Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flightmaster101

The Runecasters are now on YouTube!

16 posts in this topic

Cool stuff, thanks for these! :)

Are you letting the Defender choose the die to remove for Blight? I think it is the attacker who does that 

20 minutes ago, Uthoroc said:

Cool stuff, thanks for these! :)

Are you letting the Defender choose the die to remove for Blight? I think it is the attacker who does that 

No, Josh would never take a white die off Hawthorne. 😀

Posted (edited)

But Josh gets to choose as he is the attacker at that moment.

Also, archers can't shoot when engaged, they have to melee. EDIT: Ah, I missed the upgrade that allowed them to do that.

Edited by Uthoroc
flightmaster101 likes this

Josh was playing Daqan, if I'm thinking of the right instance.  Me ( as waiqar) removed Hawthorne's white dice.

If it's a different instance I don't specifically remember.

49 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Josh was playing Daqan, if I'm thinking of the right instance.  Me ( as waiqar) removed Hawthorne's white dice.

Yeah, I think @jek is right here. If Hawthorne is attacking me, and I spend  the blight token from him, my opponent in control of Hawthorne gets to choose which die is lost, not me.

Uthoroc likes this

Great work, guys! I appreciate the birds-eye-view of the field, and the discussion of what's going on.

Also, It never occurred to me that Close Quarters Targeting would allow it to shoot units you are not engaged with. It says you can shoot enemies you are engaged with, but it doesn't say you can shoot any enemy units while engaged. Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick, but it fundamentally changes how that upgrade works, imo. Would love to hear opinions from others.

6 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Yeah, I think @jek is right here. If Hawthorne is attacking me, and I spend  the blight token from him, my opponent in control of Hawthorne gets to choose which die is lost, not me.

I mean I'm not going to argue as, spirit me is correct that the defender chooses which die to remove, which is why stacking all teh blight through CI is so nasty, but if I'm not needed for arguments and rules questions why am I here? lol Now I will return to slumber for another thousand years!

1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

Great work, guys! I appreciate the birds-eye-view of the field, and the discussion of what's going on.

Also, It never occurred to me that Close Quarters Targeting would allow it to shoot units you are not engaged with. It says you can shoot enemies you are engaged with, but it doesn't say you can shoot any enemy units while engaged. Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick, but it fundamentally changes how that upgrade works, imo. Would love to hear opinions from others.

That is because I'm on elevated terrain, not the upgrade.

No, I get that. You could shoot the horses through the Rune Golems because the Reanimate Archers were on elevated terrain.

I'm thinking of rule 65.2: "A unit cannot perform a ranged attack if it is engaged."

Normally, the Reanimate Archers would be obligated to attack either Lord Hawthorne or the Rune Golems, but only using their single red die for their melee attack. Because they are equipped with Close Quarters Targeting, they may instead use their ranged attack profile of 1 red die and 1 blue die:

"[Ranged Attack] You can target enemies engaged with you."

I do not believe the card allows the Reanimate Archers unit to make a ranged attack against units that it is not engaged with, meaning that the cavalry would not be legal targets, even if the archers had line of sight (which they do, because of the elevated keyword).

But I acknowledge that I could be the one misinterpreting the rule, and I thought I'd ask for some clarification here, rather than start a whole new topic in the Rules Questions forum. Thanks for your patience as I try to state my question clearly. Videos like yours are a great way for us as a community to discuss the various intricacies of the rules, as well as learning new tactics. Thanks for your hard work!

Just now, Parakitor said:

No, I get that. You could shoot the horses through the Rune Golems because the Reanimate Archers were on elevated terrain.

I'm thinking of rule 65.2: "A unit cannot perform a ranged attack if it is engaged."

Normally, the Reanimate Archers would be obligated to attack either Lord Hawthorne or the Rune Golems, but only using their single red die for their melee attack. Because they are equipped with Close Quarters Targeting, they may instead use their ranged attack profile of 1 red die and 1 blue die:

I do not believe the card allows the Reanimate Archers unit to make a ranged attack against units that it is not engaged with, meaning that the cavalry would not be legal targets, even if the archers had line of sight (which they do, because of the elevated keyword).

But I acknowledge that I could be the one misinterpreting the rule, and I thought I'd ask for some clarification here, rather than start a whole new topic in the Rules Questions forum. Thanks for your patience as I try to state my question clearly. Videos like yours are a great way for us as a community to discuss the various intricacies of the rules, as well as learning new tactics. Thanks for your hard work!

I would read the rule the same way.  It doesn't say "You may make ranged attacks while engaged"  It only specifically breaks the rules for units engaged with you.

Parakitor likes this

1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

I think this is the way the rule is handled, you can still only attack the target you are engaged with, though now you can use all the ranged abilities that you have IE blight, fire rune, etc..

7 hours ago, Drakthal said:

Your list says 2x 4 tray reanimate units, however from the battleground one of them is 6 trays. Just fyi ;)

It's possible Ankaur Maro has added trays (I haven't watched video yet).