Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rinzler in a Tie

Tin Foil Hat Area: FFG Planning for the End

34 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

..unless you can call out another point...

Manufacturers moved to a Pull Production system (as much as they can) because having inventory costs money.  They want to make just enough so everyone gets what they want without waiting, but not have a warehouse full of stuff.

Posted (edited)

I'd put it down to FFG rapidly trying to get their inventory of miniatures for SW:Legion made, and their other games, along with the distribution changes for the Asmodee changeover. There's nothing sinister going on.

Did you miss the announcement for Star Wars Legion? That has 33 individual figures in it. An X-wing blister has 1 or 2 things in it (or 3 for a core set). Tack on all the Runewars figures for the core sets and expansions there. Add in every other miniature game and/or expansion set that FFG makes, and is trying to get to market before Christmas this year (especially if its new product). I can't imagine that older X-Wing miniatures rank very high on the priority list of production. They'd also would not have wanted a ton of product sitting around pending the distribution change. If things are still done the way they were when I was running the inventory control for a huge music company, any of the existing distributors who weren't still going to be carrying the product would have had to return it all to FFG. They'd end up with product that's sitting in a warehouse is costing them money. Space to store it, lost revenue from the interest from the cash reserves to have it made, so they'd lose money to inventory just gathering dust instead of moving until the cut-over happened.. It makes far more sense to let things run out of stock and deal with them after. Like they're doing now.

Seriously, what's with some of you folks trying to find deep, dark conspiracy theories everywhere? Take a breath, step back and look at the whole picture. Not just the little fragments that fit under the tin-foil hat.

Edited by Slugrage
GLEXOR and Sithborg like this

Here's another crazy tinfoil theory:

Wave 13 is already printed.

They have it ready and were ready for a release in May or latest now, together with Episode 8. But Episode 8 got delayed and they needed to switch up things, moving other ships ahead. Possibly with less playtesting than intended?! Anyway, those ships also needed to be printed. Now they are, and now the printer is free from urgent new products, which means they can finally reprint the older products.

But that's mostly BS because the more plausible answer is that the merger with Asmodee and the switch to a single distributor model meant they wanted to wait with reprints until that is over. Now it is, and now they can finally restock with the single distributor.

I suspect that the Bullseye idea is such a good one that it's a precursor to Xwing 1.5.  The reprints might be either a final hurrah to 1.0 before 1.5 or, much less likely, a preparation for 1.5 (highly highly unlikely).

If i were to tinfoil on the idea, i'd be more worried that this is a sign the mouse is not going to renew their licensing contract and give it to someone else. And the stock up is to take as much as possible before they have to pull them from shelves as they did the gw gear.

That said, a to rational person it just appears they are getting the printing queues clear of existing models to prepare for volume legion/runewars/other new product that previously have taken too long to trickle through after announcement. Noone can deny the shipping has gotten somewhat faster the last wave or two.

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

If i were to tinfoil on the idea, i'd be more worried that this is a sign the mouse is not going to renew their licensing contract and give it to someone else. And the stock up is to take as much as possible before they have to pull them from shelves as they did the gw gear.

This is counter-intuitive. If Disney pulled the license, FFG would have to destroy any product they were left with after the ending of the license; they would want as little stock on hand as possible. Reprinting everything would be the worst thing to do. This is why FFG/Asmodee had the firesale on Games Workshop products where they were selling $60 RPG books for $5, and I ended up having to buy a new bookshelf after X-Mas.

As well, it would be against any business sense for Disney to pull the license from FFG while they are currently putting out the #1 selling miniatures game. They only way that would happen is if they could somehow "do better than #1" by doing it in-house, which is really hard to imagine anyone signing off on that when FFG has managed to dethrone Games Workshop, which was once thought impossible.

Edited by kris40k

7 hours ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

Listening to the Mynock+Kryats podcast (http://mynockpodcast.libsyn.com/) and someone stated their theory that the coming of the Gunboat means X-Wing is waning. 
No big deal. This isn't a shocking or unrealistic notion - we've all been a bit restless recently and the game's popularity has definitely peaked (assertion).  Then I checked out the Upcoming (print) page:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Take a look. As of the beginning of August, FFG is reprinting just about everything for X-Wing.. I mean, Phantoms and the original Falcon? I can see certain reprints -- Rebel Aces for the sake of the new A-Wing -- but they're reprinting the original Core Set and the Lambda, ffs. This is a standard practice for most product life-cycles: stock the shelves before a phase-out and eventual discontinuation. 

I know people will argue this and that's what I'm looking for, but unless you can call out another point in this game's life-cycle where they reprinted everything, I'm not sure you'll convince me. 

Hi Rinzler,

Not sure about the end of X-Wing - I certainly hope not.

And I'd rather not think of the Gunboat a herald of doom and gloom. There's a thread titled 'The Gunboat is our Saviour' and if what I've been reading so far is on-the-pulse, the Gunboat has provided a boost to morale for Imperial aligned players - a second wind if you will.

As an Armada player, I have never played X-Wing, but my promise to FFG stands. They have rewarded the customer and should be in turned supported for their generosity - so I'll be picking up an X-Wing and Gunboat to learn. I have also been spamming my limited social circles to look into X-Wing.

Remember, it seems, the doomsayers and naysayers are always vocally the loudest on the forums. But it's the mainstream/majority of players that are actually doing their thing and engaging with the game that are in the background.

kris40k likes this

6 hours ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

Listening to the Mynock+Kryats podcast (http://mynockpodcast.libsyn.com/) and someone stated their theory that the coming of the Gunboat means X-Wing is waning. 

I know people will argue this and that's what I'm looking for, but unless you can call out another point in this game's life-cycle where they reprinted everything, I'm not sure you'll convince me. 

Firstly, those guys seem to like their theories out of proportion to any evidence. Secondly;

4 hours ago, Icelom said:

They are running out of stock of a highly profitable game and are printing a bunch more before the holiday season and the new movie in the franchise it's based on.... probably means they are killing the game.

I think I just gave my self a tumor trying to follow that logic.

That pretty much covers it.

14790436878_c758edd2d6_b.jpg

MarekMandalore, Odanan and Kharnete like this