Capt. Griff

2nd Place North American Championship Battle Report (2 Activation List)

28 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Capt. Griff said:

few ships rival the activation economy that is the Imperial Class Star Destroyer.

This quote, so true! Cheers for the write-up. Gives a Reb like me a lot to think about :)

Hrathen likes this

Good job with placing second!

Glad to see lower activations putting up some data points post flotillae. Hopefully this will shake things up for those who have wrongly rejected the game for being all about activation spam. Perhaps the "pass rule" people will calm down and maybe try some of these type lists out as well. Not holding my breath on that one though. If the past serves as a rule, we are more likely to get "NERF DOUBLE ISD" threads than anything... Ha!

I'm sad you didn't get to experience strategic more often in the run up to this tournament... AG, or any red for that matter becomes easy auto pick when you don't have strategic. One of the holes in this game imo.

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Yay another person who loves Morna Kee as much as I do! Love your squadron make up in general. I have been running something very similar but with Jendon and Valen Rudor (for Shara Bey insurance) instead of Boosted Coms and Vader. I find Jendon in that squad make up is pure win because Steele isn't even an auto pick for the double attack, every single squad in list in different circumstances is an excellent double shot candidate. A Rhymer range boosted Morna Kee double tapping a flottila turns activation economy into easy points economy especially, but there is no arguing that you killed it with your make up!

Congrats and thanks for the write up!

Edited by BrobaFett
Madaghmire and Capt. Griff like this

grats.  Always good to see double ISD

How favorable do you think your first 3 match ups were?  When I ran 2x ISD i loved those types of Rebel MSU lists as they didn't have the punch like demo msu to get through the ISD.  Interested to see if you found the same thing to be true.

@Capt. Griff

Thanks for the write up!  Awesome and congrats!!  Gives me a little hope for my 3 VSDs, but also makes me think about switching to 2 ISDs.  I appreciate the AAR

5 hours ago, BrobaFett said:

Yay another person who loves Morna Kee as much as I do! Love your squadron make up in general. I have been running something very similar but with Jendon and Valen Rudor (for Shara Bey insurance) instead of Boosted Coms and Vader. I find Jendon in that squad make up is pure win because Steele isn't even an auto pick for the double attack, every single squad in list in different circumstances is an excellent double shot candidate. A Rhymer range boosted Morna Kee double tapping a flottila turns activation economy into easy points economy especially, but there is no arguing that you killed it with your make up!

Congrats and thanks for the write up!

As you dais Jendon make good everywhere squash.

I used Jendon with IG-88 or saber to kill Intel among scort,( in my area bigs and 5-6 xwing is common if they use bombers a rebels)

BrobaFett likes this

Congrats on a nice run!  Good to see ISDs do work!

Also neat to see an Ackbar list with no Bombers do well!  It's felt like for the past year or so everything Rebel has been Reikaan + Bombers or some descendant thereof, so a great final to remind us all just how good large ships can be!

@n00bzilla99 Even though I didn't plan to play them very often I was rolling with this:

1. Precision Strike - Even though I don't play with many actual bombers anymore, this is an amazing objective for squadron lists. As long as you can land one or two damage cards on an enemy ship, your ability to rake in points is absolutely bonkers. 

2. Fighter Ambush- Fairly standard for squad lists. You DO NOT have to forward deploy when you take this objective. I typically just deploy as normal after I put my two ships down. use it mainly as an objective where pretty much I am the only person who can score from it.

3. Superior Positions - This is also par for the course with fighter squadrons for the obvious reasons of getting behind enemy ships and getting a TON of points. 

The ones I played against during the convention were mainly precision strike and superior positions since my opponents had them as well. 

n00bzilla99 likes this

@n00bzilla99 Oh that list was tight. In most other games I play I really like super units and his MC80 is like a callback to that. One big ship that messes everyone up. Alongside being heavy hitting, his list had a ton of utility such as having the good versatile fighter list with the VCXs and floatillas. The floatillas each had a special role. I believe one had Adar, one had Com Net, and another had Bright Hope. I forget, but it was a fun list to go against. Definitely frustrating to fight lol.

n00bzilla99 and MerryVulture like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the detailed write up!

I am happy the day of the low activation fleet, AND that of the Strategic fleet, has come.  Now if only I could get to a major tourney!!!

Edited by Maturin
Hrathen likes this

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

I have slightly mixed feelings : On one side, I deeply feel that your list would be much better with Jendon instead of the boosted coms, and including avenger + boarding troopers for just 8 points is (unfortunately) a no-brainer to me.

Yet on the other side, I think that you've proven your list to be strategically brilliant : Your list wrecks the most popular North American archetype (Yavaris, Aces, one nice ship, transports), and your victories attest that you made the right choices (Motti, double Flight controllers with a 15-point bid for a very strong ISD + 4 top squads 1st activation each turn)

Against Jeff Berling's list, I think fire lanes and sensor net are almost lost causes, I'd be surprised if Jeff ever lost a game playing on one of these two objectives. But I think there is a game vs. his advanced gunnery indeed. And I agree it looks like a simple squadron skirmish victory is the best way.

I have the highest respect for Jeff and what he brought to X-wing, and now to Armada, yet I really dislike what his list means in terms of competitive flavor (and the whole cohort of lists with 1 power house ship + a high number of flotillas)

And despite my comments on your list, I think you managed to make your point :

1) low activation fleets can be competitive

2) ISDs are the great overall ships they should be in this game

3) There is more than 2 archetypes (1) squadrons do everything (2) one superior ship + loads of flotillas

and these three points are extremely refreshing for the game !

It reminds me when PT106 unleashed his squadron-less Demolisher-less "ISDs + raiders" list last year and won a couple regionals with it : the fact that you could do well with such "outlier" lists is a pure rekindling source for my love for this game !

Helias de Nappo likes this

When I read that a two activation list achieved such a standing in a major tournament, I thought that this is simply impossible. Your opponents should have last-first the **** out of you. 

Then I saw your bid. Now I can understand. Your achievement was not impossible in these circumstances, but merely incredibly difficult. Well played, Sir, and congratulations to your great achievement. Better to be second with two ISDs than to be first with MSU! :D

Wow, well done and consider this newbie very inspired!

Ironically enough my second ISD arrived in the mail yesterday! :)

Well done capt Griff and thanks for the write up!

You raise some really interesting ideas, particularly for me the point that the ISD plus squads basically negates all the flotillas. That said I wouldn't have the nerve to run this sort of list without leading shots, avenger, boarding troopers etc etc. Which of course would detract from the core strategy.

13 hours ago, Capt. Griff said:

@n00bzilla99 Oh that list was tight. In most other games I play I really like super units and his MC80 is like a callback to that. One big ship that messes everyone up. Alongside being heavy hitting, his list had a ton of utility such as having the good versatile fighter list with the VCXs and floatillas. The floatillas each had a special role. I believe one had Adar, one had Com Net, and another had Bright Hope. I forget, but it was a fun list to go against. Definitely frustrating to fight lol.

I appreciate your feedback sir!  :)

Nice write up Griff. In your final match, did you win the bid? Do you think taking 2nd player might have been a better strategy? 

32 minutes ago, Kristjan said:

Nice write up Griff. In your final match, did you win the bid? Do you think taking 2nd player might have been a better strategy? 

I did win bid by 6 points I believe. I still think going first was an appropriate choice, but I definitely shouldn't have taken that objective lol. The reason being that 1st allows me to activate and run or always to attempt to make a big play before my opponent does.

I played you in the third round, even though I did lose, it looks like I at least did the best of the 3 similar lists you played.  (maybe a small consolation prize for my feelings?)

I thought I had it going into the game, but I was definitely wrong.  My squadron dice were a little cold, but honestly, dice rarely make much of a difference. it usually equals out in the end.   I do think there's something to your list of people thinking it's weak since it only has 2 activation.  I certainly underestimated the list.  

At the end of the day, I got beat by a great player who knew his list very well.  The extra speed of his fighters made a big difference compared to my very slow rebel ones, it allowed a small mistake moving jan to turn onto a huge problem.  I really got outplayed in that squadron fight.  

It was a fun game that I enjoyed even though I lost, and it goes to prove that great PLAYERS win big tournaments, not great LISTS. 

Nice job @Capt. Griff hope to play you again in the future. 

Was the final Armada battle at GenCon recorded? 

If so, is there somewhere we could go to watch it? Always great to watch nop-notch players.