Ragudaddy

Played Genesys demo at Gencon, ask away.

5 minutes ago, TechnoGolem said:

Not sure if I like leaving it to just 4 classes. It seems very limited despite knowing it could offer a huge range of options when you factor in modifiers.

You mean the four archetypes? The archetypes are not the classes/careers. They are the species, or the base stat options.

Just now, Blackbird888 said:

You mean the four archetypes? The archetypes are not the classes/careers. They are the species, or the base stat options.

Yes. It's a problem with RPGs. There are so many systems using the same word to mean slightly different things. Can get a little confusing when talking about a new system.

3 hours ago, TechnoGolem said:

Yes. It's a problem with RPGs. There are so many systems using the same word to mean slightly different things. Can get a little confusing when talking about a new system.

Same here :) 

But as you do, I hope there will be a free point buy by XP of skills and talents. And those talents will hopefully not structured in specializations, rather smaller trees of talents which are related.

September is coming. So I hope there will be new official info soon :D 

3 hours ago, CarrotandStick said:

I'm actually hoping to use this system to run Starfinder, because I absolutely love the idea but bleargh d20. Thanks for the info you've shared. =)

I'm not into Starfinder yet, no time to read, but I really like Pathfinder and I'm like you right now, I love the idea but the system, at least the rolls and the power construction is... bleargh :/ I'm playing d20 for... 15 years. They could try something new. The scenario is fine, the options to create characters are amazing, but the system needs more simplicity and heroism.

15 hours ago, Bellyon said:

I'm not into Starfinder yet, no time to read, but I really like Pathfinder and I'm like you right now, I love the idea but the system, at least the rolls and the power construction is... bleargh :/ I'm playing d20 for... 15 years. They could try something new. The scenario is fine, the options to create characters are amazing, but the system needs more simplicity and heroism.

The setting is absolutely gonzo amazing, and by mashing together the available tropes of fantasy and science fiction you get a whole new set of recombinant story possibilities. Feuding Dwarven asteroid miners. Halfling and Elven shamans arguing over how to rehabilitate a barren planet. Demon cult with an "I Can't Believe It's Not a Death Star!" and so forth. Basically, take any fantasy plot, blend it with a science fiction plot, and BOOM: Starfinder. It's like peanut butter and chocolate man, I can't wait to run it. I'm thinking of brute forcing in the True20 health system as a hack and just running it as is because oh man.

6 hours ago, CarrotandStick said:

The setting is absolutely gonzo amazing, and by mashing together the available tropes of fantasy and science fiction you get a whole new set of recombinant story possibilities. Feuding Dwarven asteroid miners. Halfling and Elven shamans arguing over how to rehabilitate a barren planet. Demon cult with an "I Can't Believe It's Not a Death Star!" and so forth. Basically, take any fantasy plot, blend it with a science fiction plot, and BOOM: Starfinder. It's like peanut butter and chocolate man, I can't wait to run it. I'm thinking of brute forcing in the True20 health system as a hack and just running it as is because oh man.

Wait... I thought Starfinder had different races?

5 hours ago, CitizenKeen said:

Ah. So, as discussed elsewhere, a goldmine for Fantasy Flight's own Dragonstar setting.

Yup. The former hive mind bug people who are now addicted to decision making and the rodent people (who are basically Rocket from Guardians of the Galaxy) who can store a dozen or so grenades in their cheek pouch are awesome hilarity. I can't remember a setting giving me so many glee-inducing ideas before.

4 hours ago, copperbell said:

So no plans on releasing the demo being played on You tube or with a podcast?

No one attempted to record any of the sessions of "The Haunted City" that I ran while at GenCon.

1 hour ago, DarthGM said:

No one attempted to record any of the sessions of "The Haunted City" that I ran while at GenCon.

I wonder if hosting an online game that could be recorded would violate any sort of agreements. Obviously the contents of the demos are not bound by any sort of NDA, but how far is too far, you know?

What is the Cool skill? Why is it linked with présence and not willpower? Is resiliance like Constitution or toughness? How Vigilence diffrent then perception? Is Deception allways negative or it is like persuasion? Coordination is unlike agility?

Thanks! 

23 minutes ago, player1303422 said:

What is the Cool skill? Why is it linked with présence and not willpower? Is resiliance like Constitution or toughness? How Vigilence diffrent then perception? Is Deception allways negative or it is like persuasion? Coordination is unlike agility?

Cool is like a measure of you're character's cool-headedness. It's how well you can keep your composure, especially in social situations, but is also one of two skills used to check initiative. It's linked to Presence because it's a measure of demeanor and force of personality, somewhat different from how Willpower is used.

Resilience is more or less constitution. It literally measures a character's physical resilience. It is the key skill in resisting poisons, and is also used when a character goes for long periods of time without food, water, and sleep. It also checks exposure to the elements.

Vigilance is kind of tricky. I liken it to passive awareness, whereas Perception is active awareness. It also can be used to check a character's preparedness. I've also seen it used to check a character's recollection. It appears that Vigilance is being used to oppose Deception now.

Deception covers lying, but also covers disguises and even leaving a false trail in a chase or pursuit. Most uses, though, is social.

Agility is a stat, representing a character's reflexes and precision. Coordination is a skill; it's probably the least used (to me), and often gets sidelined by Athletics. It's used for balancing (like across a narrow ledge or tight rope), squeezing through tight spaces (such as shimming through a vent), tumbling from falls, and slipping free of bindings. I like to use it for other physical activities that can't be brute forced, such as running through a crowd, moving across slippery or sloped surfaces, or catching something. I also like to use it for some forms of climbing, though by RAW that is under the purview of Athletics.

Thanks @Blackbird888 I find it clunky when a Characteristic is also a Skill. I have to better know the system before making an opinion.

As of now, from the character sheet, the Presence Characteristic and the Cool Skill could be the same thing. Spending points to have a high Presence and a high Cool is redundant.

I saw that in the Savage World, prior edition, when there was the Attribute (Characteristic) Spirit and the Skill Guts. When building a Barbarian, you had to invest your points in the Skill Guts to not be afraid when time comes to fighting a monster. That expense in Guts, had an effect in that this character can’t fight well cause too few points to put in the fighting skill.

I will have to read the book to know, but it raises a concern for me…

3 minutes ago, player1303422 said:

Thanks @Blackbird888 I find it clunky when a Characteristic is also a Skill. I have to better know the system before making an opinion.

As of now, from the character sheet, the Presence Characteristic and the Cool Skill could be the same thing. Spending points to have a high Presence and a high Cool is redundant.

I saw that in the Savage World, prior edition, when there was the Attribute (Characteristic) Spirit and the Skill Guts. When building a Barbarian, you had to invest your points in the Skill Guts to not be afraid when time comes to fighting a monster. That expense in Guts, had an effect in that this character can’t fight well cause too few points to put in the fighting skill.

I will have to read the book to know, but it raises a concern for me…

The system is designed a little differently than others. Unlike other systems, you only ever make skill checks, not characteristic (or stat) checks. You may be asked to make a Cool check, but will never be asked to make a Presence check. If you have 0 in Cool, you'll be basing your roll off of your Presence, but you're still making a Cool check. Except for magic (which is a new addition), there are no restrictions on using untrained skill checks, other than that they are untrained.

The question of characteristic or skill? is a matter of preference. Going for a high stat means you will be functional in all those skills, even if they are untrained, while going for a high skill is more limited, but you can compensate for a low stat. It makes for dynamic and unique character builds.

4 minutes ago, player1303422 said:

@Blackbird888 is there a place you know where I could find the definition of each characteristic and skill I could read right away or I am doomed to waite for the official book to be published? 

Try searching for "Star Wars: Under a Black Sun". It is a free PDF with an abridged description of the rules used in the Star Wars RPG, which Genesys is based upon. It should give you a solid idea.

To clarify it further, whenever you make a skill check you take the Ranks you have in that skill and compare it to the value of the Characteristic mated with that Skill. The larger of the two numbers is how many green Ability dice (8-sided) you are rolling in your favor. The smaller of the two numbers is how many of those dice are changed to yellow Proficiency dice (12 sided). Each type of die has one blank side, so your odds of rolling nothing on a die are less with a Proficiency die, plus the Proficiency die is the only way to generate a Triumph result (which results in a very awesome and beneficial effect in your favor, no matter if you succeed or fail the check). 

So a Cool check is called, and you have a Presence of 3 and 1 Rank in Cool, you'd roll one yellow Proficiency die and two green Ability dice. The GM then assigns the opposing difficulty dice and you roll them all together to see how the check resolves.

You can roll Cool based off of your raw Presence characteristic, and if you have a Presence of 3 or more you'll still be fairly good at it. You'd be rolling three green Ability dice on the above Cool check.

Again, you would NEVER, EVER make a Brawn, Agility, Intellect, Cunning, Willpower, or Presence check by itself. Any time you make a check in the Narrative Dice System you are rolling a skill check, which if you have no Ranks in defaults to a skill check using only green Ability dice equal to the particular Characteristic the skill is tied to.  Maybe you've got a great Presence stat, but never really put much work or have any natural talent at keeping your Cool, you're much better at Charm or Negotiation over the refined ability of composure and maintaining your calm.  Someone else might be okay at Charm (no ranks, but high Presence) but much more skilled at maintaining a Steve McQueen-level of calm demeanor in just about any situation.