Arknur

One last expansion?

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Do you think that there will be one last expansion after "heart of the Empire"?

Although the SW:Legion appearance, I think that there will be one last expansion (at least). 

Speculations: 

--Plantet: Dagobah / Endor

--Characters: Yoda, Scout troopers (with speeder bikes?)

And possibly, due Hera and the Grand Inquisitor, also will appear as part of the wave, Kanan Jarrus.

I think that an expansion in Endor would finish the cycle of the Episodes IV-V-VI and the cycle of the game.

If there is someone of FFG staff reading this topic, please, make it happen!!!!

Edited by Arknur

I'll be amazed if they never do a Yoda figure or Scout Troopers. The latter seems like it would almost require at least a small-box expansion. 

I expect HotE will be the last expansion before the app, and all bets are off once we have the app released. If the app opens up all kinds of new game play options, there may be expansions all the way into 2019.

I doubt they have plans yet to shut down IA production. I'd be surprised and disappointed if we only get 'one more' after HotE.

Legion looks very different from a gameplay perspective, and I know that I have no interest in using a ruler to know where a figure can move. IA is still going to have a strong market even if legion does poach a few players. 

Imo, the area where legion actually could hurt IA is in attracting new players. Newbies looking for a game may be more interested in in something that currently has lower $ barriers to entry. There is a lot of IA content out there to pick up before a new player could really be competitive. 

3 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

I doubt they have plans yet to shut down IA production. I'd be surprised and disappointed if we only get 'one more' after HotE.

Legion looks very different from a gameplay perspective, and I know that I have no interest in using a ruler to know where a figure can move. IA is still going to have a strong market even if legion does poach a few players. 

Imo, the area where legion actually could hurt IA is in attracting new players. Newbies looking for a game may be more interested in in something that currently has lower $ barriers to entry. There is a lot of IA content out there to pick up before a new player could really be competitive. 

That is true, and that has been a complaint of mine, but that won't change with Legion.  As new packs come out, the Meta will change and there will be accepted lists that are better than others.  So the long that Legion goes on, the larger barrier to entry becomes.  X-wing seems unique in that situation because any of the starter boxes are all of 1 X-wing and two TIE fighters.  

We are due a wave of ally/villain packs next, that will definitely happen. The app made descent really popular again, the IA app could do the same when all the solo/co-op players can join the fun. If that happens I think we'll see a lot more IA expansions, although some of those will be digital.

VadersMarchKazoo likes this

With Hera, Chopper and the Inquisitor in the game already I think we can expect at least the remaining Rebels characters to show up in some way (Ally/Villain packs, or maybe even a small box expansion?)

Ally/Villain packs still have a few untapped OT characters left to use. (Yoda, Wedge, 4LOM, Zuckuss, etc)

With BT-1 and 0-0-0, the comics are open and we could possibly see more. (Aphra, Black Wookie guy, etc)

Rogue One is possible, what with dead characters (Obi-Wan, Greedo, Inquisitor) making appearances.

So there is plenty of untapped material. Just a question of how Legion hits IA's playerbase, and if sales decline sharply or not.

12 hours ago, Fightwookies said:

This is the only place I disagree with you.  I think it's more likely people will be put off by rulers, terrain, and the need to assemble and paint figures.

You do have a valid point, but I'm not sure that most new players will feel like they need to buy everything right from the start.

There's also the campaign vs. skirmish aspect to consider. We don't have any idea how long a full game (1000 points), or even a half-game (500 points) of Legion takes to play. Skirmish play in IA is relatively fast (world champs ran about an hour, right?), so that'd be the benchmark. And IA will have much more going for it in terms of army list customization, command card specialization, etc., at the outset.

As a primarily-campaign player, IA seems to have a bit more separation. Not that you couldn't build a campaign for a miniature war game, but with the point totals they were talking about for Legion (500-1000), it will be interesting to see if Legion lends itself easily to story-creation and story-progression. My guess is that it'll lend itself to people with DM experience, but be more daunting for newer players as a story-telling platform. IA's campaign is remarkably straightforward: buy a box, open said box, play said box's campaign. If you have more boxes, then mix and match, but there's plenty of story scenarios ready-made to choose from. 

Then again, I am speculating on a product that's only just been announced (and has had only limited features spoiled), so I reserve the right to recant any or all of this later. :P

If I might chime in a little:

Rebels and Rogue One have plenty to contribute to the game. Then there's the Sequels films. Possibly the Han Solo movie and other spin-offs will bring yet more.

I'm a little put off Legion, though I've not really been interested in Imperial Assault. However, I like the fact that the miniatures in IA are assembled. I don't need to buy scenery. It is pricey, but you get a lot for your money so it does even out.

Being able to open the box, set up and play without hours of modelling is always a positive with people like me.

It's ironic that in all the excitement over Legion, and the comparisons to Imperial Assault, it's made the latter seem more appealing.

I have a feeling that Imperial Assault will keep going until all Original Trilogy, Rebels, Rogue One and Sequel Trilogy options have been exhausted.

One last expansion? I don't think so.

I think this is an interesting time for IA. If you assume that FFG is planning to focus more on campaign, this could really change the model that we've seen up to this point. My thought is that we might start seeing different types of expansions for campaign; more in the way of apps and adventure modules along with some new figures to support the new campaigns. 

If this is true, I'm sad to see the skirmish folks put-out but it might be an exciting time for campaign-focused expansions. It might also decrease the product development time since campaign doesn't need the razor-edge balance that skirmish does.

thestag likes this

Posted (edited)

As long as the IA expansions meet profit expectations there will be more. I suspect at least an Endor themed box expansion and maybe even a Rogue One themed box. If it makes money FFG will make more. Contrary to the opinions of some that IA is doomed after the announcement of Legion they are very different games and cater to different target audiences. Be thankful that IA is not a "gateway" game to Legion as some think it should be or its future would be much more questionable.

Edited by DesignXception

See, that's what I'm a bit worried about.  Everybody has their desires- an Endor pack, Rogue One stuff, a Sabine ally pack, a Cad Bane villain pack... but Star Wars is a huge franchise, and it's clear IA won't go on forever.  Now that we're through most of the original trilogy characters, all bets are off the table.  No longer can we say, "Surely we're going to get Leia", or "Why don't we have Jabba yet?"  

I'm not saying that we're not getting anything anymore, but simply because FFG hasn't released the pack you want yet doesn't mean that the game isn't over.  In a way, it's kind of exciting, though.  HotE was a pretty outside the box announcement, so assuming that FFG does release more IA afterward, it's sure to be another unexpected thing by many people- but for some, it will be the thing that they wanted most.

There, that's my dose of optimism for the day.

thestag likes this

My first foray into gaming (I'd only played board games before that as I thought gaming was too nerdy for me) was with X-wing. I had heard that it brought many players from Warhammer, which then started up the competitive scene. Then I was hearing that it was growing with Magic players entering the realm and thus starting more meta battles and basically ruined the game for entry level people like me.

Not long after I started X, IA came out. I didn't like it at first because it wasn't painted. I've never painted anything in my life. But a friend convinced me to get into it for skirmish because it had better balanced dice and the objectives and map rotation made the game able to stay pretty fresh. I took a stab at painting and ended up LOVING it! Now I'm scared the game is going to slowly disappear. I imagine that there is definitely another big box coming and one more set of expansions. Rumblings at Worlds this past year were that Rebellion was dead, but they came out with the Rogue One as a last hurrah. Look at Star Wars LCG? It had a good following and they still produce stuff years after it laid down to rest on its death bed. 

What do the Star Wars LCG, Warhammer, and MTG people on here think? Are we going to be sinking more $$$ into a dying game?    

On 8/22/2017 at 6:39 PM, totalnoob said:

I don't know anything from anything, but if you invest 18 months of development into an app to expand the appeal of the base product - I don't think you kill said product right after app launch.

On the surface that makes sense. In reality, they did that with Descent and haven't had a new expansion for year now. Instead they put all their efforts into Runewars. Now Descent isn't declared dead, just put so far down the to do list nothing gets done. The same is feared for IA.

Posted (edited)

I hope we will see some hero packs for campaign in the future.
I feel like this could revive the campaign endlessly.
Creating custom heroes is also an option but I don't think you would find awesome sculpts unless reusing the npc sculpts.

I'm a noob, I know nothing... :-D

Edited by Heraclys

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Mep said:

On the surface that makes sense. In reality, they did that with Descent and haven't had a new expansion for year now. Instead they put all their efforts into Runewars. Now Descent isn't declared dead, just put so far down the to do list nothing gets done. The same is feared for IA.

At Gencon someone asked about Descent and they did say something was planned and to stay tuned.  Nothing more than that though.

Descent 2E is five years old and IA is three.  So if it's going the same way it'll be just about following the same timeline.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

They have also explored the comic books with Vader's droids 0-0-0 and BT-1, so they might also pick up from there too.  

And this game cannot fade away without a Nien Nunb figure, well at least for my group since we tend to try (and I really mean try!) to say his quotes from return of the jedi when we meet for some IA, for no specific reason ... it just became a running joke!!

Repeat after me "Attay day nu hahdda moo day haddaa moo kay ah, hah"  ;)