Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tommy Blunderbuss

What can I look forward to?

8 posts in this topic

For those of you who have played this game and enjoyed it, what can I look forward to?

What races and careers are there for character creation? What equipment, vehicles and ships are there to buy and use?

What adversaries are there? What enemy vehicles and ships?

Is this just the original trilogy only or has some of the old EU been thrown in?

Now the big two questions, just for curiosity:

How easy is it to create new ships? For example if I wanted to have ships from Rebels, Rogue One or the Sequels.

If I wanted to run a massive battle, like Scarif, Endor, Jakku or Takodana, how easy would that be to run?

I'm Keen to start making some notes on a possible plot so I'm ready for release.

4 hours ago, Tommy Blunderbuss said:

For those of you who have played this game and enjoyed it, what can I look forward to?

What races and careers are there for character creation? What equipment, vehicles and ships are there to buy and use?

What adversaries are there? What enemy vehicles and ships?

Is this just the original trilogy only or has some of the old EU been thrown in?

Now the big two questions, just for curiosity:

How easy is it to create new ships? For example if I wanted to have ships from Rebels, Rogue One or the Sequels.

If I wanted to run a massive battle, like Scarif, Endor, Jakku or Takodana, how easy would that be to run?

I'm Keen to start making some notes on a possible plot so I'm ready for release.

I expect this to be a reprint of the first edition which is fairly typical star wars races. Twi'lek, Wookiee, Human, Ithorian etc. Equipment and ships is the basics from yt-1300, to ties and xwings.

I expect this to be a cut and paste so i don't expect any EU and set just after a new hope.

Ships are easy to create but their is no standard template to say if you have this you can only have a little of that. Tramp Freighters which is Galaxy Guide 6 is a good mod book for starships. They even did a second edition version.

The game was never gear for mass combat but my suggestion would be do a narrative to describe the action but make key sequences for the players and what effect on the overall battle if any they had.

Two many pilots in the old archetypes in the back of the book were Smuggler and Brash Pilot the latter aimed more at snub fighters but that depends on how you spend your beginning 7d on skills. 2d max on any one skill. As far as rules jockeying purchasing high stat skills save character points later but leaves you vulnerable to not being all rounded.

Tommy Blunderbuss likes this

7 hours ago, splad said:

I expect this to be a reprint of the first edition which is fairly typical star wars races. Twi'lek, Wookiee, Human, Ithorian etc. Equipment and ships is the basics from yt-1300, to ties and xwings.

Awesome! I'm happy with "just the OT movies" races and ships. My preference would be a Wookie piloting a Firespray.

7 hours ago, splad said:

I expect this to be a cut and paste so i don't expect any EU and set just after a new hope.

Though I never got into the EU, there were plenty of cool things from it. Interdictor Star Destroyers for example.

7 hours ago, splad said:

Ships are easy to create but their is no standard template to say if you have this you can only have a little of that. Tramp Freighters which is Galaxy Guide 6 is a good mod book for starships. They even did a second edition version.

I was going to use the Cross Section books for a helpful reference, but I'll look up the Galaxy Guide too. 

7 hours ago, splad said:

The game was never gear for mass combat but my suggestion would be do a narrative to describe the action but make key sequences for the players and what effect on the overall battle if any they had.

Good suggestion. Was wondering how players could be part of a mass battle. I'll try to make the action a bit like a video game. More work for me in planning the big picture, but keeping the action fast and fun for players.

7 hours ago, splad said:

Two many pilots in the old archetypes in the back of the book were Smuggler and Brash Pilot the latter aimed more at snub fighters but that depends on how you spend your beginning 7d on skills. 2d max on any one skill. As far as rules jockeying purchasing high stat skills save character points later but leaves you vulnerable to not being all rounded.

Too many pilots? That's to be expected with Star Wars. Even Rey can pilot the Millennium Falcon like a pro despite never leaving Jakku.

Good advice on how to create good characters, will be sure to remember that.

Thank you for that. It's roughly what I expected but you never know if you don't ask. Can't wait to get my copy.

splad likes this

I think the thing you should forward to the most is fast-and-easy character creation.  Be sure to read the backgrounds on ALL of the templates, not just the pilots you are interested in (like even you said, ANY of them can also be pilots - just spend your dice on pilots skills). You'll be surprised at what catches you unexpectedly and flares up your imagination.  

I had this game for YEARS before I finally read that TOUGH NATIVE template and I pretty much slapped myself for not having read it sooner!  Shoulda' been my first character!  Perfect for those galactic ignorant creatures who come from that weird TL8 Garden World that is third planet from its sun!  You know, the one where it's single-species, but multiple racial society (with varied creatures) is purposely kept ignorant of REAL SPACE mechanics (these idiots actually believe there is no sound in space, [yeah right]) and the citizens are kept brainwashed into believing they are alone in the galaxy? 

Remember you can keep the template type but scrap the official background and customize it to your liking, or even just use the rules they give to easily customize a whole new template!  Why be just a GAMBLER when you can be a GRUFF INTERGALACTIC A-HOLE SUMBITCH' GAMBLER?  And the rules for alien creation are in there, so you won't even NEED stats for any that don't already appear!

For a game that focuses on only the OT you'll be surprised at the amount of imagination WEG were able to put into this; it is far more open and flexible than FFG's current games - and that's coming from someone who loves what FFG are doing.  The amount of humor throughout the book is excellent too.  People forget that what made SW so good in the first place is that it had as much comedy as every other genre combined into one film!  Supposedly the game takes place after ANH, but then there is an Ewok template!   THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!   How can a wookie be happy on a planet full of Ewoks?  THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!  

No seriously, be sure to gaze at those adventure hooks, too (one of which is set during the events of ESB, so there you go) !  They're all so superbly written, and so simple you'll be eager to campaign play through all of them, or even write up some of your own!

You probably will ditch the idea of mass combat for a while, there is just so much other fun stuff happening in this game.  To me Mass Combat in this game was just a matter of GM narrative fiat, but I think they covered it in a later supplement anyway (I'm thinking the Rebel Spec Force Operatives (?) book?   Then there was always the D6 Miniature Combat rules for skirmishes anyway.  Just use that to cover your heroes and blow out the background with descriptive noise and explosions!  Yee-hah! :P!

4 hours ago, Tommy Blunderbuss said:

Too many pilots? That's to be expected with Star Wars. Even Rey can pilot the Millennium Falcon like a pro despite never leaving Jakku.

Good advice on how to create good characters, will be sure to remember that.

Thank you for that. It's roughly what I expected but you never know if you don't ask. Can't wait to get my copy.

typo was meant to be two main archetypes...autocorrect sucks lol

12 minutes ago, splad said:

typo was meant to be two main archetypes...autocorrect sucks lol

I think I preferred the typo.

Sum up Star Wars in one simple sentence: "too many pilots".

From a child slave on Tatooine, to a primitive Ewok on Endor, everyone can pilot.

splad likes this

1 hour ago, Tommy Blunderbuss said:

I think I preferred the typo.

Sum up Star Wars in one simple sentence: "too many pilots".

From a child slave on Tatooine, to a primitive Ewok on Endor, everyone can pilot.

Lol I guess it's just like driving but not every one can be Nigel Mansell