Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bayushi Curtin

Gencon day 1 tournement vs day 2 difference

39 posts in this topic

@Joe From Cincinnati

From your post I take it you took Keeper of Void. I see the appeal, I've also thought about Keeper of Air for the release events. If people seem to bid aggressively, controlling the Air ring might be a great way to pout the squeeze on.

 

Of course, with one-core it might be more important to protect your important guys and go Void?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which splash is an interesting choice I am leaning towards Crab for my Crane as I like pressurising their honour and Watch Commander just rocks in that department. There probably aren't enough of that specific card to make it worthwhile in a single core tournament though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shu2jack said:

@Joe From Cincinnati

From your post I take it you took Keeper of Void. I see the appeal, I've also thought about Keeper of Air for the release events. If people seem to bid aggressively, controlling the Air ring might be a great way to pout the squeeze on.

 

Of course, with one-core it might be more important to protect your important guys and go Void?

I'd probably go Void over Air in Crab since you only see your personalities once.

2 hours ago, Matrim said:

Which splash is an interesting choice I am leaning towards Crab for my Crane as I like pressurising their honour and Watch Commander just rocks in that department. There probably aren't enough of that specific card to make it worthwhile in a single core tournament though..

I love the idea of Crab splash in Crane but it didn't work well for me in testing. I'd suggest Scorpion or Dragon in that order

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@Shu2jack Well, we're Keeper of Air now, at least until Worlds.

I don't have a huge problem with Keeper of Air. Phoenix was already a good splash for Crab, due to the kimono and Display of Power, but now being able to run the courtier that adds air to any conflict can make triggering the Keeper initiate's reaction extremely easy for the Keeper of Air role by simply adding the air element to whatever ring you're about to win on offense.

 

I personally hope we can nab Keeper of Void or Keeper of Earth after Worlds though. That way we can keep it for a full year.

Keeper of Void is obvious (because Void is the best ring in the game) but Keeper of Earth is also a good choice because Earth is just good enough that it's almost always worth claiming (there are no cases where it does nothing, like Water or, on occasion, Void) but it is also not quite good enough to make your opponent consistently try to nab it from you if they're first player. That makes it very easy to still get your Earth ring even if you're second player that round. I've even been able to get Earth as my second ring multiple times in games at Gencon, despite running Keeper of Earth because my opponent was most concerned with impacting the board state and didn't want to dedicate too many resources to attempting to deny me the Ring of Earth.

It's for this reason that I chose Keeper of Earth to play at Gencon.

If Crab are made Keeper of Void, there's a good chance they will be unable to claim the ring if they aren't first player, as your opponent now has twice the incentive to use the Ring of Void;1. it's the best ring and it's always a good thing to remove fate from your opponent's high impact characters and 2. to deny you your keeper monks.

Sure, you can theoretically win on defense, but if they do a political Void conflict with more strength than you can handle, it may just end up being a lost cause for that turn.

On the other hand, if they do the same with the Ring of Earth, they just heavily over committed to a conflict but didn't directly affect the board state with the ring they chose, which makes that heavy investment a lot less likely.

Choosing what ring to use for Keeper is an extremely interesting discussion point that I'm kind of bummed won't be a factor in deck building for most tournaments, due to the role being chosen for your clan for a whole year.

Edited by Joe From Cincinnati
Shu2jack, Caldera, Koriume and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After re-checking the article, I think you're right. The role chosen at Gencon appears to only be relevant at Winter Court. It is not until after that Role choice that the role is locked in for the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe From Cincinnati said:

@Shu2jack Well, we're Keeper of Air now, at least until Worlds.

I don't have a huge problem with Keeper of Air. Phoenix was already a good splash for Crab, due to the kimono and Display of Power, but now being able to run the courtier that adds air to any conflict can make triggering the Keeper of Air extremely easy by simply adding the air element to whatever ring you're about to win on offense.

I may have missed something. I understood you could not combine Seeker of knowledge and Keeper role, as keeper triggers in defense only. Am I wrong??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Koriume said:

I may have missed something. I understood you could not combine Seeker of knowledge and Keeper role, as keeper triggers in defense only. Am I wrong??

Not wrong just missing a trigger, the Keeper initiates come back into play WHENEVER you claim your ring. Making the Seeker of Knowledge play sequence work as long as you claim your ring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reiga said:

Not wrong just missing a trigger, the Keeper initiates come back into play WHENEVER you claim your ring. Making the Seeker of Knowledge play sequence work as long as you claim your ring.

AH! I see know.

Enlightment victory for me, courtesy of Crane Hatamoto. Awesome.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Koriume said:

I may have missed something. I understood you could not combine Seeker of knowledge and Keeper role, as keeper triggers in defense only. Am I wrong??

Sorry, meant to say the keeper initiate there. Relevant in triggering them when you have the role of Keeper of Air :).

Koriume likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

After having watched a number of the matches, I would like to pose the following question: Did players realize that they could have 'robbed' an opponent of a ring simply by declaring an attack with that given ring, and if they don't win the conflict, their opponent will claim the ring but (and here is the part!) but will not be able to activate its effect????        !!!!! 

For example, I watched a match where both players were low on Honor, and the first acting player kept choosing the Fire ring or Earth, when the Air ring would have been sorely needed by both sides in order to stay in the game. (Thus, if I'm low on Honor, I would make certain that I go for the Air ring first, that way even if I lose the conflict, my opponent can't choose the ring and have the chance to TRIGGER the Air ring and gain Honor) 

 

I saw this over and over again in many of the matches. While yes, this is just an outsider's observation, I didn't think that this would be such a difficult matter for the great majority of players... 

I hope I didn't come across as an *** hat by posting this. 

Edited by LordBlunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LordBlunt said:

After having watched a number of the matches, I would like to pose the following question: Did players realize that they could have 'robbed' an opponent of a ring simply by declaring an attack with that given ring, and if they don't win the conflict, their opponent will claim the ring but (and here is the part!) but will not be able to activate its effect????        !!!!! 

For example, I watched a match where both players were low on Honor, and the first acting player kept choosing the Fire ring or Earth, when the Air ring would have been sorely needed by both sides in order to stay in the game. (Thus, if I'm low on Honor, I would make certain that I go for the Air ring first, that way even if I lose the conflict, my opponent can't choose the ring and have the chance to TRIGGER the Air ring and gain Honor) 

 

I saw this over and over again in many of the matches. While yes, this is just an outsider's observation, I didn't think that this would be such a difficult matter for the great majority of players... 

I hope I didn't come across as an *** hat by posting this. 

I agree with you. I declared Ring of Void all the time when I was first player simply to deny them from removing fate from my characters.

If I was able to win it, that's just a bonus haha. 

In at least 3 of my 12 games at Gencon, I declared a 1 strength Void conflict for that exact reason. 

The bummer thing, of course, is that if the conflict ends 0 to 0 (they Mirumoto's Fury the attacker or Assassinate them), the ring goes back to the pool and they can use it then. Luckily, that didn't happen to me :).

shosuko likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0