Wondergecko

GAT-12 Skipray Blastboat

246 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Alpha Xg1 said:

Heretic~! I would motion our Prophet of the Five Pointed Star - @FTS Gecko to 'counsel' you for your gross slander!

Regarding the Blastboat, I think it's fine. I wouldn't mind seeing it showing up on X-Wing. It was listed as part of an ISD's standard complement of spacecraft back in Legends. :D:D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8JRJRyCVwU

Edited by Zeoinx

Version 2 With Dial

PBwfvlR.png

Ak5k5Tu.png

And Dial

3bilDJW.png

Ok, hope you all enjoy, Just finished this on my Lunch at work, all my spare time to enjoy wasted on you all!......Now if you don't mind, I shall sleep for the remaining 2 minutes of my lunch!

Edited by Zeoinx

On 20.9.2017 at 6:18 PM, SabineKey said:

Probably. Aiming for 10 might be better. Maybe bump it up to a three dice primary? 

We could also compare the stats of the VT-49 and the Skipray as used in the WEG RPG as it was the source for many works of the EU.

VT-49 Decimator:

Scale: Starfighter
Maneuverability: 1D+1
Hull: 5D+1
Shields: 3D

2 Quad Laser Cannons:
Damage: 5D

3 Concussion Missile Launchers
Damage: 8D

Skipray Blastboat:

Scale: Capital (due to power output)

SabineKey likes this

On 20.9.2017 at 6:18 PM, SabineKey said:

Probably. Aiming for 10 might be better. Maybe bump it up to a three dice primary? 

We could also compare the stats of the VT-49 and the Skipray as used in the WEG RPG as it was the source for many works of the EU.

VT-49 Decimator:

Scale: Starfighter
Maneuverability: 1D+1
Hull: 5D+1
Shields: 3D

2 Quad Laser Cannons:
- Damage: 5D

3 Concussion Missile Launchers
- Damage: 8D

Skipray Blastboat:

Scale: Capital (due to power output)
Maneuverability: 1D+2 (2D+2 in atmosphere)
Hull: 2D+1
Shields: 2D

3 Medium Ion Cannons (fire linked)
- Damage: 4D

Proton Torpedo Launcher
- Damage: 9D

2 Laser Cannons (fire-linked)
- Damage: 5D

Concussion Missile Launcher (GAT-12j model only) (24
missiles carried)
- Damage: 6D

Tractor Beam Projector (GAT-12g model only)

So we see the Skiprays Shields and Hull value are around half of the Decimators and its Lasers on par with the Decimators (and as well the X-Wings as they also have 5D6).
But: The Skipray is Scale: Capital.
What does that mean?
The RPG uses D6 for all rolls. And a Starfighter rolling to damage a Capital ship gets each dice over 3 is reduced to 3.
As Well as the damge resitance rolls for starfighters against capital ships are limited to a maximum of 3. Well, this doesn't matter for the Turret and secondary weapons as they are noted to be Starfighter scale.
But the Ion cannons of the Skipray are classified as capital scale.

To eyeball it we could say: double the stats of the Skipray to make it Starfighter scale.

Hull: 4D+2
Shields: 4D

So the Hull is a bit lower than the Decimators but the shields are better.

For X-Wing I'd go for
Hull: 10
Shields: 6
Green: 0 (maybe 1)
Red: 2 (360° turret)

Slots: Missile, Missile, Torpedo

AAAAND: A title to represent capital ship grade Ion cannons. "Add a [cannon] slot which gets equipped with a Ion cannon. The cannon can never deal facedown damage. Instead each damage caused by it is dealt face up.

Edited by RogueLeader42

On 9/21/2017 at 5:18 PM, Zeoinx said:

ROFL...Ungoys...

No it's nothing like these!

It's more like Space Marine Squad shouting: HERETIC! Whenever you reveal Chaos units in Dawn of War!

:D:D:D

Back OT - Skiprays, DX9s, Assault Transports! I'd be thrilled to have any of these added to the game! Please make them happen FFG! :D 

ATRs need epic Hardpoint slots.  That’s how scary bad *** they are.  I think it would still fit on a large base like the Ghost, and intoducing energy mechanics to 100/6 would be interesting.  Or just ignore the energy requirements...

RogueLeader42 likes this

On 9/20/2017 at 5:04 PM, Zeoinx said:

BUMP! Remember when I said there was a ladder on the left side and an access door on the skipray. This picture is proof of that, also

I know i made this card really powerful, but after reading the wiki, apparently the Skipray SHOULD be pretty powerful, I didnt make a dial yet for it, but it will be a slow dial so if someone wants to experiment with this card and different dials go for it, Id like to hear how it plays out.Q5IVaM8.png

45 points for that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many.  Compare it to the Shadow Caster for which the most expensive elite pilot only costs 38, or the Decimator for which the lowest PS pilot that no-one uses costs 40.

E: Even at 31 for a PS7 generic I'd question it.  THat's still a LOT of points to pay for a 2-attack ship.

I'd also want to have the red turns be the threes.  Having green banks adjacent to red turns is weird.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Ok, the reasoning behind the turns and banks being red and green is simple, its DISTANCE covered per maneuver, banks are easier on the ship, require less agility and less stress on the ships maneuvering thrusters, where as a sharp turn, are usually used by super high agility ships like interceptors and a-wings that are supposed to be able to tail anything. Remember this isnt a speedy high agility tie, its a large slow moving gunship that is more then able to tank firepower thrown at it with its shields and armor

Odanan likes this

On 21.9.2017 at 10:00 AM, Zeoinx said:

Version 2 With Dial

PBwfvlR.png

Ak5k5Tu.png

And Dial

3bilDJW.png

Ok, hope you all enjoy, Just finished this on my Lunch at work, all my spare time to enjoy wasted on you all!......Now if you don't mind, I shall sleep for the remaining 2 minutes of my lunch!

5 Hull and 6 Shields is waaay to few. The Skipray is around the level of the Decimator regarding these stats.

Ok, outside of looking for art for this, I was thinking of a way to thematically address the power output of the Skiprays shields, without boosting stats to be in the high numbers on such a small ship, one such solution is this...

fXnYwyP.png

38 minutes ago, Zeoinx said:

Ok, outside of looking for art for this, I was thinking of a way to thematically address the power output of the Skiprays shields, without boosting stats to be in the high numbers on such a small ship, one such solution is this...

fXnYwyP.png

I like the compromise and the idea of giving it regen, but this is definitely something that has the potential to swing wildly into the unusable to the other end of the spectrum of overdone. It gives a big benefit with a big qualifier. 

5 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

I like the compromise and the idea of giving it regen, but this is definitely something that has the potential to swing wildly into the unusable to the other end of the spectrum of overdone. It gives a big benefit with a big qualifier. 

Wouldn't it be better to just use the hughe ships energy and recovery rules for this?

9 minutes ago, Hannes Solo said:

Wouldn't it be better to just use the hughe ships energy and recovery rules for this?

Possibly. I'm not super familiar with those rules, but from what I know, it could work out.

16 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

Possibly. I'm not super familiar with those rules, but from what I know, it could work out.

In a Nutshell
The ship would have an energy value which would determine how many energy tokens it could hold (i would say something like 2 or 3 would be reasonable for a large ship).

You would gain energy tokens dependent on the maneuver you fly (e.g. one for white and two for green).

You would have an action to spend all your energy tokens for regaining the same number of shilds (up to maximum; additional energy is lost).

There may be different upgrades / abilities that need energy.

Edited by Hannes Solo
SabineKey likes this

2 hours ago, RogueLeader42 said:

5 Hull and 6 Shields is waaay to few. The Skipray is around the level of the Decimator regarding these stats.

It's a lot smaller by volume than the Decimator though. And how does its shields in most games compare with those of, say, a Lambda shuttle?

3 hours ago, Ironlord said:

It's a lot smaller by volume than the Decimator though. And how does its shields in most games compare with those of, say, a Lambda shuttle?

In the RPG
Skipray:
- Hull: 2D+1 (around 4D+2 in starfighter scale)
- Shields: 2D (around 4 D in starfighter scale)

Lambda:
- Hull: 4D
- Shields: 1D+2

Decimator
- Hull: 5D+1
- Shields: 3D

Remember that the Skipray is still capital scale when the Lambda is starfighter scale.
So the Skipray is a better hull and way better shields than the Lambda.

In X-Wing Alliance the Lambda and Skipray are almost on par regarding hull and shields. But X-Wing Alliance is, despite beeing a great game, very inaccurate regarding stats of the ships.

I don't think we have any other sources where Lambda and Skipray appear with concrete values for shields and hull.

regarding the size:
Yes the Decimator is bigger, but it is a lang range patrol vessel with space for a crew of 4 and 6 passengers. And of course scanning and communications equipment and also quarters.
The Skipray has a relatively small crew compartment for 4 people. The rest of the hull is taken up bei the reactor.

If you ask me, the armor prob isnt as thick as the Decimator either, I think a regen mechanic would fit it best, but I dont know if giving it the energy mechanic that the epic ships have would fit either....

The reason I went with the maneuvering and instant shield recharge, assuming you can not take damage that turn, is to allow a similar mechanic to that of the epic energy gathering, but less exploitable on a small ship. Remember, this might have a large generator, but its still a heavy *** slow armored "tank", most of that energy is to get the thing moving all that weight around id expect and keep the shields and other mechanics of the ship working. If you are using the energy to red line your thrusters to move max speed, chances are you are not going to be recharging shields at the same time, I dont think a ship of this size has a "energy reserve tank" that this generator stores excess energy, this ship has a lot of moving parts, gadgets and mechanics that i can see HAVING a large generator is a requirement, not a "bonus".

1 hour ago, RogueLeader42 said:

In the RPG
Skipray:
- Hull: 2D+1 (around 4D+2 in starfighter scale)
- Shields: 2D (around 4 D in starfighter scale)

Lambda:
- Hull: 4D
- Shields: 1D+2

Decimator
- Hull: 5D+1
- Shields: 3D

Remember that the Skipray is still capital scale when the Lambda is starfighter scale.

Actually, according to the Revised and Expanded Rules the difference between Starfighter and Capital Scale is 6D. That puts the Skipray at the following stats in Starfighter scale: 

Hull: 8D+1

Shields: 8D

While the cannons, torpedoes and missles are on Starfighter Scale the Ion Cannons is Capital and throwing a punch at 10D damage.

The ship is as fast as an X-wing.

Why it wasn’t seen more frequently might be answered in the Trawn Trilogy Sourcebook where it is stated: ”It never became popular with the Fleet, although some are in use; Sienar dumped the excess ships on the open market, and many have found their way into local militias, smuggler camps and other small military and paramilitary forces.”

RogueLeader42 likes this

On 9/26/2017 at 6:37 AM, Zeoinx said:

Ok, the reasoning behind the turns and banks being red and green is simple, its DISTANCE covered per maneuver, banks are easier on the ship, require less agility and less stress on the ships maneuvering thrusters, where as a sharp turn, are usually used by super high agility ships like interceptors and a-wings that are supposed to be able to tail anything. Remember this isnt a speedy high agility tie, its a large slow moving gunship that is more then able to tank firepower thrown at it with its shields and armor

I think it should be the first XWM ship to feature a STAW-style U-turn.