Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alexbobspoons

Hardest Quests Up-to-date?

13 posts in this topic

Okay :) after recently doing some hard quests, I wondered what people thought were the hardest as my googling produces this question very out-of-date.

So, hardest quest? Following catagories:

1: Hardest standard quest to-date

2: Hardest standard quest to-date progression-style

3: Hardest Nightmare quest to-date

4: Hardest Nightmare quest to-date progression-style

Feel free to add some runners-up to any category you wish.

For me, I only play progression and have not yet touched Nightmare, so:

Category 2: (In order so-far) Battle of Laketown, Peril in Pelargir, Siege of Cair Andros (Honourable mention for Escape From Dol Guldur which was really hard but I only had a couple of goes before moving on).

Curious in peoples thoughts :)

I think you'll have to break it up in terms of solo and multiplayer to get a sensible ranking. For instance, nightmare Blood of Gondor is not too difficult in solo, but in 4 player it becomes so insane it basically breaks.

Here's my solo ranking:

1: Hardest standard quest to-date

• Escape from Dol Guldur

2: Hardest standard quest to-date progression-style

• Escape from Dol Guldur

3: Hardest Nightmare quest to-date

• Escape from Dol Guldur

4: Hardest Nightmare quest to-date progression-style

• Escape from Dol Guldur

Kinda boring isn't it? In solo, due to the captured hero, it's super hard to get anything above a 33% win rate. Any other quest, if you build specifically for it, can be beaten more consistently and with a wider variety of decks.

I guess what would be more interesting is if I shared my #2 solo picks:

1: 2nd Hardest standard quest to-date

• Siege of Annuminas (Non-POD goes to The Battle of Carn Dum)

2: 2nd Hardest standard quest to-date progression-style

• Siege of Annuminas (Non-POD goes to The Battle of Carn Dum)

3: 2nd Hardest Nightmare quest to-date

• The Battle of the Five Armies

4: 2nd Hardest Nightmare quest to-date progression-style

• Return to Mirkwood

For multiplayer, there are too many variables to consider, like number of players and whether the decks are built to synergize or not.

As Seastan says Escape from Dol Guldur take it all. If you want some another name:

Nightmare:

Battle of Five Armies

Encounter at Amon Din

Normal:

Battle of Carn Dum

Pelennor something

Belegost something

Good luck :).

alexbobspoons likes this

I'd agree, but would like to add that for me Dol Guldur doesn't FEEL like the hardet quest anymore, even if the winrate possibly is the lowest. Most of the times you loose Dol Guldur because the randomly captured hero destroys your game plan and you just concede and restart. A loss in the book, but do you feel like you just lost? I don't. Where as loosing stuff like Carn Dum (didn't play annuminas yet, it's waiting in the shelf) is much more devestating when you loose after 6 turns because a treachery/scorcery chain double flips thaurdir.
So for the hardest quest non progression style I would say Carn Dum (until I check out Annuminas :D), because the normal Dol Guldur doesn't instill the horror anymore it once did.
You could even say the psychological burden something like Carn Dum has (always fearing a blowout) makes it harder to beat than Dol Guldur, which you just restart :D

alexbobspoons and Authraw like this

On 19.8.2017 at 11:07 PM, Calvadur said:

I'd agree, but would like to add that for me Dol Guldur doesn't FEEL like the hardet quest anymore, even if the winrate possibly is the lowest. Most of the times you loose Dol Guldur because the randomly captured hero destroys your game plan and you just concede and restart. A loss in the book, but do you feel like you just lost? I don't. Where as loosing stuff like Carn Dum (didn't play annuminas yet, it's waiting in the shelf) is much more devestating when you loose after 6 turns because a treachery/scorcery chain double flips thaurdir.
So for the hardest quest non progression style I would say Carn Dum (until I check out Annuminas :D), because the normal Dol Guldur doesn't instill the horror anymore it once did.
You could even say the psychological burden something like Carn Dum has (always fearing a blowout) makes it harder to beat than Dol Guldur, which you just restart :D

I would agree that in solo non-progression style Battle of Carn Dum has beaten Escape from Dol Guldur. I do use the house rule that I get to choose the captive hero (so a max win rate of 33% ) even with my mid-size cardpool Escape from Dol Guldur has become manageable. 

alexbobspoons likes this

Posted (edited)

I admit I do not really go back to Escape from Dol Guldur (normal mode) with the full current card pool very often. I'm sure it's possible now with all our hero choices to build a deck that is not reliant on a specific captured hero. 

But with a power deck (Outlands, Caldara, Elrond/Vilya) or the right gimmicky deck (traps) you can achieve an incredibly high win rate against Carn Dum. Escape from Dol Guldur offers much more resistance to being "solved".

Again, this is for solo. For 2 player and up Carn Dum is harder, no question.

Edited by Seastan
alexbobspoons likes this

I've been playing LoTR LCG for 6 years and I've never beaten Dol Guldur solo. The only way I've ever managed it was Fellowship rules (where you have 6 heroes in one hand). 

I've also never beaten Lake Town, but in all fairness I haven't played that for a couple of years. 

alexbobspoons likes this

I don't play solo (usually two or three player) so here's my multiplayer list:

1.  Battle of Carn Dum (runaway leader)

2. Shadow and Flame (6th AP in Dwarrowdelf cycle)

3.  Dunland Trap (1st AP in Ringmaker cycle)

4.  Ruins of Belegost (Gencon 2015)

I haven't play the saga quests yet and just started with the nightmare quests.  Not sure what progression style means (only use player cards released at the time the quest was first available?) so I can't comment on that either.

alexbobspoons likes this

On 31/08/2017 at 7:05 PM, TXCanuck said:

I don't play solo (usually two or three player) so here's my multiplayer list:

1.  Battle of Carn Dum (runaway leader)

2. Shadow and Flame (6th AP in Dwarrowdelf cycle)

3.  Dunland Trap (1st AP in Ringmaker cycle)

4.  Ruins of Belegost (Gencon 2015)

I haven't play the saga quests yet and just started with the nightmare quests.  Not sure what progression style means (only use player cards released at the time the quest was first available?) so I can't comment on that either.

Yes your guess at progression style is correct :)

For me, the nightmare version (in solo) of the Ninhin... the Nihn-inch... the Nine Inch... the Nin-Inh-Ilph... frack... the The Nîn-in-Eilph (!!!) is one of the toughest quests to beat... and I was never able to do it without Lore Aragorn.