Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rinzler in a Tie

Tin Foil Hat Area: FFG Planning for the End

34 posts in this topic

Listening to the Mynock+Kryats podcast (http://mynockpodcast.libsyn.com/) and someone stated their theory that the coming of the Gunboat means X-Wing is waning. 
No big deal. This isn't a shocking or unrealistic notion - we've all been a bit restless recently and the game's popularity has definitely peaked (assertion).  Then I checked out the Upcoming (print) page:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Take a look. As of the beginning of August, FFG is reprinting just about everything for X-Wing.. I mean, Phantoms and the original Falcon? I can see certain reprints -- Rebel Aces for the sake of the new A-Wing -- but they're reprinting the original Core Set and the Lambda, ffs. This is a standard practice for most product life-cycles: stock the shelves before a phase-out and eventual discontinuation. 

I know people will argue this and that's what I'm looking for, but unless you can call out another point in this game's life-cycle where they reprinted everything, I'm not sure you'll convince me. 

Or they are gearing up for a 2.0 release that can use the old models? 😃 If they do **** can it I will miss the models but not the game so much. Guess it might be time to fill that BF 720 case as aside from the gun boat I wasn't going to buy anything else anyway.

Jetfire likes this

I think it is important to point out, that FFG's operating procedure with a new incoming version of a game, is to let the old stock sell through, no reprints. 

As for mass reprints, I don't have exact dates where its happened before, but I do know it has. 

Top 5 Non-Collectible Miniature Lines – Spring 2017

Title

Publisher

Star Wars X-Wing

ANA/Fantasy Flight Games

Warhammer 40K

Games Workshop

D&D Nolzur’s Marvelous Minis

WizKids

Star Wars Armada

ANA/Fantasy Flight Games

Warmachine

Privateer Press

From:https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/38061/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-games-spring-2017

My Retort:

No.

1 minute ago, Sithborg said:

I think it is important to point out, that FFG's operating procedure with a new incoming version of a game, is to let the old stock sell through, no reprints. 

As for mass reprints, I don't have exact dates where its happened before, but I do know it has. 

What about Assmode? Do we know if they subscribe to that practice? 

Toimu likes this

1 minute ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

What about Assmode? Do we know if they subscribe to that practice? 

I don't know, have you seen a drastic change in how FFG operates? 

Toimu likes this

11 minutes ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

Listening to the Mynock+Kryats podcast (http://mynockpodcast.libsyn.com/) and someone stated their theory that the coming of the Gunboat means X-Wing is waning. 
No big deal. This isn't a shocking or unrealistic notion - we've all been a bit restless recently and the game's popularity has definitely peaked (assertion).  Then I checked out the Upcoming (print) page:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Take a look. As of the beginning of August, FFG is reprinting just about everything for X-Wing.. I mean, Phantoms and the original Falcon? I can see certain reprints -- Rebel Aces for the sake of the new A-Wing -- but they're reprinting the original Core Set and the Lambda, ffs. This is a standard practice for most product life-cycles: stock the shelves before a phase-out and eventual discontinuation. 

I know people will argue this and that's what I'm looking for, but unless you can call out another point in this game's life-cycle where they reprinted everything, I'm not sure you'll convince me. 

I'm confused. Are you saying that it would be a better sign for the games life of they weren't reprinting things that were no longer in stock, and that a company is planning to discontinue a game that is literally the #1 selling game in its category? 

Icelom likes this

Just now, Odanan said:

Agreed. With Star Wars popularity at it's maximum and plenty of new ships (from films) every year, it would be insane to kill the game right now.

Not right now. My point is if they were storing wares for the long-haul, I would not be surprised. 

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, benskywalker said:

I'm confused. Are you saying that it would be a better sign for the games life of they weren't reprinting things that were no longer in stock, and that a company is planning to discontinue a game that is literally the #1 selling game in its category? 

This is a confusing question(s). 
I'm not saying what's best for the game. At all. In no way. 

I'm saying: 

1 minute ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

Not right now. My point is if they were storing wares for the long-haul, I would not be surprised. 

Also, to your point about the #1 game in miniatures. Yes - it is. Yes, it will not be forever. Asmodee plans to outlive this game and will take steps to make as much money off of it as they can. 
Only time will prove if they are moving in a different direction. 

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie

Posted (edited)

Everyone has been clamoring for a reason to believe the game is going down the drain, but it's highly unlikely that with the success their having FFG will make any drastic changes. The only real "big" change I can see as feasible is some new core set release with a huge rules overhaul which would return the game to dogfigthing and cut at the strengths of dominant turrets and bombs.

Edited by Kdubb

20 minutes ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

Just to touch on this bit, if I can randomly speculate alongside you...

...maybe they just wanted to get long out-of-stock things restocked for X-Mas now, since with the new movie coming out, the presses were going to be busy in the 4th quarter with getting TLJ ships out before Dec. 25th.

These had been sitting in the "Awaiting Reprint" section for a pretty long time, they are now being reprinted. I don't see this as the end of the printing but just another cycle in their reprints of older items. Falcon and Tantive had been sold out for a while so those don't surprise me, Lamda I ma not sure but stocks were probably low and I am sure FFG likes to have x-wing runs near x-wing runs as I am sure the machining for these are closer than say the RuneBound setups.

This may very well be the last print of these items, but that is going to be solely dictated on their individual sales, if people buy the Lamda it will be reprinted if they have full stocks it won't. Even if x-wing decreases in sales its still the golden goose and it will be a significant portion for them even after the stop active development. So don't expect to see them stopping printing until AT LEAST they have stopped developing new ships.

i'm sure theyve been heavily out of stock before

This is something that we kinda cant see unless someone kept track of it, and why would they keep track of it?

1 minute ago, PastrySandwich said:

These had been sitting in the "Awaiting Reprint" section for a pretty long time, they are now being reprinted. I don't see this as the end of the printing but just another cycle in their reprints of older items. Falcon and Tantive had been sold out for a while so those don't surprise me, Lamda I ma not sure but stocks were probably low and I am sure FFG likes to have x-wing runs near x-wing runs as I am sure the machining for these are closer than say the RuneBound setups.

This may very well be the last print of these items, but that is going to be solely dictated on their individual sales, if people buy the Lamda it will be reprinted if they have full stocks it won't. Even if x-wing decreases in sales its still the golden goose and it will be a significant portion for them even after the stop active development. So don't expect to see them stopping printing until AT LEAST they have stopped developing new ships.

This. 

Thank you. I totally agree that if we see another print run of the Lambda unless 2.0 uses the same miniatures. There are more SKUs out there - posters think I am saying they fired everyone and shut down the whole LOB. There is probably at least another core set in the works. But, like you said, I think reprinting ships that have become so obsolete (cannot emphasize that enough) is indicative of a business decision. Maybe it's as innocent as wanting to have more of what they don't currently have in stock - or maybe they're looking out for the next generation who may want to get into a discontinued game. They'll still be able to peel open the cellophane on a Tie Phantom pack. 

My argument: many stores are out of stock on numerous ships, or at low stock.  The regular A-wing is at 2 in stock at this very moment in CSI, and the Falcon at 18.  Assuming that their distributor is also low on stock, as well as other distributors, it is only logical to reprint these items.  Low stock indicates that they're selling.

FFG continues to reprint Arkham Horror sets, and they haven't offered anything new for that line for quite a while.  At the same time, the brand new Mansions of Madness Second Edition is out of stock all over the place, so they're already reprinting it. 

Bottom line: FFG will reprint things in order to maintain stock with their distributors on items that sell.  The A-wing is a good example.  I wanted to be able to fly an A-swarm.  To do so does not require extra B-wings or the added cost of buying the Rebel Aces box vs the A-wing Expansion.  I've bought one copy of Rebel Aces, and four A-wings by themselves.  Granted, if I were a competitive player, I might want more Chardaan refits, but us filthy casuals aren't so finicky about either points or officially printed products, so I can proxy extra chardaans or just deal with the 2 points on ships that aren't otherwise using their missile slots, assuming that I don't want to load my A's up with P-rockets or something, of course.

People still BUY the older expansions.  People will still buy the original Core Set.  (If I had to choose between the two, my love of the OT would demand I buy the Core Set that gives me the option to fly Luke Skywalker, as I have more investment in him as a character than I do Poe Dameron, and I seriously doubt if I'm the only one who thinks this way.)

Another point of relevance: X-wing is one of the most well-represented games at organized events.  I've seen cons without any official representation for Armada, Imperial Assault, etc.  The only games that I've come to expect will be at every con I look at are Magic the Gathering, Warhammer (of some kind), Heroclix and X-WING.  That kind of visibility is great for FFG and for the game stores which sponsor events.  The last con I went to had X-wing Regionals, and the absolute best selection of X-wing miniatures was at the booth belonging to the sponsoring FLGS.  In fact, most of their booth space was given to Star Wars in some form, and most of that Star Wars stuff was published by and profiting FFG.

To drop support under such conditions would be absurd.  More likely, FFG is just continuing to reprint money for themselves.

Hexdot and Rinzler in a Tie like this

There is  small chance that it could be indicative of an X-Wing 2.0 or 1.5 update, and that they are reprinting stuff in order to update any components that need it, but I wouldn't bet on it. As people have pointed out, the game is far healthier and stronger than you might expect from browsing these forums.

No, if anything I would say that it's indicative that their manufacturers are (or will soon be) done producing Wave 12 and whatever will be announced on Force Friday, so now they have some free time to run a bunch of reprints before the next big thing drops. 

Icelom and Reiver like this

Heck, FFG is sold out of TIE Phantoms. I planned to play four at the NA Championships but one dial didn't make it. I tried to buy another direct from the FFG both, on Thursday, BEFORE the hall opened (Exhibitor badge) and they had NONE on the shelf. I asked and they said it was totally out of stock at the moment. The reprints are totally warranted at the moment, not because they are trying to stock pile anything prior to shutting down production.

Sithborg likes this

They are running out of stock of a highly profitable game and are printing a bunch more before the holiday season and the new movie in the franchise it's based on.... probably means they are killing the game.

I think I just gave my self a tumor trying to follow that logic.

PanchoX1, NotBatman, GLEXOR and 3 others like this