CitizenKeen

Homebrewing Course Correct

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, DarthDude said:

While warbows which are relatively leight weighted need a lot of brawn. Not speaking of those hunting bows with less penetration, talking of actual warbows used in battlefield situations.

I'd keep agility as the main attribute weapons but apply a minimum brawn prerequisite needed to operate the weapons without malus or being able to operate it at all.

Assuming most of the named item Qualities which aren't specific to the lore of a Galaxy Far Far Away carry over, I'd assign bows the Cumbersome Quality, which does more or less what you describe. Then leave heavy weapons with Brawn, but give them the Unwieldy quality, achieving an inverse of bows that roughly fits how weapons are used. And potentially the Prepare or Slow-Firing Qualities to crossbows, requiring a manuever to "reload" either before shooting or immediately after.

I might make bows and longbows deal damage like Brawn weapons (e.g. add your Brawn and successes to deal damage) or allow a player to spend 2 advantages to add Brawn rating to damage dealt with bows (Talent on a specialization tree).

Edited by sfRattan
DarthDude likes this

Posted (edited)

Eh. If I can do something with rules that already exist (e.g. item/weapon qualities) to make things more realistic, not adding fundamental complexity to the game, I will.

But I agree 100% that new (especially special case) rules in pursuit of simulationism are the wrong approach for a system like Genesys.

Edited by sfRattan
DarthDude likes this

1 minute ago, Blackbird888 said:

Chasing realism like that is futility. It never, ever ends. Trust me.

Beginning to branch skills like melee into a multitude of sub skill tied to different attributes that is opposed to realism for sake of artifical deversity  would overcomplicate the nicely simple mechanism that exists now in SW. No matter with fighting large or small weapons, wou will always need accuracy, what would be agility in Genesys. The idea to use the cumbersome quality should take the size sufficiently into account.

Just saying, don't overcomplicate skills for sake of diversity if it isn't even covered by realism. Have seen rather slim guys handling halberds with deadly accuracy and blinding speed. 

3 minutes ago, sfRattan said:

Eh. If I can do something with rules that already exist (e.g. item/weapon qualities) to make things more realistic, not adding fundamental complexity to the game, I will.

But I agree 100% that new (especially special case) rules in pursuit of simulationism are the wrong approach for a system like Genesys.

You responded more quickly :D But exactly what I wanted to tell. 

sfRattan likes this