirmish essential box set similar to Rune Wars and then you are heading in the right direction. Also reducing the costs of the rollout maps would be nice since they rotate out so often. 

I will see if it is feasible to buy dice and tools separately and then use AI and SW miniatures figures along with proxies for all cards. It won't do for tournaments but that is not really me anyhow (except for Armada tournaments which I really enjoy and I find Armada to be awesome right now with the squadrons having value and a role along the big ships) . 

Edited by GilmoreDK

I am interested in Legion because the skirmish rules for IA are pretty simple and I would prefer a ruleset with more meat on its bones. Unfortunately miniatures that need assembling and painting is a non-starter for me. If I had the time and motivation to learn to paint I would already be playing other miniature games like Infinity.

Who is Buying This? Me 

Who is sticking with IA? Also Me

That's like asking 

Who is having breakfast? Who is having elevenses? There both similar enough to choose between them if you want to but different enough to have both if you feel like it :D Now I'm gunna have lunch and you can be dammed sure I'm having dinner later on. 

I'm hungry, can you tell?  

On 9/24/2017 at 3:04 AM, TheNewShmoo said:

I am interested in Legion because the skirmish rules for IA are pretty simple and I would prefer a ruleset with more meat on its bones. Unfortunately miniatures that need assembling and painting is a non-starter for me. If I had the time and motivation to learn to paint I would already be playing other miniature games like Infinity.

The miniatures don't need to be painted anymore than the Imperial Assault miniatures need to be painted.  My assumption is that the majority of armies you see out in the field won't be painted (or will be incomplete).

In terms of the assembly, if it's anything like Runewars, and it probably is, you'll probably spend 30-60 minutes with some super glue and be completely done.  I'm expecting the troops to be 2-3 parts maximum with the vehicles having a few more. 

I only recently bought into Imperial Assault; so far, the core, plus a few of the blisters that are compatible with it (both ones that replace its tokens with minis, and some of the blister only wave expansions, like Hera and Chopper, the Inquisitor, BT-1 and 0-0-0...  I haven't tried skirmish yet, but it looks like it has potential.  I also have a huge collection of WotC Star Wars minis, which make for a fair skirmish game (especially if you do away with all of the cards and just write stats on a roster sheet, add a few basic house rules and drop the recommended points limits...).

Can't say I really have any interest in buying Legion, though I have been watching Legion develop, given early concerns about its impact on Imperial Assault.  I've also noted a few ideas I think are good in Legion that I'll probably steal (like the minimum move requirement for things like speeder bikes, or snowspeeders on my table). 

Simply put, then, I'll keep watching Legion's development so I can pirate ideas from it, but I have plenty of options to do essentially everything Legion will offer, so I see no reason to invest in a repetitious game experience.  Similarly, as I found the Saga Edition RPG completely satisfactory, I haven't felt the urge to buy into FFG's Star Wars RPG.  If the one works well, why replace it unnecessarily?

Well I live in South East Texas, flood waters reached 36" inside my house completely engulfing the underside of my game table and about 44" in my studio in the garage saturating much of paints and other hobby supplies. I lost all my X-Wing cards and base tiles. I was able to save all my painted IA miniatures and primed ones on my studio floor. In a strange twist some of my Imperial Assault campaign materials survived; large hero cards, Imperial Deck, some upgrades and all the map tiles were high enough. All the Command Deck cards and individual character cards were lost. I have/had two of every box expansion thus far and in some case multiples of the  blister packs. A few I hadn't opened like 2 New Jawas, though sealed, still contained water ruining the cards, figures are still usable. 

Soooooo, I'm going all in for Legion, my reasoning for purchasing large amounts of IA was to have battles like what Legion is going to offer. 

I highly doubt I will re-purchase every expansion in IA just for the paper/card components. I will purchase the Main set again one day.

13 hours ago, Omegaclone said:

Well I live in South East Texas, flood waters reached 36" inside my house completely engulfing the underside of my game table and about 44" in my studio in the garage saturating much of paints and other hobby supplies. I lost all my X-Wing cards and base tiles. I was able to save all my painted IA miniatures and primed ones on my studio floor. In a strange twist some of my Imperial Assault campaign materials survived; large hero cards, Imperial Deck, some upgrades and all the map tiles were high enough. All the Command Deck cards and individual character cards were lost. I have/had two of every box expansion thus far and in some case multiples of the  blister packs. A few I hadn't opened like 2 New Jawas, though sealed, still contained water ruining the cards, figures are still usable. 

Soooooo, I'm going all in for Legion, my reasoning for purchasing large amounts of IA was to have battles like what Legion is going to offer. 

I highly doubt I will re-purchase every expansion in IA just for the paper/card components. I will purchase the Main set again one day.

Email FFG, they might do something for you considering the circumstances.

I recently bought a IA collection, I've been waiting and got a good deal on a used collection. I really can't wait for the app to be out. I really wanted to jump on Legion, but the scale is disappointing. I was hoping for smaller and have AT-AT and other larger vehicles in the game. I am still on the fence and might jump on it when I see the local support for it.

@Omegaclone

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you & your family are alright and getting back to normal.

In the past I've asked FFG about replacing a water logged X-wing damage deck and they were kind enough to do so. Try reaching out to their customer service (at the bottom of the page).
With ships, they typically asked for photo evidence. With this being such a large amount of items, I'm sure it would be similar. The only thing you have to lose is a bit of time.

Hopefully this never happens again to you or anyone else out there, but for the sake of preparedness, looking into waterproof containers/bins going forward might be a good investment. Anyone know of anything like this?

I never bought IA, but I'm buying SWL just for the mini's the legion rules are for me just to limited compared to WEG's rules. After trying the demo at gencon I felt Vader was to weak an is going to get killed alot and I mean alot but lol yeah I just want the mini's.

Edited by SinisterSyx

9 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

@Omegaclone

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you & your family are alright and getting back to normal.

In the past I've asked FFG about replacing a water logged X-wing damage deck and they were kind enough to do so. Try reaching out to their customer service (at the bottom of the page).
With ships, they typically asked for photo evidence. With this being such a large amount of items, I'm sure it would be similar. The only thing you have to lose is a bit of time.

Hopefully this never happens again to you or anyone else out there, but for the sake of preparedness, looking into waterproof containers/bins going forward might be a good investment. Anyone know of anything like this?

Thank you. We're displaced and will be for a while. Kids are adjusting and we are staying with a family member. (We managed to save all our Destiny Cards and dice.) My collections were in tackle boxes and in large totes then in Ziplock bags and placed what I thought would be high enough. Some totes floated, others due to shear weight didn't float but rising water/water pressure caused lids to pop off filling totes with water. When you have children ages 3 and 1 the last thing on your mind "Is my collection safe?"

Honestly I didn't even think to reach out to FFG. I'll definitely do this.

I didn't mean to Hijack the thread either. 

I am all in on this one. I see no comparison between those two games. Yes, they use minis, and that is about it, but one is a board game and the other is a tabletop game. I will also unsurprisingly keep on playing Armada. And also Arkham Horror LCG despite Legion will have cards in it :)

I'll keep playing IA with friends, but I was never impressed enough to buy the game. It's fun enough to play, but I don't like to spend money on things just because of the brand. To each their own :)

I will definitely be playing Legion, though! I've been wanting to get into a competitive game, so had been looking hard at X-Wing or Armada (and even considering IA Skirmish), but Legion really fits what I wanted. Very excited for my preorder to arrive!