Duke2000

1st Place North American Championship (Gencon) battle report

Thanks for the battle report.  I also learned the value of terrain on closing approach this weekend.  I wasn't paying attention, first terrain was the swamp,which went dead center, so I put spikes on one of the edges halfway inbetweeen.  My opponent did the same, and now my spearstar was 100% stuck to one side for the whole match.

Turn 0 is really important in this game in regard to terrain and big units!

2 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Well maybe he's smarter than I am and could figure out how you pm someone.

Hi, I just saw this and was trying to send you a PM but it says that you cannot receive messages.  Perhaps there's a setting in your profile blocking PMs?  Otherwise I think you can just hover your mouse over the username and click the Message button.

DJ

23 minutes ago, Duke2000 said:

Hi, I just saw this and was trying to send you a PM but it says that you cannot receive messages.  Perhaps there's a setting in your profile blocking PMs?  Otherwise I think you can just hover your mouse over the username and click the Message button.

DJ

Found it!  Appearently there is a slew of stuff that I didn't reset when they switched to Amodee's system.  How long ago was that?  Sheesh, get it together me.

4 hours ago, Duke2000 said:

The list:

Oathsworn Cavalry x6 [46]
--Training: Moment of Inspiration [5]
----------Total Unit Cost: 51

Oathsworn Cavalry x6 [46]
--Training: Moment of Inspiration [5]
----------Total Unit Cost: 51

Lord Hawthorne x1 [34]
--Artifact: Shield of Margath [6]
--Unique: Might of Daqan [4]
----------Total Unit Cost: 44

Spearmen x2 [18]
--Music: Rallying Cornicen [4]
----------Total Unit Cost: 22

Rune Golems x2 [28]
----------Total Unit Cost: 28

The total points for this list is 196 points.

At it's cheapest, this is a $255 army. Unless borrowing pieces obviously... (and that's assuming you purchased the core set from another website that offers it at $70).

Edited by Curlycross

23 minutes ago, Curlycross said:

At it's cheapest, this is a $255 army. Unless borrowing pieces obviously... (and that's assuming you purchased the core set from another website that offers it at $70).

2 core, 2 oathsworn, hawthorne, command.  Trade out all your useless skeles. So if you have access to 70$ cores, much cheaper as wouldn't that make the expansions a load cheaper than 25?  It would cost me 300 CAD and tax.  We do not have access to 70$ cores. 

Edited by Darthain

1 minute ago, Darthain said:

2 core, 2 oathsworn, hawthorne, command.  Trade out all your useless skeles. 

2 core is 4 trays, 2 oathsworn is 4 trays (total). This army needs 12 trays of Oathsworn. Also it's cheaper to do one core and the rest oathsworn (and a rune golem pack; $25 for oathsworn and $35 for rune golem. $60 is less than $70). I also didn't take into account the cornicen is in command, so add $25 to mine. If someone wants to trade skeles for oathsworn, assuming you cut cost in half ($35 each for a core) it's still cheaper to get the oathsworn expansion, because that's $25 and you get the same number of oathsworn.

3 minutes ago, Curlycross said:

2 core is 4 trays, 2 oathsworn is 4 trays (total). This army needs 12 trays of Oathsworn. Also it's cheaper to do one core and the rest oathsworn (and a rune golem pack; $25 for oathsworn and $35 for rune golem. $60 is less than $70). I also didn't take into account the cornicen is in command, so add $25 to mine. If someone wants to trade skeles for oathsworn, assuming you cut cost in half ($35 each for a core) it's still cheaper to get the oathsworn expansion, because that's $25 and you get the same number of oathsworn.

naw, 2 Cores is 8 trays of oathsworn, as I said, trade out all the useless skeles. Cheaper if and only if you only want the oathsworn.  That doesn't really work though. 

Edited by Darthain

Just now, Darthain said:

naw, 2 Cores is 8 trays of oathsworn, as I said, trade out all the useless skeles. 

1 core is 4 trays of oathsworn? I thought it was 4 spearmen 2 oathsworn. If that's the case then absolutely that's the best option.

7 minutes ago, Curlycross said:

1 core is 4 trays of oathsworn? I thought it was 4 spearmen 2 oathsworn. If that's the case then absolutely that's the best option.

6 minutes ago, Braneric said:

A core is only two trays of Oathsworn.

I'm not sure where the confusion is.  You walk up to random undead player and say -hey give me your humans and I'll give you all these dead things.  They say excellent and everyone walks away happy.  A core now has twice as many human units and no undead. It was very very easy to pawn off 1/2 a core. 

6 minutes ago, Darthain said:

I'm not sure where the confusion is.  You walk up to random undead player and say -hey give me your humans and I'll give you all these dead things.  They say excellent and everyone walks away happy.  A core now has twice as many human units and no undead. It was very very easy to pawn off 1/2 a core. 

The confusion is if there are only 2 oathsworn in a starter, you pay $70 for 2 oathsworn and the waiqar you're going to trade for 2 more oathsworn from their starter, this means $70 for 4 oathsworn, where you can get 4 oathsworn for $50 with two oathsworn expansions.

12 minutes ago, Curlycross said:

The confusion is if there are only 2 oathsworn in a starter, you pay $70 for 2 oathsworn and the waiqar you're going to trade for 2 more oathsworn from their starter, this means $70 for 4 oathsworn, where you can get 4 oathsworn for $50 with two oathsworn expansions.

2 more oathsworn, another golem, and 4 trays more spearmen to collect dust with that's ~ 17$ of golems and 50$ of spears.  so it is more fair to say 2/7 trays for 35$, so whatever 2/7ths of 35 is.  10$?

Edited by Darthain

Yes, it was really helpful to see what you do and how you played it. It's interesting you played 4 Daqan and 1 Waiqar. Makes me wonder if there were more Daqan players in total, or you just happened to go down the "Daqan Side".

42 minutes ago, Curlycross said:

Honestly I was just saying this is the cheapest way to get his army. That's all.

You know... my wife is reading this and she doesn't need to know how much I spend on Runewars!:P

30 minutes ago, dcgoose86 said:

Congratulations on the win!, also thank you for taking the time to write the battle report. 

Thanks! and thanks to everyone else for the kind words!

8 minutes ago, Curlycross said:

Yes, it was really helpful to see what you do and how you played it. It's interesting you played 4 Daqan and 1 Waiqar. Makes me wonder if there were more Daqan players in total, or you just happened to go down the "Daqan Side".

From what I've heard, the tournament was pretty well split 50/50 for humans vs undead.  I think I just got lucky (or unlucky) to have all human opponents.