Guest vtarin

More Factions?

Guest vtarin

Do you think there will be more than 2 factions? Scum & Villainy? others?

I feel that only 2 factions is very low count for this type of game ( rw has 4, 40k has many more)

I would prefer solution similar to Star Wars card game: 2 sides - "light" and "dark", and 3 factions at each side (I do not remember exactly, but there was Imperial Navy, Siths, Jedi, Rebellion, Scum) which could be joined with some limitations.

I would like to see something similar in Legion. 6 or 8 factions from two big "sides", which can borrow units between factions from the same side (like, for example, "you can include up to 3 unit groups from other Light Side factions in your deployment").

What would the factions be, I have no idea.

Edited by Jarema

Scum wouldn't be easy, yes there are cartels and stuff that could muster an army the size Legions needs but most people probably wouldn't know them, but then X-Wing got a Scum faction and I didn't know most of those ships.

But shouldn't Armada get a second faction before this?

Resistance and First Order will probably only be subfactions I would think, they could perhaps do the Republic army and the CIS if they don't mind mixing different eras.

Scum's easy. "Here's a band of hired thugs, this is the Hutt that is leading them, and they have IG-88 on contract."

It's just like X-Wing. The scale is small and personable enough that Scum won't feel left out because they don't have bigger fish. They won't fit in Armada because they never amass in groups large enough to participate in fleet battles.

Big question is if Disney/Lucasfilm is "over" the prequels being not so good or not?

Part of the reason Clone War era stuff dropped off the market for a while was in the approach to TFA and R1 the marketing team wanted everyone to remember the original films, and forget the prequels. Even going as far as to call Rogue One a "stand-alone" when it was actually a prequel, and just hope everyone was so excited about Star Wars they wouldn't notice.

So, if the marketing team is over itself, and confident that a couple Clone Wars products won't soil the good name the newer films have worked to get, then they may allow it. 

Additionally, adding more armies does not a good game make. Look to 40k. There's virtually every possible option depending on your own playstyle. But there's always a kurfluffle  when a new army book comes out an either  imbalances the game, or nerfs a fan favorite. And don't get me started on the sub-army issue, or the expense of keeping up.

Finally FFG may want to stay a game company. GW is essentially a model company that happens to make games to help sell models. They weren't always, but they are now, because at a certain point that's what they had to do to keep profits where they needed to be. FFG may want to avoid that, not to mention investing it all in a Licensed product only to have to shut down when people get tired of Star Wars, or the license agreement gets to expensive.

Now, this is very old info at this poin, but....if I recall one of the X-Wing devs once said there would never be clone wars stuff since they didn't have the licence for prequel things, and had no interest in buying it.

whether that remains true or not I have no idea, but the fact remains that there are zero prequel models still (the ARC is also in Rogue One novel and elsewhere), so it may be. 

As as I said, old info so take it for what it is....anecdotal but once potentially accurate.

Guest Umgrimm

I dont see a scum army. Do they really fight in mass against the Imperials or rebels? I dont think so. I also cant picture it. Star wars: An epic battle between the good, the evil and the in betweens? I see them more as guns for hire and only a couple. I rather like factions within the two armies. 

3 hours ago, Guest Umgrimm said:

I dont see a scum army. Do they really fight in mass against the Imperials or rebels? I dont think so. I also cant picture it. Star wars: An epic battle between the good, the evil and the in betweens? I see them more as guns for hire and only a couple. I rather like factions within the two armies. 

I keep asking myself the same thing whenever I consider Scum for X-Wing yet... there they are. Given how I hear they've performed in X-Wing... I'm very happy they haven't shown up in Armada.

Someone could easily conjure a scenario where some uppety Imperial commander won't take no for an answer and decides to lead his troops to the local Hutt's residence for some "inspections". He'll be met with the Gamorean guardsmen and the pet rancor.

5 hours ago, Extropia said:

Now, this is very old info at this poin, but....if I recall one of the X-Wing devs once said there would never be clone wars stuff since they didn't have the licence for prequel things, and had no interest in buying it.

whether that remains true or not I have no idea, but the fact remains that there are zero prequel models still (the ARC is also in Rogue One novel and elsewhere), so it may be. 

As as I said, old info so take it for what it is....anecdotal but once potentially accurate.

There's loads of prequel characters in Destiny.

Edited by player1750031

4 hours ago, Guest Umgrimm said:

yeah probably.. i dont know how much heroes u can have in this game , but im not seeing storm troopers getting leaded by boba fett or something like that.. 

4 hours ago, Guest Umgrimm said:

I dont see a scum army. Do they really fight in mass against the Imperials or rebels? I dont think so.

Depends what you mean by 'en masse'. An Imperial armoured division vs. several hundred Rodian smugglers? Nah, I don't think so either.

A platoon of Stormtroopers raiding a Hutt's warehouse and met with three dozen hired goons? That seems plausible. And that's exactly the scale of a Legion game.

Edited by player1750031

Lots of good points here. Me thinking out loud here, I think it is more likely you will see merc troops augment one side or the other. Think Boba Fett being accompanied by a squad (or two) of stormies on Bespin. Could see something along those lines. Personally I want to see a healthy does of aliens on the Rebel side. I saw the Duros heads and that is a good start. Wookies, of course, and twi'ileks would be great along with just about everything else under the sun. And yeah, seeing a squad or three of Gamorreans would be nifty rad!

As Mercenary units that sit in the 'Gray' zone, useable by both sides. I'm sure Boba Fett would work with the Rebel Alliance if it suited his needs. This looks like a tabeltop game vs a campaign game like IA; which means that 'factions' will be limited to Light and Dark (as suggested earlier). If they're not careful, the game could quickly fall into RoboTech RPG Tactics; with so few options, available as factions and models. RoboTech Tactics is an OK game (as mechanics go), but the game has a very limited offering long term.

I would not like FFG to fail in a Star Wars game that they have clearly heavily invested into.

2 factions is Star Wars, but you could easily create sub-factions: Imperial Army, Marines and Planetary Militias or for Rebels have armies for Wookie Uprisings, Commando Raid or Planetary Militias.

I also expect that like Armada, an army playing Darth Vader may have different units and equipment when compared to a Veers lead army. 

Guest Umgrimm

with the Rebels you also have to think of the numerous worlds. There can be a Tatooine faction or a Dantooine, Yavin, Hoth faction. For the Imperials thats another case because they should all look alike but thennyou can think of the planet types like Hoth, very cold or Tatooine, hot, and so on. So groups of soldiers with specialized gear for the enviroment.