Guest vtarin

More Factions?

5 hours ago, Raging Celt said:

Lots of good points here. Me thinking out loud here, I think it is more likely you will see merc troops augment one side or the other. Think Boba Fett being accompanied by a squad (or two) of stormies on Bespin. Could see something along those lines. Personally I want to see a healthy does of aliens on the Rebel side. I saw the Duros heads and that is a good start. Wookies, of course, and twi'ileks would be great along with just about everything else under the sun. And yeah, seeing a squad or three of Gamorreans would be nifty rad!

Oh golly. Wookies shock troops.

There's a sight to make your blood run cold.

26 minutes ago, Deathseed said:

Oh golly. Wookies shock troops.

There's a sight to make your blood run cold.

Gad no kidding! (Though wouldn't they be somewhat rare as they are technically enslaved at this point?)

4 minutes ago, Raging Celt said:

Gad no kidding! (Though wouldn't they be somewhat rare as they are technically enslaved at this point?)

Perhaps, but with the Rogue One'verse opening themes up a bit there's no reason to believe the Rebs haven't liberated a fair share of them.

No shortage of Wooks in other SW games.

4 minutes ago, Deathseed said:

Perhaps, but with the Rogue One'verse opening themes up a bit there's no reason to believe the Rebs haven't liberated a fair share of them.

No shortage of Wooks in other SW games.

True, very true. 

For me personally I would like to see a more fundamentally built and thought out game with a core start and finish, its something we just don't see in miniatures games largely for marketing reasons with its infinite expandibility.  To me this always ends badly, sometimes sooner rather than later and its because generally there doesn't seem to be much of an end game plan for miniatures games.

A good example of that is X-Wing with its ever growing power creep the game has completely devolved, or evolved away from its core if you will.  It was once a game about dog fighting, archs, trying to out guess your opponent, praying to the dice gods, using surprise tactics and a meta that span pretty much the whole set with a few exceptions like X-Wings and T-Bombers and even those in the early years you could make an argument for.  Today when you go to tournaments you see variations on one list based almost entirely on the latest releases thanks to said power creep.  Must all miniatures games end because of this phenomenon, wouldn't it have been better to stop introducing new ships and shift focus by introducing new ways to play the game? 

This phenomenon is already over taking Armada as well and its a real bummer because both X-Wing and Armada are great games but I have zero motivation to play either because I know that as soon as I sit down to make a list I can either, A. make a fun list to play and lose horribly, or B. Play the obvious meta and play on an even playing field.  Neither really appeals to me so short of house games where we lay down some basic ground rules, the games really aren't that much fun anymore.

Now we have Runewars and Legion and really I don't feel like there is much to be excited about as they are likely to go down the same path of expanding it with new armies, all mentioned above are possible routes for Legion for example and there will undoubtedly be this "the new stuff has to be better so we can sell" power creep approach.

It really takes the steam and excitement out of these games, they are great as a novelty but seeing the history of other games you already know where its going so despite being a Star Wars game, I don't see any reason to get into it at least not until I see some sort of formulated plan or someone actually addressing this issue out of the gate, rather then waiting until a time when the damage is already done.

To me right now X-Wing is in terrible shape as a game, its just not fun to have a shelf full of ships and 90% of it not being competitive.  Armada is almost there as well, another wave or two and its going to get stupid.  I don't know how long it will take Runewars and while for now I think its great, its kind of like a ticking time bomb.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but these games are really losing out latetly in my gaming group in trade for more stable board games and more dynamic roleplaying games.  Is anyone in this boat with me or am I floating out here on my own?

56 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

For me personally I would like to see a more fundamentally built and thought out game with a core start and finish, its something we just don't see in miniatures games largely for marketing reasons with its infinite expandibility.  To me this always ends badly, sometimes sooner rather than later and its because generally there doesn't seem to be much of an end game plan for miniatures games.

A good example of that is X-Wing with its ever growing power creep the game has completely devolved, or evolved away from its core if you will.  It was once a game about dog fighting, archs, trying to out guess your opponent, praying to the dice gods, using surprise tactics and a meta that span pretty much the whole set with a few exceptions like X-Wings and T-Bombers and even those in the early years you could make an argument for.  Today when you go to tournaments you see variations on one list based almost entirely on the latest releases thanks to said power creep.  Must all miniatures games end because of this phenomenon, wouldn't it have been better to stop introducing new ships and shift focus by introducing new ways to play the game? 

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but these games are really losing out latetly in my gaming group in trade for more stable board games and more dynamic roleplaying games.  Is anyone in this boat with me or am I floating out here on my own?

I agree strongly with you here; I hope they really think about product arcs for Legion, maybe tying expansion releases into 'campaigns' with supporting source books, missions, terrain, community articles, background stories. 

Well considered waves of product would do this game lots of good compared to the rather scattergun approach with X-wing.

Guest Rebelsfan

Kind of surprised no one has really mentioned a potential Mandalorian faction, especially given the ramp up in the series heading towards a bigger conflict with the coming season. There's even a faction siding full-on with the Empire with unique looking armor too.

2 minutes ago, Guest Rebelsfan said:

Kind of surprised no one has really mentioned a potential Mandalorian faction, especially given the ramp up in the series heading towards a bigger conflict with the coming season. There's even a faction siding full-on with the Empire with unique looking armor too.

Think of the custom paint jobs you could do on some sweet Mandalorian armour models!

Guest Rebelsfan

Honestly, I'm not even much of a Mando fan, but the amount of obvious customization potential for them would seem to be difficult to ignore 

Mando faction seems like a good fit.

A generic "merc" faction is a bit boring but maybe a Hutt Empire faction could exist. Then there's also the Zann Consortium and the Black Sun. I believe we could find some other "scum" factions that could exist as their own army group.

Partisans could be a sort of sub-faction of Rebels that have some less-than-honorable tactics. If we get into multiple time eras, could have The Resistance as well as The Rebels and The First Order as well as The Galactic Empire.

You could have bounty hunters, mercenaries, and smugglers that sit outside of the factions but can be added to the different lists, perhaps with army-building costs dependant on their willingness to work with those groups.

(I haven't seen how army building works so I don't even know if that makes sense.)

Factions/units I'd like to see:

Storm troopers (core)

Rebel rangers (core)

Snow troopers

Echo Base  troopers

Rebel Troopers (the ones on the Tantive IV)

Ewoks

Wookies

Tusken raiders (with bantha riders)

Desert troopers (with Dewback cavalry)

Scum (Jabba's militia)

Band of bounty hunters (few high cost models with lots of upgrades/options)

Imperial Guard (the guys in red)

9 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

Factions/units I'd like to see:

Storm troopers (core)

Rebel rangers (core)

Snow troopers

Echo Base  troopers

Rebel Troopers (the ones on the Tantive IV)

Ewoks

Wookies

Tusken raiders (with bantha riders)

Desert troopers (with Dewback cavalry)

Scum (Jabba's militia)

Band of bounty hunters (few high cost models with lots of upgrades/options)

Imperial Guard (the guys in red)

I stopped reading when I got to "ewoks"... 

Star War is a rich and diverse universe you should tend to look into the following "grouping"

Imperial - Empire 
Rebellion - Rebel Alliance
Neutral - Night Sisters, Mercs, Black Sun, Hutt Cartel, Bounty Hunter Guild etc...
Sith - Sidious (Palpatine), Vader, Dooku, Maul etc...
Jedi - Obi-Wan, Yoda, Luke etc...

I am seeing lots of potential for the expansions, just remember though if they do eventually release an AT-AT any player against them will have some horrific time even with the use of Snowspeeders, they may actually hold off on AT-AT until they can come up with a counter balance because AT-AT were designed to take a beating and some. More Snowspeeders were destroyed than AT-ATs in the assault of Echo Base and of those ground troops on the Rebellion side none of their ground emplacements could even scratch the paint work. 

Quite literally you put an AT-AT in play that would pretty much be your entire points pool and your opponent would need to just hope and pray a Lightsaber will be able to get close to take out the legs.

44 minutes ago, VirMortalis said:

Star War is a rich and diverse universe you should tend to look into the following "grouping"

Imperial - Empire 
Rebellion - Rebel Alliance
Neutral - Night Sisters, Mercs, Black Sun, Hutt Cartel, Bounty Hunter Guild etc...
Sith - Sidious (Palpatine), Vader, Dooku, Maul etc...
Jedi - Obi-Wan, Yoda, Luke etc...

I am seeing lots of potential for the expansions, just remember though if they do eventually release an AT-AT any player against them will have some horrific time even with the use of Snowspeeders, they may actually hold off on AT-AT until they can come up with a counter balance because AT-AT were designed to take a beating and some. More Snowspeeders were destroyed than AT-ATs in the assault of Echo Base and of those ground troops on the Rebellion side none of their ground emplacements could even scratch the paint work. 

Quite literally you put an AT-AT in play that would pretty much be your entire points pool and your opponent would need to just hope and pray a Lightsaber will be able to get close to take out the legs.

Yeah when you put it like than I definitely  do not want an AT-AT in the game. It was never on my list of wants in the first places and the more I think about it I hope they don't try and jam in some epic only version but scaled down (inevitably full of must have standard upgrades).  I was never a fan of epic ships in X-Wing either. 

An AT-AT is more of a scenario unit than a standard game piece, if you have on of the often shown Star Wars miniatures game AT-ATs you could make a scenario where the AT-AT and perhaps some Troopers attack a rebel base, perhaps with gun emplacments. So you would have one AT-AT + support against a big army + fortificatins, that could really be fun. But it' nothing for normal play and I don't see a epic thing happening anytime soon if ever.

Edited by Iceeagle85

Anyone that ever played pre-8th 40K....here's what an AT-AT in the game is.

You arranged a normal game, and grabbed your effective, balanced all-comers list. They brought a Warlord Titan.

Its just not fun in most games. It CAN be fun, if you build a scenario around it, but otherwise the game degenerates to "most of my force can do nothing...if what's left can kill it I win, otherwise he wins". No tactics, just a "gear check", to use an MMO term.

In fairness I think expect FFG to be aware of that and try to avoid it, but there's a real fine line to walk.

I think you could do something with AT-AT units as a scenario but again they need to add something along the lines of this

Table Size: 12 x 6 

Imperial Points: 800

Rebellion Points: 1000

Scenario:

The Rebels have been able to establish a base on planet of Talus staging various assaults on Imperial bases in the Corellian system, however, the Imperial scouts sent by Lord Vader himself have found the base and have relayed the coordinates to their sinister commander. 

Knowing that they have been spotted the Rebels have started to reinforce the bases defences ready for the Orbital bombardment and possible ground assault. Several days pass until the Imperial fleet arrives and Lord Vader personally is overseeing the ground assault and deploys a strike force from his person 501st Legion.

Rebel scouts relay the worrying news that Imperial walkers have been spotted approaching the base, and the base goes into alert, with pilots scrambling to get to their fighters and speeders.

Setup:

Imperial: Deploy the AT-AT at the opposite side to the Rebel base with the rear of the base touching the edge of the game board, The AT-AT may move up to 1 space per turn and may use the Side Mounted guns and the Chin Gun at Range 3 or Power up the Chin Guns for a Pierce 5 ranged attack of range 2. The AT-AT will always activate last. (Free Cost)

Darth Vader must be used as your commander and the Imperials can not deploy another commander in this scenario

Rebellion: The Rebels deploy their troops at and around the base and any trenches, bunkers, barricades etc... they have set up receiving Heavy Cover

Special Actions:

Rebel players may choose to send squad to the designated "Hanger" and launch a fighter squadron that will attack the AT-AT directly. If the Rebel player chooses to do this, that squadron of troops can not be used for 3 turns, 1st turn entering hanger, 2nd turn Fighters attack and expose (requires 3 hits)  the AT-AT for 1 activation allowing ground emplacement to damage the AT-AT walker. The 3rd turn is the Squadron returning to the Hanger and exiting the fighters.

Rebel Ground Emplacements:  May target Ground and AT-AT when exposed.

When Rebels activate the fighter squadron the Imperial player may use the AT-AT attack to shoot the fighters, this will act as its attack activation for this round, any fighters destroyed will result in the death of 1 of the Rebel troopers that entered the Hanger.

Commanders can not pilot the fighters.

Win and Lose Conditions:

Imperial: The AT-AT is within attack range 2 of the Rebel base

Rebels: The destruction of the AT-AT walker 

Bonus Objective:

Imperial: The Rebel's commander is defeated

Rebels: Darth Vader is defeated and forced to withdraw

This is at least an idea for an Epic scenario

Edited by VirMortalis

IMO they will do something similar to destiny, but a bit different, with factions.

Personally i would propose,(and i beleive this is the way it will end up) that we will have "Light", "Dark", and "Grey" units/Factions. Grey would have some overlap into both factions, or could function as their own entirely.

On 8/21/2017 at 3:09 AM, BigKahuna said:

This.

X-wing is fun, once you step away from tournaments. I play maybe 2-3 events a year. Otherwise, I'm flying stuff with friends and family. Part of it is that once you go epic or mission/campaign base, all those models you're sitting on you can use again. My event games feel different than my casual ones, for obvious reasons.

I think 2 factions is fine for this game. Focus on different objectives, terrain, etc. Slowly roll out more types of units (wookie troopers, dark troopers, stuff like that).

Ffg could make just as much money selling terrain pieces for this game as they could with more waves of units. Maybe more because nobody wants only ONE game format.

about all that would make sense is Scum w/o breaching timelines, but they'd be better off as just bounty hunters in this format.
You could probably make a faction out of several larger Scum groups but they would be highly limited and eventually tap out on design options.

You could also release Prequel factions and TFA era factions as separate entities and it would work fine, course that breaches the timelines barrier. The only issue with that is the sheer rage fanboys would shriek about with since they cant have Kylo with his grandpappy in the same list or that *gasp* prequels exist!

Edited by Vineheart01