Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vonstryker

Thinking about it

16 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about getting a game that is simple enough and quick to set up and play, mainly so that me and my wife can both play. Neither one of us are experienced card gamers. I am a miniatures gamer.

In your honest opinion, is this worth getting into? We will not be competetive in any way

I tried to get her into x-wing, but it was too boring for her :D

Thanks for your opinion

At a casual level the game can be very fun. Most the issues with the game are some character abilities that are completely imbalanced. If you aren't worried about having the ultimate tournament deck, then the game is quite fun. Tier 3 to Tier 1.5 decks are fun and provide a decent Star Wars experience.

Just playing for fun with two people, this game is awesome! Just buy the base packs. Pretty hard to find such a fun game for just $30! 

The only real issue is how much you want to invest in the game, in both time and money While the Starter Sets are great as a taster, they don't have that much variety if you intend to play it a fair bit. And then you've got to start looking at the cost to get a decent amount of product to let you do some proper deck building. And it's going to be much more of an issue if you want to play with the 'main' characters.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Abyss said:

The only real issue is how much you want to invest in the game, in both time and money While the Starter Sets are great as a taster, they don't have that much variety if you intend to play it a fair bit. And then you've got to start looking at the cost to get a decent amount of product to let you do some proper deck building. And it's going to be much more of an issue if you want to play with the 'main' characters.

why is it going to be an "issue" to play the main characters?

also, I am going to buy both Starter sets and a few packs today

which booster should I get? I am planning on getting some boosters to start out

to answer other questions, it depends on how much she likes it, if she does, it just means periodically i'll buy some with her

if I like it, I found out that my LGS has a league and a decent amount of players and then it just becomes a day of the week where I go play

with the other locals.

Edited by vonstryker

After getting the 2 starters, i suggest you get around 10 Spirit of Rebellion boosters, they tend to have better % to have descent stuff. After a while you will also learn what is your favorite play style.

Enventually, when you decide wich good deck you want to build, it is cheaper to purchase the cards you need for it.

Chak

The reason it's an "issue" to get the main characters is that Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Jabba the Hutt, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Poe Dameron, etc. are all "legendary", and your odds of getting a "legendary" card are only one in every six packs you open.

Chak is right that competitively, the average Spirit of Rebellion pack is better, but many of the more valuable cards (and all the main characters I just listed) are in Awakenings.

And yeah, if you want to go play with the people at your LGS, it's probably not necessary to have the best deck ever, but you might want to look at building a "good" deck or two. Vader (SoR)/Kylo is a really nice, cheap deck that does great (I just won a friendly tournament with a version that could be bought as individual cards on eBay for well under $100, and one of my friends helped me figure out how, on a budget, I could get it under $50!)

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, vonstryker said:

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about getting a game that is simple enough and quick to set up and play, mainly so that me and my wife can both play. Neither one of us are experienced card gamers. I am a miniatures gamer.

In your honest opinion, is this worth getting into? We will not be competetive in any way

Thanks for your opinion

I love Destiny, but the CCG format is beginning to bug me.  If you're worried that not being able to get the cards you want  (without having to pay outrageous singles prices) will effect your enjoyment of the game,  then buy Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn (a living card game with similar game play as Destiny).

Edited by Stone37

20 hours ago, vonstryker said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your opinion

IMO, yes it's worth getting into. I got the starters so I could play with my son and it quickly turned into multiplayer games with my wife joining us on the fun. We've since bought tons of boosters and a few boxes. My son and I will have played quite a bit at our local shop, but we still mostly play casually in our home and have a blast.

Outside of X-Wing and Pokemon, this was the first game we've all REALLY gotten into.

If your both Star Wars fans, it won't take much to get hooked. Games go fast and it's easy to set up and play. You can skip the collecting, just grab a few packs here or there and it'll provide many hours of fun.

Posted (edited)

ok, i've bought two starters, and a few packs and there is something I have a question about.

as I was reading the cards and the rulebook. I noticed that characters like Tusken Raider and Qui-Gon Jinn 

have two point values but both only have a single die each. as per the rule book and watching a team covenant video on youtube, if you choose the one with the

higher point value, you can have two as opposed to one die for the lower point value.

what benefit do I gain from spending more points on a unique character?

never mind, I found my answer, if I manage to get two of the same character for their dice, I can use the higher point value and use the second die from the second card.

Edited by vonstryker

14 hours ago, vonstryker said:

ok, i've bought two starters, and a few packs and there is something I have a question about.

as I was reading the cards and the rulebook. I noticed that characters like Tusken Raider and Qui-Gon Jinn 

have two point values but both only have a single die each. as per the rule book and watching a team covenant video on youtube, if you choose the one with the

higher point value, you can have two as opposed to one die for the lower point value.

never mind, I found my answer, if I manage to get two of the same character for their dice, I can use the higher point value and use the second die from the second card.

Correct. The downside to playing elite(2 dice) characters, is having to pull another copy of the character. Not to bad if it's a Rare, but difficult if the character is Legendary.

15 hours ago, vonstryker said:

One thing to note, using elite(two die) can only be done with unique characters, who are identified by a little cross symbol by their name. Qui-Gon will have one but Tusken will not. You can play as many non-uniques as you like, Tusken costs 9 points for each of him that you play.

Posted (edited)

My girlfriend and I are playing the new Dargoborne CCG.  It is, "just for us."  No one to keep up with, no meta pressure.  If you are doing things at your pace, as a couple, i think it is a system in which you can share your collection together very well.

Edited by Blutsteigen