colvinatch

Who is Buying This? Who is sticking with IA?

128 posts in this topic

I am curious as to how many folks out there are planning on buying this, if you have already heavily invested in Imperial Assault are you planning on purchasing this?  Would you be more inclined to purchase this if the minis were compatible?  Is there simply too much overlap between IA and Legions for some of you out there?  Who is planning on purchasing both?  I will say that I am perfectly happy with IA and have ALOT of money and time invested in my IA minis and really enjoy the game, at present I have no real plas to purchase this as I see too much overlap and just not enough bang for my buck compared to putting those funds into more IA expansions and minis.

Boba Rick likes this

Posted (edited)

I have a few IA boxes and some expansions... I'll most likely keep playing the campaign part from time to time, but Legions means I'll never bother with IA's lousy skirmish system again.  Because now I'll be able to play a proper Star Wars skirmish game with Legion.

There is IMO no overlap at all between these two games.  One is a fun campaign system the other is a Skirmish miniature tabletop game.

Edit:  I will however most likely use my IA stormtroopers and possibly other models if something similar comes out for Legion in Legion, at least for casual/friendly games.

Edited by VanorDM
433, Reiryc, Arrow and 3 others like this

As of right now I am planning on buying Legion. I had purchased the IA core awhile back, but it never really clicked for me. This, on the other hand, I am pumped for!

1 minute ago, VanorDM said:

I have a few IA boxes and some expansions... I'll most likely keep playing the campaign part from time to time, but Legions means I'll never bother learning  IA's fun and engaging skirmish system.  

Fixed. ;)

Arttemis, buckero0 and Boba Rick like this

Posted (edited)

I'll continue playing IA for campaign, because it's great for that.

But it's lousy as a skirmish game (at least of the sort I want...it's a fun board game skirmish, but that's not my goal) and so I'll also be getting Legion.

I see no overlap for what I want.

Edited by Extropia
VanorDM, Kentares, Wiredin and 1 other like this

This game's announcement is also making me consider selling most of my X-Wing collection haha. X-Wing is going down a tricky path and I feel that starting from the beginning of a game will be beneficial (I started X-Wing after Wave 8). 

Wiredin likes this

Posted (edited)

Ah, well....fortunately I sold all my x-wing a wave or two ago. Despite the huge value I got from it, I found myself playing less and less with every wave as it moved away from what I liked about it. Don't miss it tbh.

Edited by Extropia

1 minute ago, VanorDM said:

I hate IA's skirmish system... I've played it twice maybe 3 times and that was more than enough for me.

I guess it depends on what you were looking for.  I like everything about it (from a casual POV) except for the map assembly.  The relatively narrow scope of competitive lists and seemingly haphazard unit costing prevents me from wanting to play in tournaments.

VanorDM likes this

There is no overlap, in terms of the gameplay, so far as I can tell. I bought IA and expansions, tried it out, didn't like it, and sold it off. I will be buying Legion, too.

I played through a campaign of IA. Skirmish never took off in my area, so I never got into it. It's a decent "guys on a grid" game, but I have D&D.

So, yeah, I'll be getting Legion. IA will stay in the closet in case I feel like doing another campaign some day.

15 minutes ago, qwertyuiop said:

I guess it depends on what you were looking for. 

Sure and if you like it, great :)

But myself I want something on par with 40k or Bolt Action only with Star Wars troops (and a better ruleset then 40k which isn't all that hard)

ryanabt, qwertyuiop and Extropia like this

39 minutes ago, colvinatch said:

I am curious as to how many folks out there are planning on buying this, if you have already heavily invested in Imperial Assault are you planning on purchasing this? |
Would you be more inclined to purchase this if the minis were compatible?
Is there simply too much overlap between IA and Legions for some of you out there?
Who is planning on purchasing both?

I will say that I am perfectly happy with IA and have ALOT of money and time invested in my IA minis and really enjoy the game, at present I have no real plas to purchase this as I see too much overlap and just not enough bang for my buck compared to putting those funds into more IA expansions and minis.

Yes, I'm buying Legion, and all of the expansion packs. I already own at least one of everything, and some multiples, of every IA release - core and expansions and minis
Indifferent - they're two different games.
No, there's none other than they both happen to exist in the Star Wars universe
Me. And several other gamers in my local market.

Saying that Descent and WH40k share "too much overlap" really makes me wonder. IA Skirmish is pretty terrible overall (and the tournament maps changing every few months - UGH!) whereas the campaigns are brilliant and convey a very Star Wars SpecOps feeling with the few heroes doing their thing against the Empire. Legion will be massed battles of loads of troops doing cool things.

VanorDM and benskywalker like this

39 minutes ago, colvinatch said:

I am curious as to how many folks out there are planning on buying this

I was planning on buying this.

I've tried out Imperial Assault, and liked it, but haven't invested any money in it personally. I wasn't planning on starting with Imperial Assault. So I don't have any mixed feelings.

I'm now thinking I'd be better off waiting. When I first read "Legion" I thought it would be a X-Wing scaled, prepainted, ground combat game. Disappointed at first, I started to feel the hype for the game and imagined the possibilities. But the more I've learned about the game, the more the appeal is becoming lost.

Hopefully there will be a ground combat game in the future. That I will buy.

18 minutes ago, Slugrage said:

Yes, I'm buying Legion, and all of the expansion packs. I already own at least one of everything, and some multiples, of every IA release - core and expansions and minis
Indifferent - they're two different games.
No, there's none other than they both happen to exist in the Star Wars universe
Me. And several other gamers in my local market.

Saying that Descent and WH40k share "too much overlap" really makes me wonder. IA Skirmish is pretty terrible overall (and the tournament maps changing every few months - UGH!) whereas the campaigns are brilliant and convey a very Star Wars SpecOps feeling with the few heroes doing their thing against the Empire. Legion will be massed battles of loads of troops doing cool things.

IA is my favorite FFG game at the moment and I really love Skirmish...but it has some huge problems.  It is getting better, and I think FFG still has a chance of turning things around for it.  However, IA Skirmish does completely die off, it won't be because of Legion.  It will be because they took too long to balance the game and let power creep go out of control

Portage, Slugrage and Arttemis like this

Bizarrely, I am finding that legions is killing, not only my interest in IA, but also in all of FFGs Star Wars games. Since they announced it, X-wing, Armada, ia, and legions are all appealing less. May be Star Wars game overload, but it feels more like overload with FFGs design philosophy. IDK, but I think that not only am I not going to be playing legion, bug I may also stop playing the other 3 because of it. 

quantumsheep likes this

1 hour ago, LifeGain said:

This game's announcement is also making me consider selling most of my X-Wing collection haha. X-Wing is going down a tricky path and I feel that starting from the beginning of a game will be beneficial (I started X-Wing after Wave 8). 

I don't think I'll be selling all my X-Wing...but I have a feeling X-Wing will be on it's way out with Legion coming in for my local community. Lots of interest in the new game, including a lot of the core X-Wing players. So we will see what happens. IA is already gone from here. 

1 minute ago, Forgottenlore said:

Bizarrely, I am finding that legions is killing, not only my interest in IA, but also in all of FFGs Star Wars games. Since they announced it, X-wing, Armada, ia, and legions are all appealing less. May be Star Wars game overload, but it feels more like overload with FFGs design philosophy. IDK, but I think that not only am I not going to be playing legion, bug I may also stop playing the other 3 because of it. 

I just don't understand that mentality.  It's nice having a variety of games for people with different tastes.  Plus, I mean, I'll never complain about more Star Wars, lol

benskywalker and Undeadguy like this

4 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

Yeah, like I said, it's weird. But it is also what I am feeling at the moment. 

I didn't mean that nearly as critical as it came out.  I totally get that you can't help that you feel that way.  I just meant it is hard for me to imagine.