Guest LiveWire X

Will You Still Legion If

Having (or not) AT-AT's in this game is secondary to a majority of people in deciding if theyre going to buy it (or not).

First its a ruleswise and willingness to play in a squad scale free mode (i.e. not using the skirmish mode of IA).

Second is a budget concern (maybe its a primary concern for some). Players already play some form of FFG Star Wars related game (X-Wing, Armada, IA) and they dont have the money to invest in a second or a third game (or fourth).

Third is a wait and see in how and by how much FFG are going to sell the expansions. We already know theres vehicles planned so I would bet that an AT-AT isnt a far fetched option (like the Epic scale in X-Wing an AT-AT doesnt need to be in the proper scale to make it work in Legion - could be in some special scenarios and shouldnt be allowed in tournaments for example).

Fourth... Its a business for FFG. Im sure they wont waste the oportunity to cash in a few more dollars by not releasing a vehicle thats a wet dream for most Star Wars fans. Ohhh... and we already know that the First Order will field their version of AT-AT's in The Last Jedi...

Of course there always some guys which will decide based on that but it will be a minority.

Edited by Kentares

I just saw FFG In Flight report in GenCon on youtube and in my opinion its a given that there will be AT-AT's on the game judging by the reaction of the... sorry cant remember his name... when asked about vehicles in Legion in the final Q&A part.

Also just came to mind... ships in Armada arent properly scaled among each other.

Edited by Kentares

Why this matters to me so much is because the smaller scale allows more armor units and vehicles to enter the fray... which is what I'd want. I'm more interested in vehicle-on-vehicle combat with infantry more or less as a support option like fighters are to capital ships in Armada. If vehicles were more front and center, an AT-AT is more standard than novelty, and fighters could participate for large, epic battles. It would be more like the Battle of Hoth because there were at least three kinds of vehicles in play (T-47s vs AT-AT and AT-ST) fighting emplacements, with Infantry. You cover the most amount of "stuff" in star wars ground battles that way.

Legion-as-infantry battles covers situations like Endor or Scarif, where it's really individual troopers and stand-out characters figthing mobs of other troopers and characters. It very much overlaps with Imperial Assault, because some trooper battles like the Tantive IV and the shootout in Cloud City could be performed just as easily there as in Legion.

What legion does vs IA is making it easier to move around units and have more of them. An AT-ST is problematic in Imperial Assault because you can't fit those kinds of units in caves and interiors... but the open air allows these medium armor units and tanks to have more lattiude for maneuver. Just not... a lot of space for heavy armor, because it's massive next to normal infantry, even if you use some sliding scale.

I'll be more disappointed if we get an AT-AT and it's half as big as it should be. 

I think the game is the wrong scale for an AT-AT. 
An AT-ST might be possible but would still be pretty big. I'd expect to see that at some stage. 

They might at release and AT-AT at some stage and treat it more like Epic ships in X-wing, or have is as some massive bit of terrain. 
I think we'll see plenty of smaller vehicles and ridden creatures (Tauntaun, Dewback etc) rather than AT-ATs

And yes, I'll still get it without an AT-AT. I won't even be too concerned if we don't get an AT-ST. 

13 minutes ago, LiveWire X said:

Yea, I just feel like they already did this game and it was called Imperial Assault. So I hope they have iconic vehicles in the mix. 

Known vehicles: AT-RT's, Z47's

Hinted at: AT-ST's, snow speeders

20 hours ago, Dice lord said:

The knee jerk reaction of a few has been negative due to the scale seemingly imposing a restriction on the inclusion of one vehicle seen primarily in only one battle (the beloved AT-AT at Hoth). 

Actually, it has seemed to me that most of the negativity is due to a perception that you won't be able to use IA miniatures in this because of a slight scale difference. Not the issue of an AT-AT. 

Even if ffg doesn't do it, the fan base will. Mind you if you think there gnashing of teeth over scale now, wait till they decide to  sliding scale it the way they did with xwing epic ships.....

Until ffg decides what it's going to do there are a multitude of kit models and printable stls out there. Rules will be made, debated suggested and adjusted. It's one thing you can count on with the type of  commuinty that forms around these types of game

Edited by Ralgon

4 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

Actually, it has seemed to me that most of the negativity is due to a perception that you won't be able to use IA miniatures in this because of a slight scale difference. Not the issue of an AT-AT. 

You're right, it's moved (quickly) from one to another.

The AT-AT is extremely important to me, but mostly as a model. FFG releasing an AT-AT for Legion would result in a better quality model at a significantly better price than you'd be able to get at the same size anywhere else. It's the same reason I want an SSD for Armada (scale be damned) I would love to use one in game, but more importantly to have a large good looking SSD Model for significantly cheaper than you can get anywhere else.  I'll be buying Legion because the game is going to be often and the loads of storm troopers flanking Vader is going to look awesome on my display, but not getting an AT-AT from FFG at some point would be both very surprising and very disappointing. It can be at a sliding scale if necessary and epic only I'd happily part with $100 for one (probably would buy at least 5 at that price) and I'm not the only one. To answer the original question though if I knew for certain Legion wasn't getting one; I would still buy, yes.

On 8/20/2017 at 8:48 PM, Orcdruid said:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is balance. It seems to me that an AT-AT would be either a story piece or legions jumpmaster. Neither of those options would be good for the game.

If the game focuses heavily on objectives how could an AT-AT as a story piece definitively be bad for the game?

I would still buy this game.  I am not sure a large scale game is totally feasible in the galactic civil war period.  During prequel era for sure, and you could have at-ats which probably started appearing by the end of the Clone Wars.

Guest SRSn1per

Maybe it's just me, but I really could care less about the at-at. It just seems so ridiculous that people would not buy something just because it may not have 1 vehicle. I don't see the appeal of the at-at. 

Give me more Jedi figs or clone troopers, death troopers etc.

Here's the thing about AT-ATs on small maps, especially vs mostly infantry: they are catastrophically unfun (eg see WotC's AT-AT).  They just sort of walk forward slowly as if on rails and roll dice at stuff that roll piles of dice back at it.  It's like the least tactically interesting thing you could have going on.  On anything as small as a 4x8 wargaming table, there's just not sufficient room for an AT-AT's lumbering approach to be interesting.

If Legion had been at like Epic 40k's scale, where AT-ATs were like 15mm high and you fielded dozens of them in a battle...sure.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

On 8/20/2017 at 9:31 AM, Engine25 said:

Is it a problem for people if the figures aren't all to scale with one another?  I'd rather get an AT-AT thats 50-75% the correct size in comparison to troopers than not get an AT-AT at all.

People still bought the Huge Ships for X-wing, and those utilize sliding scale.  Most content in those releases isn't even playable in the Standard Format.

scale is something that gets finicky. it works in x-wing and armada because you have a preceive Z axis that you can cheat. you can claim a CR-90 is flying "higher" than the isd and thats why its bigger than it should be.  This is much harder to achieve on ground level.

A big draw and selling point to miniature wargaming is the immersion factor.  "getting lost in the game" is make or break for a lot of people.  If you can start pushing models and rolling dice and forget its a game and let your minds eye wander to just it being a movie or something, those games do the best.  This is the one thing GW was able to achieve for a long time.  Cinematic games that not only were fun but looked and felt like movies.  This was particularly true for Fantasy when you had flying dragons on the same table as Knights and rank and file bricks of infantry.  it just looked impressive.  Making sure your customers are immersed in the game you sell is one of the top priorities for game companies.  its why so many people make 40k-esk terrain because they know there are people willing to pay for the immersion. 

20 hours ago, benskywalker said:

If the game focuses heavily on objectives how could an AT-AT as a story piece definitively be bad for the game?

So here was my thought process 

For the rebs, the at-at is a powerful vehicle and it doesn't seem like the rebels have much to be able to deal with it. So, if it were thematic it would be an instant NPE when it was on the table.

For the imps, when I say story piece i mean tied to one objective or a campaign. Imperial players want to be able to actually play with it so limiting it like that would upset them.