Ragudaddy

Played Genesys demo at Gencon, ask away.

often in this sort of demo game that pre-gen characters are not actually "pre-generated" but more a cutout of what the character concept will be like, once they nail down character creation.

The characters are not a result of the character generation rules, they are a potential target for those rules.

23 minutes ago, DarthDude said:

It was told, there where four general templates, I assume something like a warrior/soldier, a rogue/spy, a cleric/priest and a caster/scholar. If you tie the ability to a class, would you have to start in case of the eldritch knight as a mage and branch out to combat skills? What if you start as a rogue but want to tap into spell weaving later on? Will it be barred to you? Will you be able to "purchase" another class to obtain the ability to cast?

The archetype was supposedly referring to the Species choice from Star Wars, not the Career section. In some settings all "species" choices will be humans so "archetype" was chosen as a more generic name.

How those 4 archetypes differ is yet to be seen but from a characteristics stand point there are 3 main spreads (actual order changes obviously) in SW:

2/2/2/2/2/2

3/2/2/2/2/1

1/1/1/1/1/1

a fourth option could be

3/3/2/2/1/1

or 

4/2/2/2/1/1

Then each of the options gains a number of skills, talents, Wound and Strain to fit. I would expect a robust set of guidelines on how to build these ourselves.

On 22/08/2017 at 1:14 PM, 2P51 said:

range-bands.jpg

I believe that this model isn't good enough to help players understant the real situation during a combat or something like that. We can just put in topics the range dificult and the engaged modificators, but using this to track everyone in combat seems impossible to me.

My answer to this p´roblem is a hexagonal grid with big hexagons, like this example I'm using here. I've created two examples just to help. The blue numbers could be the players and the red numbers could be the enemies. If they are in the same hexagon, they're engaged. For each hex of distance, follow: engaged -> short -> medium -> long -> extreme.

In the 1st scenario we have players 1 and 2 both engaged with enemy 5. Player 4 are next, in the short range but he's also at this distance from 3, 6 and 7. 3 and 7 are engaged, but they're at the medium range from 1, 2, 5 and 6.

In the 2nd scenario we have player 1 and 2 trading shots with enemy 4. But they had a cover provided by the player 3 which is at the long distance from 4 and at the extreme distance from 5.

Edited by Bellyon

If you come from D&D, an option is to set distances to ranges, in order to make it visual to the players. Engaged is adjacent, Short range is up to 6 squares, Medium up to 12, long up to 24 and extreme is beyond... It helps with minis, and my group like them. 

8 hours ago, Solkar77 said:

If you come from D&D, an option is to set distances to ranges, in order to make it visual to the players. Engaged is adjacent, Short range is up to 6 squares, Medium up to 12, long up to 24 and extreme is beyond... It helps with minis, and my group like them. 

I'm a fan of the Chessex 2" maps for this kind of gaming.

1 hour ago, DarthDude said:

I wonder, would Genesys fit to the Guardians of the Galaxy setting?

I suppose it depends whether you are thinking film version or comics version. The film version of the characters are capable but not 'super'. In the comic books some of the Guardians are really powerful. 

The book professes to address sci-fi, but not supers I think?

1 hour ago, dbm_ said:

I suppose it depends whether you are thinking film version or comics version. The film version of the characters are capable but not 'super'. In the comic books some of the Guardians are really powerful. 

The book professes to address sci-fi, but not supers I think?

Rather the film version, I'm not so into playing supers, those I reserve for NPC roles. The only exception would be a Power Rangers setting for my son and at least when morphed they can get quite powerful. I wonder if morphing will be covered as well, like lycanthrophy.

That would be under "Primal" magic I would think.

Super Powers should be covered eventually, I think there will need to be some talents to do it justice. But as a starting point simply removing the Strain cost of magic would get close. Still rolling dice to hit is important and things like Threat will still wear your character down. 

The Human torch can fly all day, Spider-Man doesn't get tired and give up the web slinging chase, Hulk stays mad until the jobs done, wolverine doesn't stop healing... unless the story requires it and that's usually because of a Despair.

Can supers be done? Yes. Will it be fun? Definitely! Will FFG make a book for it?My eldest son hopes so, otherwise it will be his first experience at hacking a system!

3 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

That would be under "Primal" magic I would think.

Super Powers should be covered eventually, I think there will need to be some talents to do it justice. But as a starting point simply removing the Strain cost of magic would get close. Still rolling dice to hit is important and things like Threat will still wear your character down. 

The Human torch can fly all day, Spider-Man doesn't get tired and give up the web slinging chase, Hulk stays mad until the jobs done, wolverine doesn't stop healing... unless the story requires it and that's usually because of a Despair.

Can supers be done? Yes. Will it be fun? Definitely! Will FFG make a book for it?My eldest son hopes so, otherwise it will be his first experience at hacking a system!

I'm really hoping for a supers tool kit for the system. 

1 hour ago, jan-michael-vincent said:

A little out of left filed:

Did you see any licencing or copyright information on your game materials? Myself and others have wondered what would the licencing be for the game system if FFG is looking to run a generic system.

Oddly enough, there weren't...

45 minutes ago, TechnoGolem said:

Part of me would love to see licensed material, like Fallout. It would be nice to have something official for those settings.

But part of me thinks it is a terrible idea due to various licensing issues. Such as it running out and that line having to end.

Yes, but I feel at this point FFG have a pretty solid business case for benefitting the IP more than the IP benefit them. Star Wars is a profitable and critically acclaimed gaming line. The system is being spun off to be generic in the best possible way.

If you're Bethesda or whomever's been diluting the RP experience in Fallout for the benefit of the console crowd, then you're going 'well people can do this without us, but if we're involved we clip the ticket on each book sold." It's risk-free brand investment at this point.

FFG understand very well that who love SW system want to play more things using the system, it's why they're creating Genesys. It said, they also know mostly players are confortable with few scenarios, cause everyone has it's own preferences. Would be hard also to see official scenarios from other systems doing material for Genesys, it's insane despite the sucess of the system. It will be easier to see these companies trying to copy elements from Genesys than something else... would be the better market move, because no one wants to see just one company in the market.

We can see already some material using the hack-i-don't-know-what, and we'll see much more after Genesys. Even if they have a hard license, we'll see a lot of adaptations and fan made material, they know that. Like I've said before, particularly I like scenarios like D&D, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Iron Kingdons, Legend of the Five Rings... of course FFG can create new scenarios with elements in comom, maybe they already has, I just know SW from FFG. Maybe they don't need scenarios, it's possible to create suplements, with more generic tematic material... maybe we don't need this, maybe Genesys has enough meat. This forum will explode in 2018, just it.

10 hours ago, Bellyon said:

FFG understand very well that who love SW system want to play more things using the system, it's why they're creating Genesys. It said, they also know mostly players are confortable with few scenarios, cause everyone has it's own preferences. Would be hard also to see official scenarios from other systems doing material for Genesys, it's insane despite the sucess of the system. It will be easier to see these companies trying to copy elements from Genesys than something else... would be the better market move, because no one wants to see just one company in the market.

We can see already some material using the hack-i-don't-know-what, and we'll see much more after Genesys. Even if they have a hard license, we'll see a lot of adaptations and fan made material, they know that. Like I've said before, particularly I like scenarios like D&D, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Iron Kingdons, Legend of the Five Rings... of course FFG can create new scenarios with elements in comom, maybe they already has, I just know SW from FFG. Maybe they don't need scenarios, it's possible to create suplements, with more generic tematic material... maybe we don't need this, maybe Genesys has enough meat. This forum will explode in 2018, just it.

This is what I hope happens.  FFG can generate tons of content by letting others develop it for them. There's no need to worry about losing a licence (thanks Games Workshop..) if there's no license to begin with. It's contract free cooperation.

As long as FFG makes the OGL in such a way that states every splatbook "is not an independent game and must be used with the Genesys core book" then it means that their core book sells and they don't have to spend a penny for the Fall Out/Bioshock/Tales of the Riverbank supplement. Furthermore, with genre toolkits, anyone who wants to do a setting book can just add "...and XYZ Genesys Genre Guides" to the above statement.

The irony if they don't do this is that all the properties that people are pushing to be brought back (Dragonstar, et al) had exactly this set up with DnD 3.whatever Edition. And it was this openers that led that edition also becoming a zeitgeist, but this time it wouldn't be just core books but dive and setting supplimemts as well.

I think they can create archetypes for classes and races easily, to use in all settings.

CLASSES/PROFESSIONS:

We can think in 4 (classic games) starting options:

• Warrior/Infantary/Soldier/Paladin/Mercenary: who hold the damage and hit in the face.
  • Rogue/Scout/Spy/Ranger/Assassin: who do the precise strike and stay out of sight.
  • Cleric/Druid/Support/Medic/Engineer: who save the party and modify the nature of the things around.
  • Caster/Strategist/Hacker/Politician/Colonist: who create new things from nothing and **** with your mind.

RACES/SPECIES:

(Thanks Richardbuxton!) Just based on the models of Star Wars, we can have 3 starting models:

2/2/2/2/2/2 and 3/2/2/2/2/1 (30 possible combinations) and 1/1/1/1/1/1 (usually a droid, golem, undead, thing, etc.)

It's possible to have more options (personaly I haven't saw any of these before), as someone said, like:

3/3/2/2/1/1 (72 possible combinations) or 4/2/2/2/1/1 (60 possible combinations)

* I hope my math is right :D

Edited by Bellyon

4 minutes ago, Bellyon said:

I think they can create archetypes for classes and races easily, to use in all settings.

CLASSES/PROFESSIONS:

We can think in 4 (classic games) starting options:

• Warrior/Infantary/Soldier/Paladin/Mercenary: who hold the damage and hit in the face.
  • Rogue/Scout/Spy/Ranger/Assassin: who do the precise strike and stay out of sight.
  • Cleric/Druid/Support/Medic/Engineer: who save the party and modify the nature of the things around.
  • Caster/Strategist/Hacker/Politician/Colonist: who create new things from nothing and **** with your mind.

RACES/SPECIES:

Just based on the models of Star Wars, we can have 3 starting models:

2/2/2/2/2/2 and 3/2/2/2/2/1 (30 possible combinations) and 1/1/1/1/1/1 (usually a droid, golem, undead, thing, etc.)

It's possible to have more options (personaly I haven't saw any of these before), as someone said, like:

3/3/2/2/1/1 (72 possible combinations) or 4/2/2/2/1/1 (60 possible combinations)

* I hope my math is right :D

Very niceley re-engineered :) 

14 minutes ago, Bellyon said:

xD reading my addons to the four classes, can you see now that is possible to use in all settings? We can talk about this, it's a good topic :D

My words :D In fact classes, item creation , vehicles and so on are pretty system agnostic. As is magic, super powers, psi and such. I am very optimistic, that you can already do much with the core rulebook. Yeah, splatbooks would be the icing on the cake, but the core rulebook will do just fine for starters :) 

Not sure if I like leaving it to just 4 classes. It seems very limited despite knowing it could offer a huge range of options when you factor in modifiers.

Maybe it would be best to say there is no classes but it's just a point based system that you buy anything you want for a set number of points. You could have a list of very rough jobs that have already spent points on important skills or abilities and have some leftover points that could be used for anything.