Jump to content
Sir13scott

Force Friday

Recommended Posts

No idea what it is going to be, but I'm rooting for an entirely new game worth playing since new x-wing stuff is a guarantee anyways. A Star Wars Catan would be cool since I don't already own Catan. A solo/coop Star Wars LCG or a Star Wars Deckbuilder would be my top 2 options if I had a choice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, benskywalker said:

No idea what it is going to be, but I'm rooting for an entirely new game worth playing since new x-wing stuff is a guarantee anyways. A Star Wars Catan would be cool since I don't already own Catan. A solo/coop Star Wars LCG or a Star Wars Deckbuilder would be my top 2 options if I had a choice.

 

So long as it's a Star Wars game that doesn't require expansions I'd consider buying it. My wallet can only take one game with expansions at a time... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A core set with two TIEs and the Havoc would give two players the ability to play all three factions:

Nym (Reb) vs Imp TIEs

Scurrg (Scum) vs IMP or Reb TIEs

 

 

an all Scum Core would be nice too, Maybe two Scyks and a Fang.  Scum vs Scum is always more believable than Imp vs Imp or Reb vs Reb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if it's a $30 x-wing product I suspect it's a new budget core made for the mass market. it would be two beefy ships with some interesting scenario that involved more cardboard token elements. perhaps kylo's tie and a resitince bomber. 

but I doubt it is that. the most likely thing is a mass market push for Star Wars destiny, $30 would be right on target for a two player starter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

if it's a $30 x-wing product I suspect it's a new budget core made for the mass market. it would be two beefy ships with some interesting scenario that involved more cardboard token elements. perhaps kylo's tie and a resitince bomber. 

but I doubt it is that. the most likely thing is a mass market push for Star Wars destiny, $30 would be right on target for a two player starter. 

Doesn't have to be 'beefy' ships, just equivalent in size and capability.

TIE Silencer (Kylo's TIE) and the Resistance A-Wing (apparently TLJ-Luke flies one) would work perfectly as a smaller/intro-type core set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Doesn't have to be 'beefy' ships, just equivalent in size and capability.

TIE Silencer (Kylo's TIE) and the Resistance A-Wing (apparently TLJ-Luke flies one) would work perfectly as a smaller/intro-type core set.

Particularly if they turn out to have similar flying styles. Kind of an "Ace" style core set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

Particularly if they turn out to have similar flying styles. Kind of an "Ace" style core set.

And there is plenty you could do to trim the core set down.

I mean, right off, 2 models instead of 3 could explain the $30 cost instead of the typical-$40 for a core set.  But you'd already be well on the way to eliminating one of the cardboard sheets - no action tokens needed for a third ship, no numbers or maneuver dial for it, etc.  Pretty easy to finish taking that sheet out if you reduce the number of obstacles, which would make sense given a 1 vs 1 match probably needs a smaller play area, anyway.

So design this 'intro core set' for 2' x 2' play area, only 3 obstacles included, only 2 ships.  Heck, it's an intro game - don't even bother with a damage deck.  "Intro" rules treat crits as regular hits, so all you need to do is count hits, and you hardly need a deck of cards for that.  Indeed, eliminate the 'small' cards entirely from the pack by having no upgrades, as well.  Now you're looking at something that could even be a smaller box than the standard core sets (and retailers LOVE it when you reduce how much shelf space your product takes up)!

...and you'd end up with something that you wouldn't feel you'd be getting unnecessary duplication if you bought simultaneous with either regular core set

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, xanderf said:

And there is plenty you could do to trim the core set down.

I mean, right off, 2 models instead of 3 could explain the $30 cost instead of the typical-$40 for a core set.  But you'd already be well on the way to eliminating one of the cardboard sheets - no action tokens needed for a third ship, no numbers or maneuver dial for it, etc.  Pretty easy to finish taking that sheet out if you reduce the number of obstacles, which would make sense given a 1 vs 1 match probably needs a smaller play area, anyway.

So design this 'intro core set' for 2' x 2' play area, only 3 obstacles included, only 2 ships.  Heck, it's an intro game - don't even bother with a damage deck.  "Intro" rules treat crits as regular hits, so all you need to do is count hits, and you hardly need a deck of cards for that.  Indeed, eliminate the 'small' cards entirely from the pack by having no upgrades, as well.  Now you're looking at something that could even be a smaller box than the standard core sets (and retailers LOVE it when you reduce how much shelf space your product takes up)!

...and you'd end up with something that you wouldn't feel you'd be getting unnecessary duplication if you bought simultaneous with either regular core set

I like everything except the whole "no damage deck" thing. That part is bad because it forces a new player to buy another different core set in addition to the new one. Might as well not include the dice, templates, ruler, rule book, or quick start guide! Damage deck is a must.

edit: You also need some upgrades, mabye two Autothrusters, a missile, two EPTs, and a couple techs, for a total of seven upgrade cards.

Edited by GLEXOR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, xanderf said:

And there is plenty you could do to trim the core set down.

I mean, right off, 2 models instead of 3 could explain the $30 cost instead of the typical-$40 for a core set.  But you'd already be well on the way to eliminating one of the cardboard sheets - no action tokens needed for a third ship, no numbers or maneuver dial for it, etc.  Pretty easy to finish taking that sheet out if you reduce the number of obstacles, which would make sense given a 1 vs 1 match probably needs a smaller play area, anyway.

So design this 'intro core set' for 2' x 2' play area, only 3 obstacles included, only 2 ships.  Heck, it's an intro game - don't even bother with a damage deck.  "Intro" rules treat crits as regular hits, so all you need to do is count hits, and you hardly need a deck of cards for that.  Indeed, eliminate the 'small' cards entirely from the pack by having no upgrades, as well.  Now you're looking at something that could even be a smaller box than the standard core sets (and retailers LOVE it when you reduce how much shelf space your product takes up)!

...and you'd end up with something that you wouldn't feel you'd be getting unnecessary duplication if you bought simultaneous with either regular core set

The problem with this is that the way they stand today, the core sets are already just barely an intro to the game, already. Now you want an even smaller "Intro set" that doesn't even include the full game?

We all want a way to get more ships cheaper, but marketing-wise, I think it would be a bad idea to strip it down even further when you still need to buy the core set to really play, anyway.

It'd be great if they released a two ship pack, that might even be what they're doing, but you just can't call it a core set (or similar). Plus, you take out the weirdly redundant pieces (dice, obstacles, whatever) and that more space for a proper two ship expansion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Crit Happens said:

I don't think they can make the starter box smaller because of the range ruler. 

Unless they put in a plastic one players assemble.

but I doubt they would make the physical box different just less stuff in the box.

Edited by TylerTT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how well the last mass market core set push went as It ended up heavily discounted. Maybe they want to try again at a cheaper price point? Maybe they outsource the model making to a much cheaper outfit like micro machines. Maybe they do something really crazy like turn the damage deck into a multi use deck of dice and crit damage deck?

But again I'm guessing they would prioritize destiny over x-wing. Or do both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

Maybe they outsource the model making to a much cheaper outfit like micro machines

Maybe this is just because FFG has spoiled me, but I just looked at my family collection of micro machines yesterday and was surprised at how awful they looked, I don't think having micro machines do it is a great plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GLEXOR said:

Maybe this is just because FFG has spoiled me, but I just looked at my family collection of micro machines yesterday and was surprised at how awful they looked, I don't think having micro machines do it is a great plan.

micromachines went to crap, I've seen their stuff now and you would never believe that they once made stuff on par with the x-wing miniatures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Skandranon said:

micromachines went to crap, I've seen their stuff now and you would never believe that they once made stuff on par with the x-wing miniatures.

I was talking about the older and the newer, will post photos soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...