Sign in to follow this  
Stay On The Leader

Hera & Nym - Tentacular Spectacular

• Captain Syndulla - Ghost - Twin Laser Turret, Accuracy Corrector, "Chopper", Sabine Wren, Cluster Mines, Extra Munitions (57)
  • Captain Nym - Scurgg - Veteran Instincts, Autoblaster Turret, Advanced Sensors, Bomblet Generator, Havoc, "Genius", Engine Upgrade (43)

I've not really played this sort of thing before... what do you think?

4 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:
  • Captain Syndulla - Ghost - Twin Laser Turret, Accuracy Corrector, "Chopper", Sabine Wren, Cluster Mines, Extra Munitions (57)
  • Captain Nym - Scurgg - Veteran Instincts, Autoblaster Turret, Advanced Sensors, Bomblet Generator, Havoc, "Genius", Engine Upgrade (43)

I've not really played this sort of thing before... what do you think?

I've never really appreciated Accuracy Corrector. But man. In this meta, two hits for TLT is more than enough...
Having played a fair amount of Kanan+Biggs, I'm not sure you're going to get to use those Clusters a lot. That's 6 points you could spend on Crew or to pop Engine on Hera to really take advantage of Chopper and also, ya know, help to ensure* your TLT goes off. 

* My profession has all but eliminated words like ensure from my vocabulary, unless  qualified with words like help... 

Also, thinking about it more - you're either PS 10 or you're not. So if you have it in your head that you can utilize Hera's ability to drop bombs in front of people - who am I to say it won't work. 

Make sure your dial is properly lubricated for all of those tentac-- maneuver changes. 

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie

TLT/AC is really good, but it's only good if your planning on running away, keeping at Range 3 to get the extra evade die, hence why if I were to use it in this list I'd drop Sabine, Cluster and Extra Munitions for Engine upgrade on Hera and a bump up to TLT on Nym. Basically you'd run around the board, dropping bombs to prevent people approaching. If you want Hera to be a close range fighter.... you'd have several different choices, like keeping the mines, and downgrading to a synced (ATB may be better though) but for this I would advise adding either Intelligence Agent, Cassian Andor or Navigator, because with that 0 agility, you'll want to bump on the enemy ship you're not attacking,  so they don't attack you.

That's just my thoughts, good luck, let us know how your games withthe list you choose go. :)

52 minutes ago, DanteStorm said:

TLT/AC is really good, but it's only good if your planning on running away, keeping at Range 3 to get the extra evade die, hence why if I were to use it in this list I'd drop Sabine, Cluster and Extra Munitions for Engine upgrade on Hera and a bump up to TLT on Nym. Basically you'd run around the board, dropping bombs to prevent people approaching. If you want Hera to be a close range fighter.... you'd have several different choices, like keeping the mines, and downgrading to a synced (ATB may be better though) but for this I would advise adding either Intelligence Agent, Cassian Andor or Navigator, because with that 0 agility, you'll want to bump on the enemy ship you're not attacking,  so they don't attack you.

That's just my thoughts, good luck, let us know how your games withthe list you choose go. :)

This list is basically a variant on the Kel Special (bombing Ghost & Miranda).  That Nym is cheaper than Miranda opens up the potential to upgrade to Hera and bring in her additional synergies to the existing Chopper/Cluster strategy.

I love the idea, but I'd go with Autoblaster Turret and Accuracy Corrector on the both of them. Its just brutal. Also, I'd choose Navigator on Hera just to fill out the classic autopilot style haha

9 hours ago, Greebwahn said:

I love the idea, but I'd go with Autoblaster Turret and Accuracy Corrector on the both of them. Its just brutal. Also, I'd choose Navigator on Hera just to fill out the classic autopilot style haha

Thats is juuuuust about possible, though you have to choose between Navigator and Accuracy Corrector.  You switch Chopper for Electronic Baffle to free up space for the Navigator and still be able to red move/bomb.  That costs +4pts but you drop FCS/Synced to Autoblaster make those points back.

I, too, found a way to pair Nym with Sabine and I think it's a really strong move. Love your approach. 
How are you planning for the MoV bleed you're going to face? Hera will lose, what 28 or 29 points every match. 
Have you got to play more games with it? And if so, are you still happy with choosing Hera? For bombs and PS, she's great - have you flown off the board with her yet? Or not been able to use her ability because you would have flown off the board? 
What's your setup/approach? 

So many questions...!

Rebel Nym with your build but with TLT basically cant lose to any single arc ship less than PS10 in a 1v1 battle. It's disgusting. If you get a big enough bid, it is an autowin vs Scum Nym who has ABT.

In your original article list, personally I would want Rey crew on Hera. Easy to do with Synced down to ABT. Rey + those Plasmas ;) Also, if the opportunity arises, you can switch TL as action, then bring down a focus for some full mod shots. Enables to you take evade actions as well and bring a focus for offense. Worse thing for Ghost lists is that first engagement where you only get a single mod. But with rey, you can TL for action and focus. Easy to stock focus as well since you dont ever use it for defense.

11 hours ago, wurms said:

Rebel Nym with your build but with TLT basically cant lose to any single arc ship less than PS10 in a 1v1 battle. It's disgusting. If you get a big enough bid, it is an autowin vs Scum Nym who has ABT.

In your original article list, personally I would want Rey crew on Hera. Easy to do with Synced down to ABT. Rey + those Plasmas ;) Also, if the opportunity arises, you can switch TL as action, then bring down a focus for some full mod shots. Enables to you take evade actions as well and bring a focus for offense. Worse thing for Ghost lists is that first engagement where you only get a single mod. But with rey, you can TL for action and focus. Easy to stock focus as well since you dont ever use it for defense.

Dorsal & Proton Torps is the build I've got that answers that problem!

On 8/25/2017 at 8:09 PM, Rinzler in a Tie said:

I, too, found a way to pair Nym with Sabine and I think it's a really strong move. Love your approach. 
How are you planning for the MoV bleed you're going to face? Hera will lose, what 28 or 29 points every match. 
Have you got to play more games with it? And if so, are you still happy with choosing Hera? For bombs and PS, she's great - have you flown off the board with her yet? Or not been able to use her ability because you would have flown off the board? 
What's your setup/approach? 

So many questions...!

So, I played 7 non-tournament games against players prepping for Nats at the weekend.  I went 6-1, with the loss coming down to Blinded Pilot just as I was about to win.  

Captain Nym is crazy.  Maybe it's part of me being a jouster but I found Autoblaster Turret to be largely awful, but I got a lot of work done with the primary weapons after using my bombs/turrets to control the opponent's positioning.  I was very patchy with getting value from the Ghost so that I was a whisker from going 7-0 is hugely down to Nym.

The Ghost:

Hera Syndulla did nothing all day.  Only one opponent had PS lower than 8, and I ripped his Scurrg/Scurrg/Slaver list apart long before Hera's ability was relevant.

Synced Turret lasted two turns, then I asked my opponent to let me swap it out for Dorsal Turret.  My first game I did a 5k and dropped bombs across my opponent's path, which was really good and caught him out.  But then I didn't have TL so coulnd't use my Synced, so couldn't get FCS to trigger to use Torps or Turret next turn, then wanted to roll forward and drop more Clusters but that meant another turn without TL/Synced.  Basically it's AWFUL.  I used Dorsal Turret and Proton Torpedoes for the rest of the day.  Underwhelming but it's simple and does a job, and with a lot of low agility stuff around at the moment you get damage out of it.

Compared to how I've seen the old Kel Special play the changes in the turrets are seismic.  From tactically biding your time with TLTs on Miranda & Ghost you're really trying to close in ASAP to get your bombs & short range turrets into the game.  I'm having to play it much more aggressively as a result, and I'm still finding my way through that.  My best play, vs Rey, was to joust at R1 then 2-turn and drop Cluster Mines she had to run over and poop a Proton Torpedo at her after she slooped.  But in other games I'd find the Ghost a real hog, particularly without TLT it's turn radius can be huge... if you take the turn to fly past and torp out the backside before turning around then you're likely out of range as you turn.

I'm happy with Dorsal/Proton to carry on using it for now.  I can get TLT in by dropping Hera to Lothal Rebel, but I think that gives up a lot in the FSR matches.  It's about which dead zone you want as well, Dorsal gives me a deadzone in my side arcs at R3, TLT gives me a deadzone side/rear at R1.  With so many barrel-rolling turrets around I'm wary of that R1 deadzone a lot more.

I'm enjoying playing it, though.  Nym is a headache to try and work out what to do with him each turn, he makes Echo look easy.  Hera properly bamboozles people with what she can do as well.

Yeah, picture the list working very similar to double ghost except they want to be further apart, which means you either have to find a good line to get in there and get savage with it before your hull wall evaporates or run and plink with the turrets when you have the advantage. I imagine it was possibly frustrating trying to get arc focused and stay clear of the bomblets?

I cant see synced having a place that works on the ghost without fcs and a docked zeb, and even then that's a tad too expensive for what it does. you'd still get more use out of using that 4 dice rear arc that the turret.

Edited by Ralgon

3twbub4.jpg

Some nifty double-bombing!

Im really enjoying the list, changed it up again and happy enough for nats.  It's good enough to win games and a blast to play.

Whats changed is I dropped Hera to Lothal Rebel and killed the Engine Upgrade on Nym.  Those changes gave me points to upgrade turrets to TLT on Ghost and Ion Cannon Turret on Nym, along with Cruise Missiles and a Long-Range Scanner.

Even though my first days play with Dorsal and Autoblaster saw me winning I decided I was too one-dimensional and both my ships had to get close to be effective.  Better players would stop this happening, so I switched up for longer range turrets.  Ideally I think I'd have Engine & TLT on Nym but I can't do that without hurting the Ghosts torpedo slots

Lothal Rebel (55) - VCX-100
Fire Control System (2), Twin Laser Turret (6), Extra Munitions (2), Proton Torpedoes (4), "Chopper" (0), Sabine Wren (2), •Ghost (0), Guidance Chips (0), Cluster Mines (4)

Captain Nym (45) - Scurrg H-6 Bomber
Veteran Instincts (1), Ion Cannon Turret (5), Cruise Missiles (3), •Bomblet Generator (3), •Havoc (0), Long-Range Scanners (0), Advanced Sensors (3), •"Genius" (0)

Edited by Stay On The Leader

On 2017-09-10 at 2:29 PM, Stay On The Leader said:

3twbub4.jpg

Some nifty double-bombing!

Im really enjoying the list, changed it up again and happy enough for nats.  It's good enough to win games and a blast to play.

Whats changed is I dropped Hera to Lothal Rebel and killed the Engine Upgrade on Nym.  Those changes gave me points to upgrade turrets to TLT on Ghost and Ion Cannon Turret on Nym, along with Cruise Missiles and a Long-Range Scanner.

Even though my first days play with Dorsal and Autoblaster saw me winning I decided I was too one-dimensional and both my ships had to get close to be effective.  Better players would stop this happening, so I switched up for longer range turrets.  Ideally I think I'd have Engine & TLT on Nym but I can't do that without hurting the Ghosts torpedo slots

Lothal Rebel (55) - VCX-100
Fire Control System (2), Twin Laser Turret (6), Extra Munitions (2), Proton Torpedoes (4), "Chopper" (0), Sabine Wren (2), •Ghost (0), Guidance Chips (0), Cluster Mines (4)

Captain Nym (45) - Scurrg H-6 Bomber
Veteran Instincts (1), Ion Cannon Turret (5), Cruise Missiles (3), •Bomblet Generator (3), •Havoc (0), Long-Range Scanners (0), Advanced Sensors (3), •"Genius" (0)

Wow that paint job on Nym is awesome!

2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

You're the second person I see going Ion turret Nym as a meta call.

will be interesting to see how this develops.

also: those paint jobs!

Well technically I'm going Ion Turret Nym because I unreasonably like Ion Turret and always try to crowbar it in.  It does seem like it might be a decent shout this time around, though!

How are you results with further testing? I've been playing around with and I'm 5-1. Been running Guidance chips on Nym though, but will switch it out to long range scanners. I'm contemplating ditching the missile to upgrade to TLT and go for a bid. Any thoughts?